Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 810 Vs Hyper 7 tq sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi 810 Vs Hyper 7 tq sport

Looking into buying one or the other as my 2nd nitro rc. Here is the dilema I can not chose between the two, both seem to be in or around the price range that I am trying to stick around at the moment. So here we go throw me some advice on which is better or other options I might have!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Ive had the Hyper 7 Tq, and i must say its an excellent car. It will make a great basher, and An alright car to see if you want to get started in racing, just to make sure you would like racing. The Losi 810 is more racing oriented and will be a competitive car to start racing with.

What it comes down to is race? Or bash? I hope this helps out, both cars would be an excellent choice. You cant really go wrong with either one.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

I really am wanting something that can be a good basher but have the capability to go and compete had I get bitten by the racing bug, sad thing is there isn't many tracks around where I am so I will be building my own track very soon! Another thing is out of the two the 810 or the 7 which one is gonna be the one that needs the most mods out the box?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wallee
I really am wanting something that can be a good basher but have the capability to go and compete had I get bitten by the racing bug, sad thing is there isn't many tracks around where I am so I will be building my own track very soon! Another thing is out of the two the 810 or the 7 which one is gonna be the one that needs the most mods out the box?
The 810 is not a true 1/8, so I doubt that you'll be able to compete with it.

If you decide to race a Hyper TQ, you'll probably want to lose the pull start. BTW, the .28 engine is technically illegal for racing (need a .21).
Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Rookie

When i had my Hyper 7 a new steering servo was a must. I put the original steering servo as the throttle servo, and picked me up a new steering servo. Other then that its a pretty stout car. I am not posotive but from what ive heard and read about the Losi 810 It is also pretty tough out of the box. You might want to wait before someone with a Losi 810 chimes in though.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Well is there a good .21 engine for the 7 that would mount in pretty easy? I love the idea of gettin the 7 and then upgrade to better engine and stuff! Another thing is do you think the Ofna Jammin X1x is better then the hyper 7??

Last edited by Wallee; 12-20-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Well is there a good .21 engine for the 7 that would mount in pretty easy? I love the idea of gettin the 7 and then upgrade to better engine and stuff! Another thing is do you think the Ofna Jammin X1x is better then the hyper 7??
Another thing to keep in mind if it ever comes to racing, fuel tank size. Many RTR's have larger than legal fuel tanks (125cc max). This is probably because of the larger than legal engines.

Jammin is probably better. At least the tank is legal.

Most tracks that hold club level races will (check first) overlook engine size, tank size and etc. for beginners.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy
Old 12-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=nitroexpress;10062954]Another thing to keep in mind if it ever comes to racing, fuel tank size. Many RTR's have larger than legal fuel tanks (125cc max). This is probably because of the larger than legal engines.

Jammin is probably better. At least the tank is legal.

Most tracks that hold club level races will (check first) overlook engine size, tank size and etc. for beginners.

Say I get this one from the link, Which is definately one I am thinking strongly on getting. What engine would you suggest as a replacement from the stock? Also any other upgrades you think this buggy here will need?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

I'm assuming you are trying to stay around $300.00 but if you could stretch it another $150.00 This would be a much better choice IMO. Not trying to blow your mind with another choice but it has the dsm radio and i'm pretty sure the engine is legal plus it is a more modern platform. I do agree the jammin is better than the hyper 7 though.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...GHz-F35-Engine
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by romax
I'm assuming you are trying to stay around $300.00 but if you could stretch it another $150.00 This would be a much better choice IMO. Not trying to blow your mind with another choice but it has the dsm radio and i'm pretty sure the engine is legal plus it is a more modern platform. I do agree the jammin is better than the hyper 7 though.
Agree.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Here is some other options I might have, I cant link yet but they are all on a main check these out, the OFNA 1/8 Ultra LX2 RTR, and the Kyosho Inferno NEO Type-1 RTR what do you guys think of these?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I had a Hyper 7 TQ Sport and it was tough as nails. At the price point its a sweet kit and that .28 rips! The servo's and radio gear arent the best but a new steering servo and you should be good to go. For bashing its great, can take a beating, plenty of power, but for racing I think it would be a tad heavy. I looked into the 810 before picking up the H7 and decided to pass on the 810 as the size is a bit smaller than my Losi 8's. Its a weird in between size
Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

I am looking at the H7, It looks to be well made and from what all I hear it isnt hard to get parts for. If I do get the H7 I would like to run the stock engine for a bit of bashing but I would really want to replace it with a good .21, Anyone know a good engine replacement for the stock one?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

get the losi 810!!! i have this buggy and its great. Extremely durable and fast.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by romax
Fully agree here. It's based off the Hotbodies D8 buggy race kit, plus it has a race-legal 125cc tank and 0.21 engine

Here is some other options I might have, I cant link yet but they are all on a main check these out, the OFNA 1/8 Ultra LX2 RTR, and the Kyosho Inferno NEO Type-1 RTR what do you guys think of these?
If you want to easily transition into racing, then stay away from the OFNA. It has a 0.28 engine which isn't legal for buggy racing. As for the Kyosho, IIRC, the NEO RTR line (buggy and truggy) are based off outdated prev-generation race kits. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just something to be aware of.

As for the 810, I have one (converted from a Losi Ten-T) and it's a lot of fun as well as decently durable, but it will likely get outclassed by the "full-sized" buggies. It's larger than a 1/10 buggy but a little smaller than a 1/8 buggy. It's biggest drawback it its mediocre 82cc gas tank.

Both the Kyosho and HPI buggies seem to be the best options IMO. They both have 125cc fuel tanks and 0.21-size engines, and they both come with 2.4 GHz radio systems. The only thing is, I don't know how durable the Kyosho is. As for HPI, they have a long-standing track record for building highly durable RC vehicles. Either way you go, make sure you ditch the AA-battery setup for the receiver, and go with a NiMH hump pack, LiFe battery, or LiPo with regulator. AA's have no place on an RC vehicle as receiver batteries these days.

Edit: Oops, be careful which Kyosho RTR buggy you buy. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cro-24GHz-Blue has a 0.21 engine, while http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System has a 0.25 engine. Keep in mind that a 0.21 is the biggest you can use in a regulated race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.