Mugen MBX6R or Associated RC8.2?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX6R or Associated RC8.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Tech Champion

Default Mugen MBX6R or Associated RC8.2?

OK, I'm definitely narrowed down to these two. My gut was to go with the RC8.2 because I also have an SC8 and still have a bunch of parts left over from my RC8T, RC8, and RC8B(all sold..) I actually have ordered the RC8.2 already, but apparently it's not in stock. This one particular shop is offering both cars with the RB Fire 11 combo. This engine might be overpowered for buggy, but that's what I want. So no need to discuss engines.

I only race occasionally and don't take it over seriously, and want something reliable, tough, easy to get parts for, and especially something that I can put a more-or-less general setup on and not have to change all the time.. Again, I don't race for points or anything, and only race in organized races when I get a chance, depending on lots of factors(work, weather, location, other commitments, etc..) The rest I just run at the track for fun when I can.. I also just like messing around with and testing new engines..

I notice that Mugens seem to have the best resale value.., which is not irrelevant..

Associated though has much broader part-support.., and the RC8.2 is €90 cheaper. I've been reading though about issues with the RC8.2 upper arms. This is somewhat offputting. I don't want issues from either of these two kits.

I assume a lot of parts from the older MBX6 cross over and work on the MBXR??..

Anyway, just got a mail from the shop telling me both are currently not in stock, so I guess have a couple days instead of a couple hours like I thought to decide if I want to switch to the Mugen.. Kind of feel like my comfort zone is Associated though. The Mugen would be something totally new..(just read the Mugen takes a 13T CB.. So there goes all the 16T and 17T CB's I already have for the Asso out the window if I get the Mugen..)

So thanks for any input.

ps How do the buggies compare for driving style? I seem to read about a nervous rear end with the Asso.. I noticed this with both by previous Associated buggies. I liked them both, but they did seem kind of twitchy in the rear. I also like the comments I see here and there about Mugens liking to be driven hard.., being forgiving, etc..
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Stay away from the associated car they are garbage
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aptyk88
LOL, thats frank....but unfortunately there is some truth to it i'll be biased and say MBX6R just because im getting one too
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Champion

Loved all my Associateds so far. So I don't buy that "they're garbage" for a minute. Especially when no reasons are given.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Typical internet comment.
Qualify your remarks with some facts perhaps? Have you owned one? How much extra parts did you go through compared to some other brand you used for a similar time?
Cite valid coments from other users regarding problems with them?
Maybe you have a few friends (not just one) who had problems with them and can tell us what?

Personally I have had an RC8 and RC8B and I can't drive for sh!t so I crash heaps ....but have never had a breakage.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark _australia
Typical internet comment.
Qualify your remarks with some facts perhaps? Have you owned one? How much extra parts did you go through compared to some other brand you used for a similar time?
Cite valid coments from other users regarding problems with them?
Maybe you have a few friends (not just one) who had problems with them and can tell us what?

Personally I have had an RC8 and RC8B and I can't drive for sh!t so I crash heaps ....but have never had a breakage.
personally i like the mugen, awesome drivetrain and suspension. and what i mean by that is it is a breeze to work on, extremly minimal wear on driveline components. suspension wears like iron. i bought extra arms when i bought my mugen and they are still in the packages.
i have seen that peoples driving habits dictate what cars work for them. mugen , associated, losi all make excellent kits. drive a few at your local track. many people will work with you as long as you don't ask 10 minutes before a race. and ask lots of questions...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Boy if that couldnt be more wrong .

I knew that answer whould come from a losi driver
Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Herr: Yea i whould get the RC8.2 so far from what ive heard from guys i race with its pretty good . But if you want to be diffrent than get the new mugen buggy thats coming out.

I havnt heard anything about the RC8.2 being twichy if anything i was watching a guy drive his at my outdoor track and it looked pretty smooth he dint change anything on the setup as i know of . But the RC8be i knew that was a twichy buggy.

Im guessing you can drive the RC8.2 harder now especially since it has a longer rear end on the chassis.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

The list of reasons to stick with the Associated is getting a bit longer..

Not only is it cheaper outright, but I already have a bunch of new 16T and 17T clutch bells, and mostly hump-packs instead of straight.. Looks like the Mugen needs 13T and 14T CB's, and straight-packs.. And again, I also have an SC8, which uses the exact same engine mount and gearing. So it's nice to be able to switch engines back and forth with ZERO to change.. I also have spare tanks, diffs and diff gears, and a whole bunch of other stuff that would work as spare parts on the RC8.2 Selling off the Associated stuff would entail basically giving it away..

And yeah, ultimately I've just been very happy with the Associated stuff I've had so far..

I think I just like the body on the Mugen ha ha.. AND OK their reputation for quality and long-term durability, aggressive-driving-friendliness, etc..

We'll see.. Might be whichever this shop gets in stock first..
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have had both and can compare them for ya.

The Mugen is more consistent and forgiving/safer over the jumps and landings than an AE. The AE has much better corner speed over the Mugen though. The AE is just a little easier to work on, only because they don't use "screw & nut" type hinge pins. The Mugen quality and parts wear is a few steps better than the AE. But AE has improved on quality and wear a lot since there first kit. The Mugen can be driven soft or aggressive and the AE is more of an aggressive only style.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Excellent input! Thanks a lot..

Which are you faster with? Just curious.. I.e. if you had a race this weekend, which would you prefer to race and why? Thanks..
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

get a sworkz. has stronger parts than a mugen and handles awesome
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage

Which are you faster with? Just curious.. I.e. if you had a race this weekend, which would you prefer to race and why? Thanks..
Depends on the track. If its a fast layout then the AE by far. If its technical then the Mugen by far.

I like the Mugen over the AE. I can deal with the slower corner speeds from the Mugen. I would rather have a car I can predict how its going to land on the same jump lap after lap.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage

BTW, my lap times are faster with an AE. But I have more consistent laps with the Mugen.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket
I have had both and can compare them for ya.

The Mugen is more consistent and forgiving/safer over the jumps and landings than an AE. The AE has much better corner speed over the Mugen though. The AE is just a little easier to work on, only because they don't use "screw & nut" type hinge pins. The Mugen quality and parts wear is a few steps better than the AE. But AE has improved on quality and wear a lot since there first kit. The Mugen can be driven soft or aggressive and the AE is more of an aggressive only style.

Your right on about the RC8s ive noticed that even my RC8T doesnt like to be driven smooth really it likes to be driven hard and driving hard into corners not to hard though but smooth at the same time it drives better and faster that way to me it seems. Even though i converted my to electric.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.