R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Diff oils what to use? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/566553-diff-oils-what-use.html)

Kzlucas 11-08-2011 01:18 AM

Diff oils what to use?

Hey all I have the nitro gv cage and have ran it in burnt a few bottles of fuel am loving it but have noticed that more power is going to the front wheels instead of the back and am just wondering how I can change that any help would be great
Thanks Lucas

xray808-11 11-08-2011 02:23 AM

try thicker in the senter first.
What do you use now?

Spads11 11-08-2011 06:54 AM

It's helpful to know what you are starting with to get more educated guesses, but generally you would go down a bit in the front and up a bit in the center, but that could make your steering more aggressive, which you may not want and going up in the center can make your punch aggressive. The best thing to do is experiment from some sort of baseline. You can usually find good baseline diff setups in the manual or on here.

stallen50 11-08-2011 07:46 AM

its heavier up front and center to get the power back to the rear. i would try to go up a couple of thousand wt oil in the center and see if that helps. if it dont then up the front until you get to where you like it. heavier in the center gives you the 4wheel drive feel. but sometimes thats not enough as the rear tires grip more, then spools the power to the front. so you may have to go up in weight in front to equal it out

rfleck 11-08-2011 09:19 AM

Not real familiar wiht the Nitro GV Cage, but from what google tells me it has a .32 engine. If it were me I woudl start by refilling the diffs all the way around if it came RTR. I would start with 20k front 20k center and 10k rear. Ask others in the forum as I may be a bit off.

Slider30250 11-08-2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kzlucas (Post 9883361)
Hey all I have the nitro gv cage and have ran it in burnt a few bottles of fuel am loving it but have noticed that more power is going to the front wheels instead of the back and am just wondering how I can change that any help would be great
Thanks Lucas

You probably just have worn out your diff oils, they do need to be changed from time to time. About every gallon is a good service point to start with, start changing them sooner if it looks or feels like the fluid has worn out before a gallon is up.

Now, thicker center diff fluid will give you more forward punch, less diffing out to the front wheels and make the truck want to oversteer more on power.

Thicker front diff fluid will give you more on power steering, thinner front diff fluid will give you more off power steering. Front diff fluid doesn't effect front to rear power bias, only the center does.

Thicker rear diff fluid will give you a lot less off and on power steering, it can be used to calm down the truck or buggy and make a loose setup easier to drive. Thinner will give you more steering and can make the back end loose.

From what I'm reading the GV Cage is a buggy so for diff fluid weights I would start with 5k front 10k center (a little heavy for a buggy but you do have a pretty big engine) 2k rear. Hope this helps

Sylvain 11-08-2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kzlucas (Post 9883361)
Thanks Lucas

Many RTRs come with grease in their diffs. Grease is equivalent to 1000k diff fluid. This might explain why most power goes to the front wheels. Clean all 3 diffs and fille them with silicon diff fluid.

If you want more power to the rear wheels, you must use thicker center diff oil. With a .32 engine, I would suggest something between 7000wt and 10000wt. Keep in mind that thicker center diff fluid will make the rear end looser on slippery surfaces or oversteer but if you only bash, I don't think it will make a big difference.

A good starting point is 5000 front, 7000 center and 3000wt rear.

Kzlucas 11-09-2011 01:31 AM

Thanks guys you have all been a great help and as for what's in the diffs it's still the same stuff as when I bought it so I will try a few things you all have said and will let you know how it goes
Thanks again Lucas