Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Chassis Swap - Any Tips? >

Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Chassis Swap - Any Tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Chassis Swap - Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Smile Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Chassis Swap - Any Tips?

Hello all, I'm doing a chassis swap on my RTR to a tuned flex chassis. At the same time I am going to add rear inserts, shim and change diff fluid on all 3, change clutches, shock caps, shock towers, servo cap and servo arm...etc.

Any tips as to easiest steps e.g. front to back or just pull the engine and start swapping or perhaps it really makes no difference. I have done it with other vehicles but not a 8ight-T 2.0 so it never hurts to ask if there are any best ways to do this or things to be mindful of.

One last thing, I'll be adding a RE10 to the mix and have heard that the turbo head with this pipe is a bit much for the 454 - too much wheel spin. Any thoughts on this? Have not purchased the turbo button yet but it's only a $20 part.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jake C6R
Hello all, I'm doing a chassis swap on my RTR to a tuned flex chassis. At the same time I am going to add rear inserts, shim and change diff fluid on all 3, change clutches, shock caps, shock towers, servo cap and servo arm...etc.

Any tips as to easiest steps e.g. front to back or just pull the engine and start swapping or perhaps it really makes no difference. I have done it with other vehicles but not a 8ight-T 2.0 so it never hurts to ask if there are any best ways to do this or things to be mindful of.

One last thing, I'll be adding a RE10 to the mix and have heard that the turbo head with this pipe is a bit much for the 454 - too much wheel spin. Any thoughts on this? Have not purchased the turbo button yet but it's only a $20 part.

Thanks!
First tip- take your time! It really doesn't matter which you choose to do first, front or back, but i usually take out the motor, radio tray, front diff assy, rear diff assy, then center diff, and put them back in the reverse order after a good cleaning. Just make sure you check your radio trims and epa.
Pay attention to brake adjustment and that the motor is eactly 90deg to the spur gear. Once together, go through your car setup and adjust to your style.

The re10 with a turbo head for the 454 should be a good combo!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

8T- Thanks for the pointers, very helpful! I am excited to see the difference with all the upgrades. I've run it quite a bit with the only upgrades being the servos and I must say it has held up great!

Next challenge will be to find a setup that works where I run - I hear the V2 tower will make a big difference as well.

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jake C6R
8T- Thanks for the pointers, very helpful! I am excited to see the difference with all the upgrades. I've run it quite a bit with the only upgrades being the servos and I must say it has held up great!

Next challenge will be to find a setup that works where I run - I hear the V2 tower will make a big difference as well.

Thanks again!
You should notice a big improvment just changing the chassis. The V2 and the 10deg inclined spindles made a difference in how my truggy enters and steers through corners. Much better! Where do you run at? I mostly race at Hotrod Hobbies in Santa Clarita. Some great guy's race there!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

I have been out there as my buddy lives in Valencia - but just practice, no racing. I hope to be able to compete with the new setup and after more practice so I don't embarrass myself too badly!

I heard of another track in Camarillo at Freedom Park that is apparently open to the public. I need to check that one out. Might be another good spot for me to get some practice in.