Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th? >

Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?

Hey folks,

Hope everyone is well!
I'm posting to ask for some assistance - I've recently aquired a rather large stack of probably old RC cars, and I cannot identify them all, so have no idea on what parts are missing and what I need to do to get them back to their former glory.

A photo should be attached.

This is a large car (the biggest I own) and I believe it is 1/8th scale and off-road, possibly a monster truck. I have boxes of bits, but currently unable to work out which parts are for which models.
Attached Thumbnails Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?-img_0360.jpg  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Tech Rookie

And one more.

Thanks in advance folks! Any help is greatly appreciated :-)
Attached Thumbnails Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?-img_0362.jpg  
Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Ah ha! Quizz!

This is a 1/8th buggy from a Taiwanese company called Flying Point.

I believe it's called "Probe". There was a pro version with a dynamically adjustable rear wing angle; the more the rear suspension was compressed, the less the wing angle, when the rear suspension drooped, the wing angle increased, supposedly to force the buggy rear end into the ground...

Never did work very well and was very fragile. They eventually made it a fixed wing mount like all the other buggy makers.

-Alexander
Old 12-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi!

Thanks for the reply
How confident are you that you're right? From my research the probe was 2wd and this is definitely 4wd, central drive shafts linking it all together.

The zircon I found a bit of info on but not much and all I really want is a manual or exploded diagram to see if I can match up which parts belong to this model.

I will probably end up selling it on to see if any collectors want it as a "shelf queen" or something, but would like to sort out all related parts first if possible!

Thanks again for the reply :-)
Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looks to be a home made chassis and braces with maybe ofna a gear boxes.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foampervert
This is a 1/8th buggy from a Taiwanese company called Flying Point.

I believe it's called "Probe". There was a pro version with a dynamically adjustable rear wing angle; the more the rear suspension was compressed, the less the wing angle, when the rear suspension drooped, the wing angle increased, supposedly to force the buggy rear end into the ground...

Never did work very well and was very fragile. They eventually made it a fixed wing mount like all the other buggy makers.

-Alexander
looks like he is right

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/5267082274/

you can tell 4wd, same wing/ shock setup, and right side engine mount.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks.

Does anyone have ANY info on Flying Point / FP at all?
I cannot even find any photos of the chassis to go by - would be good just to see where and how things are mounted and what I could be missing.

Or failing that I just sell on as-is, but would really like to get something assembled and sorted for it.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Rookie

hi everyone sorry to post something new on someone thread but it wont let me make my own thread but can anyone please tell me who makes this 1/8 buggy
its on ebay here is the item number 390026363842
Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey folks,

Has anyone got ANY other info on flying point probe or similar chassis, engine sizes etc?

I've got my chassis together now, steering set up correctly, steering servo mount and fuel tank in right place, and a set of wheels installed.

I've got an OS 18 CV-R that we were attempting to install, but cannot see how it all works, and what the spring-pivot at the front of the car is used for...?

If anyone has links or photos of a FP chassis layout, diagrams or anything at all it'd be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Paul
Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pabs
Hey folks,

Has anyone got ANY other info on flying point probe or similar chassis, engine sizes etc?

I've got my chassis together now, steering set up correctly, steering servo mount and fuel tank in right place, and a set of wheels installed.

I've got an OS 18 CV-R that we were attempting to install, but cannot see how it all works, and what the spring-pivot at the front of the car is used for...?

If anyone has links or photos of a FP chassis layout, diagrams or anything at all it'd be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Paul
The car was made in Taiwan back in the early to late 90s. Company folded when the boss of the company passed away. Your best bet in getting parts will be on EBAY. I've seen some parts on EBAY before.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes as per the other posts in this thread that info has already come to light.
I also found the other thread on here with exactly the same info, but thanks.
Have already tried eBay, and I don't need parts, I need diagram or picture.
We can make the parts ourselves.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

hi i was wondering also what brand mine was because i have this one

but now i know what brand it is and i can get spare parts because i am thinking of making it electric after my engine blew up
Attached Thumbnails Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?-chassis.jpg   Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?-car-length.jpg   Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?-rear.jpg   Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?-side.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Rikar-7,

That car is the same as mine - it's a Flying Point Probe.

Any chance you can take some more photos of it for me? I am actually building mine myself, custom, as have no design drawings or otherwise.

Ideally a top photo would be good, showing the layout. Of course, if you want to sell it I might be interested.

Also, would be good to know the length of your shocks on the front and rear, and the spring lengths.

I will add a photo of my work so far in a minute
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Here is what I have done so far

Please ignore the tiny exhaust on the engine - it was just to get idea of screw pitch-and size. Engine is an OS 18-CVR, but might need a bigger engine. Also only utilising the middle brake, appears to be a brake at the front as well but don't know what size engine was usually fitted.

Currently the shocks on the rear are too short (poss front ones as well) so I'm looking for some springs for another set of shocks I have - I need 80mm long springs but haven't found any yet.
Attached Thumbnails Hi - Can you help identify this nitro chasiss? 1/8th?-img_0523.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi All,
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I'm making progress day-by-day... and just have another question:

What engine did the Flying Point buggies come with? I have actually aquired another Flying Point buggy (with anodised-blue metal parts, but engine still on right hand side) - and the engine has no label, but has a green cooling head.

I was led to believe it may be an irvine .21, or possibly a leo .21? Does this sound right? I want to mount a roto-start instead of pull-start because it is worn and I already have all of the starting equipment. However, it looks like distance between centres of screws is 28mm, and most roto-starts are 27mm. I'm thinking i can bore out the holes in the rotostart a little, as only 1/2mm needed on each one...?

I'll have a fully restored flying-point buggy soon - it's so near completion now, and I'm hoping I can make a mould from the bodyshell and make some more (I have access to a vac-forming machine!)

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.