Wiki Posts
Search

Bump box

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Brand X might be worth a try. It's got twin 775 motors. Probably a copy of the OFNA. $37

http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-b7060-...tarterbox.html
That looks exactly like my dynamite Starter Box. It has been a great box. I run mine on a 12V Gel Cell battery.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlockHed
Can someone send a link to a 12v battery or do I just use an actual car battery?

Also what would u recommend for a 7.2v nimh?

I'm def going with the ofna box, now deciding on a power source
I have a gel cell just sitting at my hobby shop. Everyone here has joined the Lipo craze. I will give you the battery for free, Just pay shipping. compliments of Team Terribles
Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-t_sbs
I have owned the Blue Ofna bump box for over a year now. I was worried I paid too much when I bought it for $50 with two new Dynamite 3300nimh packs. Best investment I have made for a starter!!!! I have had no issues with it. I use it for both my buggy and my truggy.

I have also used the red rtr losi box.......its ok. The Ofna has spoiled me.
I hope you mean secondhand? We pay about $100USD for the box and about $30ea for the packs
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So, I'm getting confused w/ all these different connectors. What's the stock connector? What type of battery can this be used w/? I'm def. not going to attempt to solder something as I don't have the tools or knowledge. I'd like to get a box (preferably used) and slap something into it and then get my truggy going.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Lord

I'll send you what you need with the battery. Just charge the battery and connect the 2 plugs and your good to go.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Thats awesome, thanks again, but how do I know that the box will have the right connections for that battery? I apologize for being a pain, but want to make sure I'm getting the right used box that doesn't have some make shift connectors.

With that, do you think I'd be better off just buying it new, or are starter boxes a fairly safe bet buying used?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BlockHed
Thats awesome, thanks again, but how do I know that the box will have the right connections for that battery? I apologize for being a pain, but want to make sure I'm getting the right used box that doesn't have some make shift connectors.

With that, do you think I'd be better off just buying it new, or are starter boxes a fairly safe bet buying used?
Its always better to buy new. There are allot of people who sell their headaches. Motors get weak, motors get fried, connections go bad, switches go bad, contact patches melt.....there are quite a few things that can make a starter box not work the way it is supposed to, especially in the hands of a inexperienced RC user. Stick to the OFNA TRUGGY box, new or used and make sure the seller sends you all the parts that came with it. The wires have a Tamiya type plug that will connect to another Tamiya plug that can be then made (or Bought) to connect to 3 different types of batteries, ( NIMH stick packs (2) ), One large 12 volt gell cell, or a Lipo. I will send you the plug and charge lead for the gell cell. Just make sure you get a box that has not been re-wired, or buy a new one. If its been re-wired, you will have to get someone to help you with soldering to make it work with a gel cell because nobody re-wires a box to use Gel or NIMH batteries
Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Its always better to buy new. There are allot of people who sell their headaches. Motors get weak, motors get fried, connections go bad, switches go bad, contact patches melt.....there are quite a few things that can make a starter box not work the way it is supposed to, especially in the hands of a inexperienced RC user. Stick to the OFNA TRUGGY box, new or used and make sure the seller sends you all the parts that came with it. The wires have a Tamiya type plug that will connect to another Tamiya plug that can be then made (or Bought) to connect to 3 different types of batteries, ( NIMH stick packs (2) ), One large 12 volt gell cell, or a Lipo. I will send you the plug and charge lead for the gell cell. Just make sure you get a box that has not been re-wired, or buy a new one. If its been re-wired, you will have to get someone to help you with soldering to make it work with a gel cell because nobody re-wires a box to use Gel or NIMH batteries
Just pmed you pics of the box, I then saw your post. Mark_Australia said it was bullet connectors on the box, if you could look and see if that will work with your battery. If not I will just buy a new box, this way I know what's it gone through and will avoid headaches and know that I have the tamiya plugs.

Thanks again
Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Sorry if its been said. OFNA chrome top with 4s lipo
Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

FYI, ordering a new blue box, getting a battery from Jazz 240

Thanks everyone for your help
Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have a chrome top and love it! A little tip is to take off the screw that holds the top down and slap some Velcro in it, its so simple its stupid that I didn't think of it myself.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Got my Q World Truggy box which is exactly the same as the OFNA one, they even share the same part number 10244 from here http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...ducts_id=13991 for $67.80 US.
Shipping to Australia is cheap from Hong Kong, not sure what it would cost to the States. But anyway they're out of stock atm.

I ran a 20C 4S 5000 Lipo. All I did was rewired it and changed the plug to Deans. Worked flawlessly. I liked my Hudy starter box too but the same battery in that one blew the single motor. Also Hudy wheel wears really fast.

Mugen starter boxes have got a great reputation also for being very reliable. I've seen guys racing with the same Mugen starter box for years and years. They look very plain but work very well.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Like everybody else, Ofna chrome top with 4s Lipo. 1800 mAh can hold for an entire day.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Would the Ofna 10244 work with a buggy as well? I have a Revo 3.3 and a Losi 810 and if I can use one starter box that would be great. If not, do any of you have suggestions on a good box that would work for both vehicles?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hudy Box, lightweight with a lipo, top opens easy for charging the battery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.