Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What's up with odonnen racing??? >

What's up with odonnen racing???

What's up with odonnen racing???

Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 PM
  #1  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
b-man777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MA.
Posts: 944
Default What's up with odonnell racing???

Hey all: Just wondering what ever happened to O'Donnell racing vehicles since great planes dropped them and the O'Donnell site only shows their fuel and glow plugs now? thanks

Last edited by b-man777; 01-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.
b-man777 is offline  
Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
 
nitroexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,919
Default

Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Hey all: Just wondering what ever happened to O'Donnell racing vehicles since great planes dropped them and the O'Donnell site only shows their fuel and glow plugs now? thanks
O'Donnell racing vehicles are history.
nitroexpress is offline  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (295)
 
jonski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 3,346
Trader Rating: 295 (99%+)
Default

It's true. Hobbico and O'donnell were in bed together and they had a bitter divorce. I was kind of hoping that Hobbico would get all of the molds and make a Duratrax (Z01-T/B SG) 1/8 scale. The SG versions were pretty good, including the SG truggy that I got to see run but never made it to production. As of right not, the O'donnell brand is gon. Hobbico owns the O'donnell fuel and has for a long time.
jonski is offline  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
  #4  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
b-man777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MA.
Posts: 944
Default

Hy all: Thanks for the replies good info. So where does Steve O'Donnell go from here he had/has allot of great design ideas? Thanks for the info
b-man777 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
Stubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,184
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Hy all: Thanks for the replies good info. So where does Steve O'Donnell go from here he had/has allot of great design ideas? Thanks for the info
Steve has told me many times that he has no intention of leaving the RC industry, but he's also not going to go through the headaches of producing another vehicle line in an already saturated market.

Instead, he's said that he is, among other things, going back to focusing on producing accessories for all brands, making improvements to the glow plugs, rolling out a new nitro motor, and continuing the Team Checkpoint line of electric products.

2011 was spent dealing with the Hobbico split, as well as growing the non-RC side of O'Donnell Manufacturing. He said his goal for 2012 was to get going again on the RC stuff.

I'll continue to support O'Donnell Racing as much as possible, and I'm definitely itching to try out his new nitro engine.....
Stubbs is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
  #6  
Suspended
iTrader: (202)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Steve has told me many times that he has no intention of leaving the RC industry, but he's also not going to go through the headaches of producing another vehicle line in an already saturated market.

Instead, he's said that he is, among other things, going back to focusing on producing accessories for all brands, making improvements to the glow plugs, rolling out a new nitro motor, and continuing the Team Checkpoint line of electric products.

2011 was spent dealing with the Hobbico split, as well as growing the non-RC side of O'Donnell Manufacturing. He said his goal for 2012 was to get going again on the RC stuff.

I'll continue to support O'Donnell Racing as much as possible, and I'm definitely itching to try out his new nitro engine.....
thats awsome!
inferno13 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (68)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,583
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Would love to see Steve come back and make some noise. Great guy !
Greg B is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM
  #8  
Suspended
iTrader: (202)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Would love to see Steve come back and make some noise. Great guy !
as are you greg!! thanks again for pressing the pins for me!!
inferno13 is offline  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (68)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,583
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Not a problem.
Greg B is offline  
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 AM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
ScottyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami OK
Posts: 3,149
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Would love to see Steve come back and make some noise. Great guy !
I agree. still can't figure out how he is/was able to make glow plugs that work and last @ 1/3 the cost of other companies? Or is everyone else gouging us that badly??
ScottyM is offline  
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
  #11  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
b-man777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MA.
Posts: 944
Default

Hey all: When can we expect the new checkpoint products to hit the market and the checkpoint site to be updated? Thanks
b-man777 is offline  
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
Stubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,184
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Hey all: When can we expect the new checkpoint products to hit the market and the checkpoint site to be updated? Thanks
Last time I spoke to Steve, the website was being worked on, and new Checkpoint products were in the works, but he didn't say when everything would be ready.

Like I mentioned previously, his focus in the last half of 2011 was on the non-RC side of his business.
Stubbs is offline  
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
speedy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,890
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

still don't understand, things were better off, liquidating O'Donnell for good like that
than to sell the goods at a fair prize till they were used up
speedy2 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
  #14  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (48)
 
ssuga20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ontario, Oregon
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
I agree. still can't figure out how he is/was able to make glow plugs that work and last @ 1/3 the cost of other companies? Or is everyone else gouging us that badly??

+1

I hope he makes a comeback!
ssuga20 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.