A good cheap nitro for a beginner

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Hmmm a couple of suggestions......

Nitro:
HPI Firestorm (2WD 1/10th truck)
Team Associated GT2 (2WD 1/10th truck), unfortunately doesnt have 2.4Ghz radio
If you can go a little above $400.....
HPI D8S (1/8th 4WD buggy, based off the Hotbodies D8.....heck I kinda want this one tbh)
Losi 810 (4WD 1/8th buggy, though it's a little smaller than a "full-sized" 1/8th buggy like the 8ight)

Electric: (all these are brushless)
HPI e-firestorm flux (2WD 1/10th truck)
Team Associated B4.1 (2WD 1/10th buggy)
For a little over $400, the Losi 22 (2WD 1/10th buggy)

Basically all these are RTRs, reasonably durable, can be taken to the track or bashed within reason, and with the exception of the GT2, have 2.4 GHz radios which is pretty much a "must have" nowadays. AM and FM radios don't cut it anymore. Also, all those companies are pretty popular and generally have good parts availability.

HPI also has a few new goodies coming up, I have no idea if they are available in the US yet. For nitro, there is the Trophy 3.5 buggy and 4.6 truggy. For electric, there is the Trophy buggy flux and truggy flux. All are 4WD. I think they are supposed to all run for under $500, though I could be mistaken.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the fancier stuff like Mugen and Xray. No experience or research done on them. They aren't particularly popular brands here at Edmonton. I mostly see HPI, Hotbodies, Losi, and Serpent here, though I will admit I am really just starting to get into the racing scene here.