Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Cleaning nitro buggy/truggy in between rounds >

Cleaning nitro buggy/truggy in between rounds

Cleaning nitro buggy/truggy in between rounds

Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Cleaning nitro buggy/truggy in between rounds

I'm looking to gather some intel on how you guys clean your nitro cars in between rounds. I don't really do much other then blow off the dirt with the air compressor and wipe down the body. However, I noticed at the last couple of race events that some drivers were obviously doing more than that. Their cars (inside and out) were spotless and very clean. So, are you guys cleaning your nitro buggy/truggy in between rounds? If so, to what extent?

1) Do you remove the engine and eletronics (servo, Rx, LiPO) and do a complete clean?
2) Do you leave the engine/electronics in place and just clean the front and rear of the car?
3) Do you cover up the engine (carb only) and servos and clean the whole car?

I searched the forum but majority of the threads were discussions about how to clean after a race event.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Simple Green, Lemon Pledge and assorted brushes..The amount of cleaning depends on the amount of time between rounds AND the importance of the actual race. I make sure all of my moving parts are free from mud and grime.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

paint brush or parts cleaning brush and an air compressor. no liquids unless things are taken apart.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

+1 I focus on moving parts too, everything has to move freely especially on the drivetrain

Then I remove the dust and eventually mud, verify the screws tightening of the ones that have the biggest stress to it, , re-check my settings and that's about it.

I almost never break and my laptimes are quite regular so I don't see the need of doing anything else
Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Initiate

i take and cover the stuff i dont want wet then just spray it with a hose after it cools down.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default kalgard

To be honest, I use kalgard prep & shine. I spray the car pretty good before I go out. At the end of my run I can just blow/brush all the dirt/dust off the buggy very easily.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.C
I'm looking to gather some intel on how you guys clean your nitro cars in between rounds. I don't really do much other then blow off the dirt with the air compressor and wipe down the body. However, I noticed at the last couple of race events that some drivers were obviously doing more than that. Their cars (inside and out) were spotless and very clean. So, are you guys cleaning your nitro buggy/truggy in between rounds? If so, to what extent?

1) Do you remove the engine and eletronics (servo, Rx, LiPO) and do a complete clean?
2) Do you leave the engine/electronics in place and just clean the front and rear of the car?

I searched the forum but majority of the threads were discussions about how to clean after a race event.
At the bigger races I've seen folks break down their cars in between rounds as you've described in option 1.

But as Token said, it depends on time and the race. At the bigger races there are hours between events so you are afforded the time to do option 1. At local races, I'll do option 2, charge all batts, tighten all screws and make sure everything is moving freely. That gives me plenty of time to walk around to shoot the bull and check out trailers and other rigs.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 305M3
At the bigger races I've seen folks break down their cars in between rounds as you've described in option 1.

But as Token said, it depends on time and the race. At the bigger races there are hours between events so you are afforded the time to do option 1. At local races, I'll do option 2, charge all batts, tighten all screws and make sure everything is moving freely. That gives me plenty of time to walk around to shoot the bull and check out trailers and other rigs.
+1

That is my race day in a nutshell.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm wondering if a shop vac would be better than blowing things off with an air compressor? My bearings always get real gritty after a few dust offs with the air. I'm pretty sure it's blowing dirt around the seals and into the bearings.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

Originally Posted by johnny t
paint brush or parts cleaning brush and an air compressor. no liquids unless things are taken apart.
I use air compressor and old toothbrushes.....Orlal B to be exact haha...a small ammount of wd 40 sprayed on the brush then wiped off helps too, and a slightly wet rag (actual water) to wipe off the underside.

and I never take my car apart at the track. Clutch bearings and the clutch should last an entire day no matter what, unless you are doing something wrong, or have an OCD disorder....
Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by melonpeel
I'm wondering if a shop vac would be better than blowing things off with an air compressor? My bearings always get real gritty after a few dust offs with the air. I'm pretty sure it's blowing dirt around the seals and into the bearings.
I have the same feeling that's why I don't use the compressor in direction of the bearings or any fragile spot. You can remove most of the dust with brushes anyway
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by John.C

ahahhaa this is a very interesting topic...
just because you will hear very different opinion..
as far i m concerned...i m a maniac...i like my car always super clean..even if it will take you some of your free time, it will also prevent a lot of damages on the car itself especially moving parts..

that is how i go:
1) first thing i clean the car at the track with the air compressor, before i leave
2) once at home, i spend a couple of days (of course 1 or 2 hour per day) cleaning it very well..i remove engine, fuel tank and radio tray,
than i clean everything with powder remover and/or motor cleaner, sometimes i also wash plastics with soap..then i spray everything with wd40..
3) i clean the shocks (which i have already removed in step 2) and rebuild theme when i like..than i also check avery differential.
4) then i clean the motor from dust, the head and the body (external of course) and clean very very well the pipe to prevent any damages on the chrome,
always check the clutch and most important wash the filter foam with neutral soap and let it dry.
5) also clean wheels and let theme dry and finally i put everything together..

also note that:
- i check ball bearings every two track days..same for every moving parts..
- i can do all of these just because i run mostly just one or two days per month..so i like spend some free time (which is actually not too much) working on the car..and i also do it because is not rare that the car stays many days in the closet...if it is dirty it will be very bad.
- cleaning the car opening it apart will also give you the opportunity to find out if there is something broken or working not properly, a chance that you will miss if you just give the car a fast and inappropriate cleaning.
- cleaning my car is really a pleasure, the durango is very easy to disassemble..and has many solution that help you..like the possibility to vastly remove the radio tray and box including the two servos.
- than i come from electric touring cars...so that have everything alway super clean and neat is natural for me.

just to make you understand what i mean..this is my car after i finished to clean it..

hope it helps
Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by johnny t
+1 I can't afford to miss the next heat!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My stuff looks new only when I get to the track. During rounds I just brush and blow it off, and clean tires..go home, start all over again....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Kalgard Degreaser is THE SHIT.

In between rounds I will lightly coat my car with the degreaser and then blow it off. It gets the car very clean and allows me to visually inspect for anything out of the ordinary that may keep me from finishing a heat. Before the main, I will pull the motor out and plug it up so I can clean it and change the bearings. The degreaser does very well at cleaning any fuel residue or dirt off the motor as well so I will use it at this point. I will take the radio tray out and very lightly shoot it with a bit of degreaser and then quickly blow it off as well. I clean the rest of the car with degreaser and wipe any fuel or dirt off that might have gathered under the motor or radio tray. After the main I will do another quick cleaning with degreaser so the car looks good in podium photos!

Seriously though, a buddy showed me how good it worked and I immediately bought 6 cans. Makes cleaning and maintaining your car so much easier!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.