R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Installing CV boots (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/571416-installing-cv-boots.html)

Zao18 11-24-2011 06:44 AM

Installing CV boots

I recently bought a few packs of Dynamite cv boots http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN7687. It's easy to tell how they fit on the center driveshaft cv joints (the wide part pulls over the collar), but I am not quite sure how I should put them on the side driveshafts over the cv joints that sit in the wheel hubs. Suggestions?

awdcameolsx 11-24-2011 07:42 AM

What car is it on? Kind of a tuff question without that because some cars its good to have others its not.

Zao18 11-24-2011 12:59 PM

Right now, it's for a Losi 810 buggy, though I also plan to do it on my HB D8T kit when it arrives. Right now, I am assuming that the narrow part of the boot goes over the driveshaft, with the wide part over the axle and then I need to fit it through the wheel hub bearings (I am expecting that I likely need to do some trimming).

tc5 man 11-24-2011 01:12 PM

slide the narrow side with the axles bones through it you have to lube it inside of the booth with shock oil so it doesnt tear through it.

But slide one of the axle pin though one side and than the other not both at the same time if that makes sense.

Zao18 11-25-2011 01:37 PM

Got my center joints done last night, and maybe attempt the axle joints tonight or tomorrow. FYI, I did not have to lube the driveshafts with shock oil. The Dynamite boots are slick enough on their own. Not sure if it's because there's a thin film of lubricant on them, or the rubber used is slippery. Either way, they're quite nice. I like the idea of being able to protect my cv joints from rust, especially since I have already had a front left driveshaft snap on me in the middle of a race.

I still have suspicions that for the axle joints, some trimming of the boots will be in order. Gonna be a snug fit between the axle and hub bearing :p.

tc5 man 11-25-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zao18 (Post 9957458)
Got my center joints done last night, and maybe attempt the axle joints tonight or tomorrow. FYI, I did not have to lube the driveshafts with shock oil. The Dynamite boots are slick enough on their own. Not sure if it's because there's a thin film of lubricant on them, or the rubber used is slippery. Either way, they're quite nice. I like the idea of being able to protect my cv joints from rust, especially since I have already had a front left driveshaft snap on me in the middle of a race.

I still have suspicions that for the axle joints, some trimming of the boots will be in order. Gonna be a snug fit between the axle and hub bearing :p.

good ! Yea trust me with the boots on the axle it will keep it much more cleaner espially if you run on dry/dusty dirt.

If your running cvds or something simlar you can use a good amount of grease on the cvd parts and they will last . Do you know if they make bearing shields for you truck it will fit better with the boot if so ?

tony montana 11-25-2011 02:38 PM

I never liked running the boots. They never seem to stay in place no matter how much grease I put on them. i use heat shrink instead

tc5 man 11-25-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by tony montana (Post 9957602)
I never liked running the boots. They never seem to stay in place no matter how much grease I put on them. i use heat shrink instead

Well i know my do on my RC8T i do have a small tear in them though.

But yea some are made diffrent though.

shanef 11-25-2011 03:44 PM

I run the mugen boot's everywhere except for the front as they slightly bind the steering. I also put a bit of fuel tubing behind the boot so they don't move ;)

Zao18 11-25-2011 09:22 PM

Update: All cv boots installed now. For the axles, the boots definitely required trimming. They're just too thick and soft to tuck between the axle and inner hub bearing. They appear to push up pretty tight against the bearing though, so at least it will still keep grease in and dirt out. Also, no problems with causing any binding in the steering. Shanef, thanks for the tip though about using fuel tubing to keep the boots from sliding out. I'll keep that in mind if I find the boots aren't staying where they should.