R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Pls share your advanced air maneuver techniques, thanks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/590998-pls-share-your-advanced-air-maneuver-techniques-thanks.html)

mk74 01-24-2012 08:04 AM

Pls share your advanced air maneuver techniques, thanks

I'm trying to parctice this (on 1/8 buggy) and so far this is what I'm doing, and I think I'm still missing a step or 2 - I'm not really sure when to incorporate braking or throttle in the air.

Situation: Coming up on a jump with a left turn right after and would like to turn nose to the left n a lil down in the air somehow.

step 1 - right before launch while still on the lip I turn the wheel to the left
step 2 - after launch I quickly turn the wheel all the way right
step 3 - just b4 landing i turn the wheel to where I want the car to go

These alone seems to doesnt do much other than wiggle the car in the air a lil bit and as u can see braking n throttle is not part of this steps so when my car launched all weird in the air I have to abort the whole scenario and jus concentrate on leveling my car. I don't really know what the car will do when I brake or use throttle while my wheels are turned in the air. Couple of times my car was somehow on a barrel roll mid air and of course crash and I had no idea how it happened.

in the steps above do I brake b4 step 2 to nose down right away? or use the brake during step 2? or maybe use throttle somewhere in there?

Thanks guys

Panda-PR 01-24-2012 08:30 AM

Not sure why you're turning the wheels to the right. Anyways, use your brakes and the buggy will nose down. It takes practice, so go practice more!!

Precision1 01-24-2012 10:39 AM

Hmmm, maybe the drivers stand jump @ NorCal? ;)

Anyway for what it worth I would first try turning left while in air and just blip the brake to pull the nose down. You kinda want to straighten the wheels just before you land though.

You may even have to blip the throttle early on (while wheels cranked left) to pull the car left, then hit the brakes to get the nose down if it comes up.

Saturday @ NorCal?

inpuressa 01-24-2012 10:58 AM

I think everyone has seen this at least once.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

morgoth 01-24-2012 11:43 AM

Steer to the left just before you get launched.

Edumakated 01-24-2012 02:35 PM

Flick wheel to left in air to set the car up for a right hand turn. Flick wheel to right in air to set up for left hand turn.

It is also effective at scrubbing speed.

Just takes practice and kind of becomes instinctive.

mk74 01-24-2012 02:40 PM

LOL thats exactly where I'm picturing in my head when I'm writing this. Yeah its a possibility practice saturday for me.. I'll try ur tips thatnks.

Originally Posted by Precision1 (Post 10220006)
Hmmm, maybe the drivers stand jump @ NorCal? ;)

Anyway for what it worth I would first try turning left while in air and just blip the brake to pull the nose down. You kinda want to straighten the wheels just before you land though.

You may even have to blip the throttle early on (while wheels cranked left) to pull the car left, then hit the brakes to get the nose down if it comes up.

Saturday @ NorCal?

mk74 01-24-2012 02:51 PM

Exactly what I wanna accomplished.

In the video right after launched wheels were turned to the left, car tilted to the right and the back end was whipped to the left effectively setting up the car for that right turn. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think a throttle blip was applied right when the wheels turned to the left and that's what I'm gonna try next :).. thanks fellas!

Originally Posted by inpuressa (Post 10220101)
I think everyone has seen this at least once.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

morgoth 01-24-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mk74 (Post 10221153)
Exactly what I wanna accomplished.

In the video right after launched wheels were turned to the left, car tilted to the right and the back end was whipped to the left effectively setting up the car for that right turn. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think a throttle blip was applied right when the wheels turned to the left and that's what I'm gonna try next :).. thanks fellas!

You can also see that he starts steering to the right while he's on the jumps. Once you're in the air, the car will continue to rotate. And you can even more rotation by scrubbing in the air.

ForwardBite 01-24-2012 03:25 PM

IMO, it is counterproductive to focus on trying to whip, scrub, or unweight the car.

I see so many drivers trying to do this because they see more advanced drivers do it to set up for turns etc. and instead they actually make more mistakes and turn slower laps because they're focused more on the "wheel-wiggle" than the jump or next turn.

This technique will come naturally as one's driving level progresses. I suggest practicing what you know and getting faster without being fancy or looking cool.

SEF 01-24-2012 03:45 PM

The video of Drake jumping and setting up for the turn above is a perfect example of what you are trying to accomplish. The timing is very difficult, but he scrubs a little speed on the face of the jump (you can see the front suspension compress slightly and he's off throttle). Scrubing speed just before take off will help you fly level to nose down which is good, as opposed to staying on throttle and flying nose up which tends to slow you down (you can see when there is smoke coming from the pipe on throttle, and no smoke when he lets off).

On the face of the jump he turns right to set up for the right turn to follow. If he kept his wheels turning right, he would over rotate and not make the landing, and he would barrel roll in the air with the left side going down and the right side of his car up.

When he turns the wheels to the left, the right side of the car will rotate towards the ground. He is effectively leveling his car out to set him up for a square landing (ie landing with the weight of the car distributed as evenly as possible on all 4 wheels).

Now just before landing he turns his wheels to the right again to make the turn.

Note how much timing is involved here. For a jump with a right hand turn after, the amount you turn the wheels right, then left, then right again are crucial. You can overcorrect in the air. You can turn too far to the right at any time and not set up correctly for the right turn or spin out when you land. The throttle control is equally important leading up to the jump, on the jump, at takeoff, in the air, and while landing.

For any jump with a turn immediately after, the controls are all similar, but the amount of input will vary. This is what makes this so much fun:nod: Mastering these skills takes a ton of time. I love watching good driving, now I wish I could do it:lol:

NEMESIS44 01-24-2012 09:34 PM

I'm years from mastering that and I'm fine with that. As long as I keep getting better, I'm good.;)