Wiki Posts
Search

Bashing the mbx5

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default Bashing the mbx5

Hello guys,

Recently, I picked up a mbx5 prospec in pretty good nick.
It came complete with a JR R1 radio, sanwa hyper erg servos and an old O.S max rz engine which hasn't even been broken in.

Now, this being an old car, I won't race it, instead it will be used for some moderate bashing, a fun buggy so to speak.

I'm usually more of an electric guy (the last 1/8 off-road buggy I had was a turbo burns)so in order to get this thing running, I need among other things, a starter box.

That got me thinking, instead of getting a starter box, why not go for a more modern pull start/ez start engine?
That way I won't have to lug a starter box round.

So, I need your advise; what do you think?
Should I stick with the old engine or get a new one?
If I should get a new one, which one would you recommend?

Also, if you have any good tips or advise for the mbx5 itself, I'm all ears
Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

the RZ was a good engine back then and probably better still than some entry engines today so stick with it.

get a starter box not sure if any other type of starter will fit in there.

Nothing wrong with the MBX5 propsec a capable car still raceable, maybe not as nimble as some of todays newer chassis but good enough for mid order racers if they were honest enough to say so.

been a while since i raced the X5 but i think diffs were somewhere close to what people run with the X6 front and center between 5-10 rear 1-5 depends on surface, shocks around 25-35 I normall kept the front slightly harder, grey springs all round normally worked ok most places, tbh the X5 had the same set up parameters as the X6 and a lot of the set ups seem to work across the range, if anything the older car being heavier was easier to drive.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Adept

Thank for the info!

Yes, I know what you mean; I don't think I can drive a mbx5 to its full potential.