Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So who "isn't" sponsored?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We sponsor several Mugen racers, but I myself am not sponsored, I just cannot find the time necessary running 2 businesses to devote to being competitive.
I race for fun and let our Team Drivers show what Mugens do
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

I have to play Devil's advocate and disagree partially.

2 things.

1.) If you are racing in a state that does not begin with California, there is no way a company like Caster, Sworkz, Mugen, etc... will ever know that you exist unless there is someone in that area who can vouch for you. The United States are way too big. If you are winning JConcept races or RC Pro races that are reasonably local, you are probably already sponsored and there might be a chance you are a top rate driver sent there to win.

2.) If you are a sponsored driver, sometimes that can give a manufacturer an in into the hobby store in the area that would have never happened.

Imaginary scenario.....

Ring ring, BOB "Its a great day at Bob's hobby what can I help you with?

JASON "Hey, it is Jason from Sworkz. Who is responsible for buying products there at your location?"

BOB "Why it is me, Bob."

JASON "Great, have you heard of Sworkz before?"

BOB "Well, to be honest, no I haven't and I really am not interested because we buy from HRP and Traxxas. Occasionally we order some stuff in on our account from Tower."

JASON "Well, we have a great program for new dealers, etc....."

BOB "I hate to interupt you Jeremy, but I realized that I was supposed to pick up my daughter from the clinic. They think she has leprosy or rabies. I will talk to you later."

OR

Ring ring, BOB "Its a great day at Bob's hobby what can I help you with?

JASON "Hey Bob, I was wondering, did you get a chance to see Damon's Sworkz running at your track? He has been on the podium the last couple of weekends. It might be something for you to consider, especially since you can see the overall quality and obvious performance it can provide Damon. He seems to love it."

BOB "Actually, I did get to look at it. He doesn't seem to have many issues with it and it looks better than the pictures. I was surprised."

JASON "Well Bob, we were hoping that you would say that. Since we don't have the time or money to travel to each hobby store across the country, and we know that dealers are skeptical dealing with a small company, we were hoping that Damon would be a great asset for us to prove to you what we offer without you having to just trust our word or our advertising."

BOB "Well Jason, I have had a few people ask about his car. What does it take to be a dealer and what are your ............."
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Technically and legally speaking, I am sponsored by credit card companies until I pay all my bills in full.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess I'll take one for the team and accept anyone who wishes to sponsor me...
Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
Technically and legally speaking, I am sponsored by credit card companies until I pay all my bills in full.
And alot of other Americans are as well.. In all genres.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ScottyM
And alot of other Americans are as well.. In all genres.

I was always taught that credit cards are for real life emergencies. A hobby is something you pay cash for, or live without until you can pay cash for it.......
Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta
I was always taught that credit cards are for real life emergencies. A hobby is something you pay cash for, or live without until you can pay cash for it.......
true dat +1
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Many people have the misconception that being sponsored saves you a bunch of money and that you get everything free or for next to nothing. IMO, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Obtaining sponsorship comes with repsonsibilities such as attending more races which means more traveling, having your vehicles in top form at all times which means having a large parts suppply, etc. That all costs $$$! I spent alot more when I went from a club racer to a sponsored driver.

Granted, there are some guys that have a full ride and dont pay for their parts etc. but by no means does that mean they get everything for free! The amount of time and work that goes into a factory drivers program is why the manufacturers provide the parts at no cost to the driver. Last time I checked, my employer does not give me a check every week for the hell of it, I have to earn my money just as a factory RC driver earns their parts or engines, etc. by putting in the countless hours of work into their race program.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

I'm pretty much completely unsponsored
Old 12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Well i know many sponsored drivers or partially sponsored drivers and i can say some sponsors r money savers like motor and tire sponsors but chassis spo sors have down falls discount is of retail suggest price so kits are not that cheap and also in socal mmost the races u run if u have chassis sponsor of 1% or more u must run the pro class which alot of the 50% guys r not fast enough for specially in socal where alot of big names r at any every big race
All the same if i had the time to run 2-3 times a week practice and race igleast twice a month i would seek sponsorship but just having fun these days
Till my son gets fasy enough to get sponsored then i run his tires and such
Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It does seem like RC has way too many "sponsored drivers." I get the A team and B team concept and grassroots brand promotion, but it does seem like everyone and their grandma claims some sponsorship of some kind.

When I raced BMX, sponsorships really meant something and they weren't handed out like candy.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am horribly biased but sponsoring drivers is a small hobby stores best method of low-cost advertising.

Later,
Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

50 % deal would be nice but I would rather be able to run what I want to run and race when I want to race. Alot of the 50% drivers don't get the newest released parts until they are available to the public anyway this is something I have fun with a great stress reliever from my regular job. For the guys who have earned a sponsorship kudos to them as their dedication to the hobby has paid off for them.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I tend to give my loyal repeat customers better deals on their products, instead of giving out good deals to guys just because they are fast drivers.... If anyone is going to be taking bread off my table I would much rather it be by a loyal customer who has supported me along the way..... reward those who deserve to be rewarded....... Not saying having a fast driver under my banner is a bad thing, but truth be told my most successful sponsored drivers all started off as retail customers !
Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

some of your sponsored drivers are fat and slow but I do appreciate your loyalty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.