Wiki Posts
Search

mbx6r vs. 808 11

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)
Default mbx6r vs. 808 11

I have never raced buggy or even driven a buggy. I am thinking about picking up a buggy to race next yr. I am looking for comparisons on these two buggies only. Iknow how these threads usuall turn out on here. I am hopin to here from people who have had experience with these tow buggies and these two only. Kinda hard to hear anything about the mugen though as I dont think it has been released yet. Thnaks in advance for all ur help.

Last edited by rceefreak; 10-29-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The mugen eco is electric did you mean the mbx6r?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry yes I did
Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

My choice is obviously the Xray. I have the 2011 and love the car. It's very easy to drive and super stable on the track, hands down the best buggy I've ever driven.
The Mugen is also a great car, however it is a bit weaker than the Xray. Mugen has a strong tendency to break arms fairly easily and I see it happen all the time. I can't say first hand, but I'm hearing from others that the Mugen lacks a little bit on steering when compared to some of the other cars out there. I was told this by a pro driver who runs Mugen.
Try to drive both and see what feels more natural to you. You honestly can't go wrong with either car.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

First and foremost all cars are about driving style. You have to pick the car that fits your driving style. Secondly a good driver can drive and win with any car period. Thirdly every car has a weak point. There is not a perfect car out if there was we would not be having this conversation. With all that said in my book you have chosen 2 excellent cars to choose from. You can not make a bad choice going either way. The previous poster could not be more wrong about the steering on a MBX6. Of all cars it has the most steering. If you go to the MBX6 thread you will see we often talk about dialing steering out. With the new battery forward tray the car has steering for days which it had before the tray change. If we were speaking about the Truggy yes weak front arms would be a conversation to have. Not so much that the arms on the Truggy are weak however bad spills end up with broken arms that may not happen in other truggies. Better drivers don't break arms on any cars as they don't have bad spills. As far as the buggy I've broken front arms on it in previous seasons none this year as my driving skills have improved so I make less bad mistakes. Back to driving styles the MBX6 of all cars is probally the most stable and loves to be pushed. The 808 an oustanding car in its own right is stable however likes to be driven a certain way. Kinda like a losi does but not nearly as twitchy. I drive a Mugen and have driven them all. You can't make a bad choice either way.

Last edited by vladconnery; 10-30-2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: ,
Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

I chose these two because I have both xray and mugen truggies and would like to stick with the same brand. I drive both truggies and like both of them. I do know that both have weak points, what r/c doesnt. I have read some of both buggy threads and see that alot of people are talking about the shocks/ rear droop on the xray buggy. I have experienced the front arm breakage on the mugen truggy, but nothing broke that wasnt my fault. Although I can say that the xray truggy kept on goin after the same hard crashes. I havent read enough of the mugen thread to see what its weak points are.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
First and foremost all cars are about driving style. You have to pick the car that fits your driving style. Secondly a good driver can drive and win with any car period. Thirdly every car has a weak point. There is not a perfect car out if there was we would not be having this conversation. With all that said in my book you have chosen 2 excellent cars to choose from. You can not make a bad choice going either way. The previous poster could not be more wrong about the steering on a MBX6. Of all cars it has the most steering. If you go to the MBX6 thread you will see we often talk about dialing steering out. With the new battery forward tray the car has steering for days which it had before the tray change. If we were speaking about the Truggy yes weak front arms would be a conversation to have. Not so much that the arms on the Truggy are weak however bad spills end up with broken arms that may not happen in other truggies. Better drivers don't break arms on any cars as they don't have bad spills. As far as the buggy I've broken front arms on it in previous seasons none this year as my driving skills have improved so I make less bad mistakes. Back to driving styles the MBX6 of all cars is probally the most stable and loves to be pushed. The 808 an oustanding car in its own right is stable however likes to be driven a certain way. Kinda like a losi does but not nearly as twitchy. I drive a Mugen and have driven them all. You can't make a bad choice either way.
I just changed from 808 2011 spec over to the mugen mbx6 after a 4 year stint only because I wanted to try another brand and it would suit me in the parts department as I also race a mbx6t. there is no bad decision here xray or mugen
Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aussies1129
I just changed from 808 2011 spec over to the mugen mbx6 after a 4 year stint only because I wanted to try another brand and it would suit me in the parts department as I also race a mbx6t. there is no bad decision here xray or mugen
+1 both cars are awesome. And both in the parts department are expensive. I would give a little edge to mugen just because there are more mugen cars at the track than xray so that mean if you break than you will possibly find a part
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

I am really up in the air on this one. Are the shocks on the xray really that bad that kyosho or associated shocks are needed? This decision will probably end up being a spur of the moment choice
Old 10-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rceefreak
I am really up in the air on this one. Are the shocks on the xray really that bad that kyosho or associated shocks are needed? This decision will probably end up being a spur of the moment choice

No, they aren't. People like to try things and jump on bandwagons. People are trying other shocks just to get a couple of mm more droop. A lot of those same people are finding themselves going back to the Xray shocks. I see people win with the stock shocks all the time and I've never felt that I needed to change them to something else.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

pickle are u using the springs that come with the kit or some of the option springs?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

both are great buggies. IMO i'd go with mugen because parts are easier to get. i know a few people that had to buy other buggies after their xray part was on back order for 3 month. but also xray doesnt break much, but they still break. ive been running for a good while now, only broken 2 front arms and one rear arm and haven't broken anything else... only thing i would get for mugen is a 1 piece engine mount IMHO its a must, if not you run a chance of the chassis cracking. i tried xray a while back, its nice but feels unstable and doesnt ever feel like the wheels are on the ground. the mugen has been great, very easy to drive, turns on a dime (nothing out that will out turn it, if set up properly) and the harder you drive it the better it drives.

just my opinion though.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks. Opinions are what I am looking for.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

The 6r should be a great car. I had the 6 and have the 2011 808 currently. In terms of quality, these two cars are at the top of the heap.

The 808 shocks require a little work to get right. The first mugen chassis would crack around the motor hole, but I am pretty sure this has been resolved.

If you are a smooth driver the 808 will benefit you. If you drive really aggressively the mugen is probably a better fit.

As far as impact to the wallet, the 808 will cost you more.

Durability goes to the xray, it is nearly indestructable.

Most people seem to think the 6 is a little more setup friendly.

I love my 808, but may try the 6r next year, just because I am curious how it handles a rough track.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Mugens rule a rough track so you will like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.