Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tire selction

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default tire selction

I would like to ask you, how you select tires.
As far as the type of tire depends on the track and the compound depends on the track temperature?
Lets say the track I am running is about 50-60 degrees on winter and 86-110 degrees om summer.
If I use proline or aka tires what compound should I select ?
m2 or medium for summer and m3 or soft for winter ?
Does the compound matter if the track is hardpacked or not.
The track I am reffering to, is hardpacked on the racing line with a lot of bumps and it has dust on the outside line.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For me it depends on how much grip is available in the surface itself. I almost always stick to a mid to small pin tire for the consistency. With large pin tires I feel "disconnected" with the track. They also have a tendency to grab the sharp edges of ruts. Large pin tires can be a "safe" tire, but they are rarely a fast choice. If it's hot, the track is abrasive, or has a lot of grip I'll choose a harder compound to either make it last through a main, make the car easier to drive by reducing grip, or both. Usually at night the track temperature will drop, and the moisture comes back up through the track making it slimy and slick. That's when I'll go to a really soft small pin tire. In those cases the abrasion goes away, so I don't have to worry about the tire lasting. For the track you're describing, I'd start with a PL M3/AKA Soft/JC Blue compound in a PL Tazer/AKA Impact/JC Hybrid type tread and go from there. Experiment with compounds. I wouldn't tailor your tire selection to what's happening off the racing line. Just drive the line.