Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy OR Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Default Buggy OR Truggy

This is not one of those threads of which one to start with, not which brand etc etc

If you could chose to only run one class(regardless of numbers of racers and location) which would it be?

Buggy or Truggy and why

Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I would pick truggy. I like the size and stability of it. Also is a challenge for me to get into the corners as tight as possible with one. I like buggy also but truggy for me seems to fit me better.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Champion

IMO - truggies look cooler, but buggies are faster and more challenging to drive. I went with buggy. But damn..., there are some awfully cool looking truggies around...

Tire prices are a factor for me too. €60 for a set of truggy tires/wheels is just too much.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
IMO - truggies look cooler, but buggies are faster and more challenging to drive. I went with buggy. But damn..., there are some awfully cool looking truggies around...

Tire prices are a factor for me too. €60 for a set of truggy tires/wheels is just too much.
but they are ment to last longer?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Tech Champion

I didn't race truggy that long, and haven't raced buggy that long, but from what I have seen, it seems to be the opposite - truggy tires wear out faster than buggy tires.. Truggies are heavier, the tires are wider, etc.. - more wear... Haven't raced buggies yet enough though to say for sure..
Old 08-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Both have their place. Personally I prefer the RC F1 of offroad racing which is buggy IMO. Although I see lap times sometimes and they are so close between both classes.

Looks wise I prefer a buggy over a truggy. I would also take into consideration what is most popular at your track. The more you compete against the better. It just makes good results more satisfying.

As a privateer I race one class. Not sure how people find the time or want to spend that much money to race in two classes. Each to their own I guess.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The crowd pleazer is truggy .
Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Tech Regular

Buggy, because the buggy, just because. I have never raced a truggy.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Tech Champion

I raced both classes once, and going from a 30-minute buggy final to a 20-minute truggy final, it was like stepping into a Cadillac SUV from a Lotus Elise or something. The buggy was so agile and responsive, then stepping into trugy was like driving on pillows... Buggy-driving I would think makes you a better a driver. My old arrangement, a truggy to race and a buggy to practice, is probably a good one....

Buggies just aren't cool looking like truggies are though.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Buggy!!

Reason being, less wear and tear EVERYWHERE, you can adjust your suspension without taking off the shell, and perhaps this is just personal, buggy shells seem to prevent dirt from entering the car much much better.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I currently race both.

In the past I have had 1 season with a Truggy and the following year buggy only.

I run both now to get more track time at larger races. It helps to decide what might need changed on both vehicles as the track changes through out the day..

Back to topic: If I raced one only I'd choose Truggy. Parts aren't any more expensive, except tires and wheels.. When you choose the right tires and wheels for respective tracks the tire wear is actually less on truggy then with a buggy.. Also, a Truggy handles much better is able to be pushed very hard in comparison to a buggy. They seem to need less tweaks to keep them in the fastlane, which allows for more time to have fun when at the track..
Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ScottyM
I currently race both.

In the past I have had 1 season with a Truggy and the following year buggy only.

I run both now to get more track time at larger races. It helps to decide what might need changed on both vehicles as the track changes through out the day..

Back to topic: If I raced one only I'd choose Truggy. Parts aren't any more expensive, except tires and wheels.. When you choose the right tires and wheels for respective tracks the tire wear is actually less on truggy then with a buggy.. Also, a Truggy handles much better is able to be pushed very hard in comparison to a buggy. They seem to need less tweaks to keep them in the fastlane, which allows for more time to have fun when at the track..
i like this guy
Old 08-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, but keep in mind, he's saying you need several sets of tires for different tracks and conditions. So, say three sets for starters - you could buy an engine for that...

And as for being able to "push" one or the other harder. I think with a buggy you're pushing more your own ability, because, since the buggy is more agile and quick, you'll find YOUR limits by pushing before you find the limits of the car. With a truggy, it's easier to drive, so eventually your limits and those of the car are more closely aligned, so then you're just pushing the car. Both are fun, but a buggy is more challenging to drive. Which for me anyway means more fun...

I also think truggy requires more set-up. A good all-round setup for buggy seemed to work great for me on different tracks.. Whereas with truggy different tracks require changes moreso than with a buggy... I know others have said the opposite, but I found it to be that way.. Truggies - though cooler looking - are just oafier to drive, so you have to maximize the setup to get the most out of them on a given track.. My theory anyway...

Also, don't forget, as mentioned before, if your local track has only a handful of truggy drivers and more buggies(as most do..), then I'd go with buggy. No point in investing in a race truggy if you end up only racing against 2-3 other guys.. Or none..
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Tech Addict

yes, tyres are FAR overpriced for the amount we use.

i have always been told that truggys are more overal track friendly.
but as for racing truggys... its like watching the demolition derby but on a race track
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Truggy, but yet I'm just a back yard basher. I would go buggy but what I hear from people, they are more for racing not for bashing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.