Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
new to nitro and need some help >

new to nitro and need some help

new to nitro and need some help

Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Default new to nitro and need some help

Ok this is a really dumb question but here it goes. I was running last weekend indoor clay and my car seem to not be running like it was the weekend before. Was going through it tonight and found I didn't have a good seal from my header gasket to my pipe. When I adjust the pipe mount up front and pushed the pipe back figured I jared it from last practice do I made an adjust moved the pipe back to get a hood seal. Figured that was the loss of power source. After doing this I noticed the header had a cocked seal to the engine...really I'm not this dumb but what am I doing wrong.

Thanks

Josh
Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

what you are doing wrong is trying to force everything to fit with the stuff you have. Take off the pipe hanger completely and make sure your header and pipe are straight and level and all sealed good with your engine. Then you can connect the pipe hanger. There are situations where you will have to cut or bend the pipe hanger or even the header ( bend, dont cut) to make everything line up properly and seal good. You may also need to spin your pipe hanger mount, which is very simple just by loosening the screw on the bottom of the chassis. Having everything line up and seal good is more important than having it look nice.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry for the word predict but you guys get the point
Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool...what's the best method you found on bending a header? I don't want to monkey it up too bad...looks are not important I noticed a substantial performance loss end a hard time at idle. Is it common to bend a header from a good enough hit? Thanks for the quick response..also I notice I'm just messing the springs up pulling off with needle nose..us there a better method ?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah after looking at it closer my header looks bent. It's hooking in too far to the right where it meets the pipe. Don't know how I manged that or maybe an overlook when I bought it but I'm going to purchase a new one tomorrow. Any suggestion on a good one?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smash79
Cool...what's the best method you found on bending a header? I don't want to monkey it up too bad...looks are not important I noticed a substantial performance loss end a hard time at idle. Is it common to bend a header from a good enough hit? Thanks for the quick response..also I notice I'm just messing the springs up pulling off with needle nose..us there a better method ?
heat gun or small propane torch to heat it up works well, but i doubt you need to bend your header to make it fit right, adjust pipe mount (not at motor, the other end) and get it close and make sure you have a good gasket at motor and header/pipe and you should be good to go. what motor and pipe? i know some are not good to run together, the wrong pipe with a engine can either make pipe run hot (drying up gaskets) or the engine run hot. i have found that the 053 and the 086 will get hot when running on a long stroke engine, atleast has been my experiance. try to straighten things out first before you go bending headers, may save you time and money
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Initiate

I tried adjusting by pipe mount in front. Completely loosened and tried a few different positions and nothing seemed to line up. Engine is a ninja jx21 bo1a and pipe is a jammin Jp1 not sure on brand of header
Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Tech Initiate

As far as header to pipe gasket is pretty well hit. Looks like it was getting pinched and is sliced on engine side of the diameter
Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Initiate

I tried adjusting by pipe mount in front. Completely loosened and tried a few different positions and nothing seemed to line up. Engine is a ninja jx21 bo1a and pipe is a jammin Jp1 not sure on brand of header
that engine/pipe combo should be good, does it seem the pipe needs to go out or in towards the fuel tank more?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Initiate

As far as header to pipe gasket is pretty well hit. Looks like it was getting pinched and is sliced on engine side of the diameter
ok, sounds like your header may be bent to far then right?..... i have a jp-2 header if you want to give it a try since you dont know what header you have, throw me a pm and will send it to you free of charge and see if thats works better for you.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Yup exactly it would have to surpasses fuel tank for a proper seal...thanks man pm you now
Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Yup exactly it would have to surpasses fuel tank for a proper seal...thanks man pm you now
i know your frustration, we have all been there at one point! just give me your mailing info and will be sent tomorrow for you! ill include a new gasket for you just incase!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Sent you a pm. Forgot to add my name..Haha ...josh mcdougal ...thanks a million dude !
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Sent you a pm. Forgot to add my name..Haha ...josh mcdougal ...thanks a million dude !
dint get a PM. make sure you click on send PM to D8TRACER., just click on my user name and then click on send private message to..bla..bla.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

So does this mean jetting is going to be necessary again? Guessing so...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.