R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   First Track Experience (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/565904-first-track-experience.html)

nike16vs 11-06-2011 07:32 AM

First Track Experience

Hi Guy's I went down to the local track to try the circuit. Parking lot and track, damn are they different! Can some on point me in the direction for a "track racing for Dummies" I need to learn the basics of racing on a tack,
How to throttle, appraoch bend and jumps ect . It was sad to see another experience driver take my car around the track effortlessly.

nitroal 11-06-2011 07:42 AM

best thing is to just watch other drivers to see where they brake/gas and then just practice, practice, practice!!

NitroXray80809 11-06-2011 08:42 AM

Here are the key compnents to being on a track.

1.SLOW IS FAST(Driving smooth and not crashing will always give you a upper hand).

2.PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE..... Can't stress that word enough!

Everyone has a diffrent driving style so you can't really tell another person how to do drive.

nike16vs 11-06-2011 09:18 AM

Thanks,

vw addict 11-06-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by nike16vs (Post 9875070)
It was sad to see another experience driver take my car around the track effortlessly.

don't think of it at sad, think of it as how good you can become. I'm sure it wasn't that guys first time at the track, see what happens with some track time? Just don't get discouraged, we have all been there.

pntmachine 11-06-2011 10:24 AM

Your best bet is to volunteer to turn marshall especially the pro races or during practice. Watch what they do and how they time things etc. Move around in different spots or to some that are giving you trouble and see where they position. Watch there car movement and front tire setups on landings. It will help alot :nod:

Slider30250 11-06-2011 10:41 AM

Something else to do on practice days, pick a spot on the track that always gives you the worst trouble and practice on just that section. Get that section right then move on to the next section.

Integra 11-06-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Slider30250 (Post 9875716)
Something else to do on practice days, pick a spot on the track that always gives you the worst trouble and practice on just that section. Get that section right then move on to the next section.

All the while without hopping pipes and reeking havoc elsewhere on the track of coarse. ;)

hustler777 11-06-2011 02:07 PM

+10 on everything said above....and above all else.......HAVE FUN!!!!!

vash42 11-06-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by nike16vs (Post 9875070)
...It was sad to see another experience driver take my car around the track effortlessly.

In a way, that could be a good thing. At least you know that your setup gets around the track. There's no substitute for wheel time so just run as much as you can. Find a line that's comfortable and make clean laps. You run clean laps and speed will come. Also talk to other drivers, people are usually helpful especially if your new to the track.

nike16vs 11-06-2011 11:24 PM

Thnaks for all sthe input

vladconnery 11-07-2011 02:02 AM

OK so a pro drove your car and it checked out your off to a good start then. Next put that same car on the track each time. Can't stress this enough dont be like me and others who spent race seasons chasing set ups. When what we needed to do is chase skill. What that means is maintain your car and don't go changing your set up anytime soon. Your new what you are going to need to do is learn to drive period. All of the above posters were spot on. Clean your car after every race or practice session. Pull maintenance on your car every other race.

1. Change your diff fluid every gallon
2. Check your shocks depends on the track
3. Clutch bell bearings every gallon
4. glow plug every gallon
5. air filter whenever it gets dirty at least the pre filter depending on the track conditions i.e. a dusty track you may have to do this 3x's in a race or practice day.

You may need to do the above after a practice session. If you have a practice session that goes longer than a 1/2 gallon of fuel you need to do maintenance on your car.

Amount of fuel ran is a good way to judge when you need to pull maintenance. On a typical race day you will use 1/2 gallon or more. thats a bit of practice 2 x 5 min quals and 1 x 20 min race.

Anal racers like me change there diff fluid replace clutch bell bearings and glow plug every race. If you do it every gallon of fuel ran your doing good.

Most importantly you are an average driver at this point stick with a basic set up on your car. A basic set up is just that a point where anyone can take your car and drive it and make average lap times. Pro set ups are just that pro set ups they will cause you to have problems because the car will handle very differently way outside of the average drivers skill set.

Remember we are just having fun with toys and you will be OK. :tire::nod::nod::tire:

nike16vs 11-07-2011 06:41 AM

Thanks guys

cary 11-07-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 (Post 9875335)
Here are the key compnents to being on a track.

1.SLOW IS FAST(Driving smooth and not crashing will always give you a upper hand).

2.PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE..... Can't stress that word enough!

Everyone has a diffrent driving style so you can't really tell another person how to do drive.

Practice is the best thing you can do and do it more than you race.

Zao18 11-07-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cary (Post 9879346)
Practice is the best thing you can do and do it more than you race.

+1 to that. Really lets you get to know your car and your track.