R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Gv cage: love it or hate it? Well I'm a fan (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/565544-gv-cage-love-hate-well-im-fan.html)

Kzlucas 11-05-2011 02:22 AM

Gv cage: love it or hate it? Well I'm a fan

Hey all I bought the Gv cage last week withe the force .32 and I must say what fun sure I haven't had it on a track yet as there isn't any around me but I have belted it around on the dirt and yeah alot of fun always walk away with a huge grin on my face looking like a idiot lol :lol:

gritty granny 11-06-2011 04:26 PM

Hi Kzlucas, you'll find more info in this forum on the cage better known as XTM Racing Rail, both electric and nitro. Had my electric out today, where are you from?

Kzlucas 11-07-2011 01:03 PM

Ok cool I didn't know that but now I do lol
I live in caboolture so yeah there isn't any local tracks that are close to me but I go down to the bike track where there is a nice long dirt road I'm pretty good at drifting it around I must admit that I am pretty rough with the cage but hey that's why they put the .32 in it lol but I give it a hour n a half clean after each run and I'm talking a full strip n clean
Only thing I don't like about it is the cheap roll cage it has on it after 1 semi hard crash after hitting a hidden rock that was under some leaves I lost all screws holding the roof plate in place and the roll cage cracked the top fun of the heat sink so yeah a bit cranky at that but otherwise it's a great machine and I'm only running 16% at the mo too and she's nice and quick with alot of power lol LOVE IT!!!

gritty granny 11-07-2011 05:28 PM

Yeah I broke a plastic connector so I went for all aluminum connectors. Do you still have the stock tires?

Kzlucas 11-08-2011 01:10 AM

I thought about getting the alloy connectors but I might just get a full stainless steel roll cage it's alittle bit heavier but is allot more durable and yeah still got the stock tyers I love them for dirt but they arnt too good for grass lol

gritty granny 11-09-2011 03:51 PM

Kz, Not sure what your driving style is but something to consider is the weight of the steel cage. I moved my ESC from the sideways/floor position up to a flat level with the side rails and cornering performance was noticably changed. Your season is just starting there right?

Kzlucas 11-10-2011 01:03 AM

Yeah I drive pretty hard I push the force .32 motor as hard as it will let me but not too hard as to do damage and as for the weight of the solid cage it is heavier but not by too much and it only costs $90 which is around the same as the alloy connecters if not a bit cheaper lol

gritty granny 11-10-2011 05:52 PM

Yeah it's cheaper by a bit. How is the new cage attached? Can you still pop off a couple of clips and open it up or is it going to be big affair? After working with the connectors for a couple of months now, the easiest way is to simply unscrew all the connector/body mounts and pull the whole thing straight up. Hopefully I'm done with all the tweaking for a while and I can just enjoy driving. How fast is the nitro you think? I heard they are hard to start, that true?

Kzlucas 11-10-2011 08:58 PM

The cage is a similar setup to the stock one but instead of the 4 screws in the back it's 2 and the cage isn't hinged at the front so you have the 2 nuts to come off so all up it's easier than the original.
As for the speed of the nitro I'm not sure I'm headed down to the local park to run some 20% through it but it is pretty quick and its not too hard to start all depends on the run in process mine starts in like 3 pulls of the starter and away she goes lol

caaraa 11-12-2011 01:35 AM

Great thread! Also my favorite view.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/...0.creation.jpg

Kzlucas 11-12-2011 01:59 PM

Ok so I have finally came across my first problem with the cage when I bought it I did the important task of making sure that I locktite all screws and made sure things where tight and stuff but you think I checked the screw that holds the clutch bell on? Well nope I just thought that it would've been done at the factory that assembles the motor so yesterday it spat it now I have to wait till my local hobby shop gets in a new set of bearings and shims lol my bad really I should've checked it so it's off the road till Wednesday which isn't cool seeing as today is the perfect day for thrashing it around at the park :(

gritty granny 11-13-2011 08:58 AM

The steele cage setup sounds ok. With the aluminum connectors I take six screws off and pull it straight up. Needless to say, I've mastered getting the batteries in and out without removing the cage.
Yeah that's too bad about your clutch bell. I didn't get mine new so I've been all through it with locktite and super glue. On the "screw things down" note, you may want to pick up a few diff mounting screws but not the 16mm in the manual but 18mm that have a little more bite and fit just fine.

Kzlucas 11-14-2011 12:23 AM

Ok sweet i will grab some of those screws when I pick up the other parts tomorrow which won't come soon enough lol but any hint and tip is greatly appreciated so thanks again.
Can't wait till tomorrow but

gritty granny 11-18-2011 05:23 PM

Does the GV Cage nitro come with a anti-sway bar on the front?

Kzlucas 11-18-2011 08:25 PM

No it does have the rear one but you can purchase the front set for $13.95 at www.powerslideracing.com.au but it really doesn't need one well I don't think it does and I put it through some tuff stuff