Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New RB One 1/8 RTR - Grease Question >

New RB One 1/8 RTR - Grease Question

New RB One 1/8 RTR - Grease Question

Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New RB One 1/8 RTR - Grease Question

Hi everyone,

I just got the bug for r/c back and went and bought myself an RB One 1/8 RTR from the exceptionally helpful Pete & co. at muchadoabouttoys in Stratford On Avon - many thanks to them for all their help and advice.

I've been reading the instruction manual & in the maintenance section it specifically says about using the RB copper grease & the RB teflon grease on the vehicle.

I've managed to find it for sale at wheelspin models and severndale RC, but it seems expensive for small pots of the stuff, albeit I know this isn't a cheap hobby by any means!!

My question to you gurus is this - do I really need to fork out for the RB stuff or what alternative(s) do you suggest? For instance, Halfords do copper grease for about £7 or £8 for a tub 5 times the size of the RB copper grease. Would this be the same stuff or do I specifically need r/c greases for the model?

Anyway, all help is very much appreciated and I hope you can point me in the direction of some bargains.

Cheers

Rick
Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Dont know if you guys can get this stuff over there, but I use:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=46&loc=show

for all of my 1/8th scale stuff (ring and pinion gears) not much else should use grease.

I dont see any reason why RB requires any special grease, other than to help remove money from your pocket.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The scope of the R/C industry is too small to have greases custom engineered/made for it. Most R/C grease and oil is just repackaged from suppliers that were blends intended for other industry applications.

Keeping your car clean, proper surface prepping, and regularly maintaining it are far more important factors than the brand (not type) grease you choose. And the grease you choose should depend on the application...
Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks lads for taking the time to reply.

@outtafocus - no, i've never seen that lucasoil grease here in the UK - is it a general purpose grease or sold as an automotive product?

@Rsickles - thanks mate, i think you're right there - a niche market that's creating a void rather than filling a gap so to speak.

So then, the general concensus so far is that copper grease is copper grease regardless of brand & teflon grease is the same as any other good quality grease.

Cheers
Rick