Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Need help with choosing parts (especially radio system) >

Need help with choosing parts (especially radio system)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with choosing parts (especially radio system)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with choosing parts (especially radio system)

Hello, I am new to RC cars and I just bought a kit off of GreatHobbies.com. The DNX408 by Team Durango. I have been working on it for about 2 months on and off, but before I bought it I didn’t realize I would need so many extra parts.

After I researched on engines I decided to get a Dynamite Mach 2. I didn’t realize this wasn’t all the engine parts I needed. I am thinking of getting the ASC28048 exhaust pipe, DYM2505 air filter, and either the DYM2508 or DYM2509 glow plugs. Will all of these parts be compatible with the Mach 2? And are there any suggestions on if I should get “hot” or “cold” glowplugs for it?

I also need tires for my car... it’s a 1/8 scale buggy, and the terrain here is rough so I want off-road. I am thinking PRO903408. Will this fit a wheel with a 3 3/8(maybe 3 1/2) inch diameter?and 2 6/8 inch thick?

Now the last thing, I believe is the radio system. I bought a 100 dollar one from a local electronic store but the battery pack doesn't fit in my car so I need a "flat" one and I also need another servo. Are servos universal to all receivers? Will they work with eachother if I get any or do I need to keep the same brand? Do I need to check how much volts of electricity each component needs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

most servos are universal with a 3 pin plug, run the black wire the same as the switch plug, buy a good strong servo for this car or it will die prematurely.
10 kg or more and metal gears...you really should have 2 good one for a buggy, and you need the right spline servo horns also.
with the right size 5 cell rechargable pack you will have the right voltage to run everything.

what you have brought is a full on race buggy, its not designed for serious offroad terrain like a monster truck...bashing around in the dirt is fine though and it wont matter what tyres you get, a bigger block tread will last longer.

you should have got an airfilter with the kit?..make sure you oil it to keep the dust out of your motor.

read up on things like how to run-in the motor so it will last and give good power.
the number pipes and plugs you mention are not anything i've seem before, hot plug for run-in and medium for racing around should be ok... the best pipe for the motor is what dynomite and other owners recomend
the best advice i can give you is go to a track and see how these thing are raced if you havn't already or check out some youtube...alll the info you need is on this site so good luck mate.

Craig
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Buggy tires are pretty standard so they should all mostly fit. Tires depends on the track. See what the local guys are running and go from there. I prefer hot glo plugs but I have never had the engine you have so I'm not sure about this particular engine, ask the question in the engine section. On the radio it all depends on your budget and what you want your radio to do. I love my KO radio but it's prob too much for some. The dx3r pro is a nice radio and other great choices are the futaba 4pk and airtronics m11x. These are all top level radios but depends on what your budget is.

Last edited by Frank L; 09-21-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Rookie

hmm alright well I already have a
-Hitec FM Aggressor Transmitter,
-HFS-03MT receiver.
-The servo that came with will probably be chewed up really fast, and all I need now is a battery that fits in my car...
Does it matter if it's a NiMH or a LiPo?

Thinking of getting 2 of these: Savox 0251 metal gear high torque digital servos.

Theres a 5 cell battery NiMH(1100mAh or 1600mAh) that says 6v, and the servo I may get is 4.8-6v so as long as the battery is within that range they will work with eachother? Whats the difference in mAh?

oh and servo horns, my kit actually came with plastic ones so I guess I can just upgrade to aluminum when they wear out.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

savox are good servos, get the 1600 pack it will give you longer running time.

I'm with you on the KO gear Frank, just upgraded to the eurus from the helios.
got one of the RsX response servos also, so smooth and fast.

Also Frank, a mate of mine Grant brought your 6T...he's very happy with it.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sraktai
hmm alright well I already have a
-Hitec FM Aggressor Transmitter,
-HFS-03MT receiver.
-The servo that came with will probably be chewed up really fast, and all I need now is a battery that fits in my car...
Does it matter if it's a NiMH or a LiPo?

Thinking of getting 2 of these: Savox 0251 metal gear high torque digital servos.

Theres a 5 cell battery NiMH(1100mAh or 1600mAh) that says 6v, and the servo I may get is 4.8-6v so as long as the battery is within that range they will work with eachother? Whats the difference in mAh?

oh and servo horns, my kit actually came with plastic ones so I guess I can just upgrade to aluminum when they wear out.
U need a regulator if u use lipo with out high voltage sevos.... The higher mah is more runtime.... The durango has had a few updates since release so maybe look and see what you may need. The dynamite mach 2 might have been a bad engine choice for a race buggy. Also i would recomend getting a nice 2.4 ghz radio. Speeding big first off hand will save in long run! Dont try to nickel and dime it, the guys who do get ran off because gear failure.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

2.4 is nice but not needed crystals are great i race costantly and still run them like tke feel better. O. Servos buy good o.es once or buy cheap ones a bunch of times i think that hitec 7955 are the servos great torque and good speed and last 4 ever amd have great warranty if break simply send back and they fix 4 free
Dont worry about lipo just run nimh pack 6.0 flat pack 4 that car make sure to read the break in ible when getti.g close to going this will save motor in long run and oh yeah enjoy your toy some people worry about having the best stuff instead of just having fun that is what its about
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by curacing2
savox are good servos, get the 1600 pack it will give you longer running time.

I'm with you on the KO gear Frank, just upgraded to the eurus from the helios.
got one of the RsX response servos also, so smooth and fast.

Also Frank, a mate of mine Grant brought your 6T...he's very happy with it.
That truck was very good to me. Glad to see he's happy

The rsx line of servos is some of the best stuff on the market but it does cost more up front. We are messing around with a programing card this weekend for the rsx servos they can really be dialed in to how you like them.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hobbyking makes a radio for about 40 bucks, it's 2.4ghz, has many of the features of higher end radios, and seems to work pretty well ( a couple of my friends have them ) I'm a huge fan of Hitec 7955 titanium geared servos..they can handle unregulated lipo batteries, and as stated above, last forever, also, they have the best service in the servo industry IMO..you wreck it, they fix or replace it 95% of the time..you can't ask for better than that. Best of luck with your new toy.

I'm not sure what you paid for your Dynamite engine ? My buddy just bought a Clockwork Racing modded Argus .21 . This is one impressive engine for the price ( $225-modded ) . For the price, this engine is a real performer, and works great in buggy and truggy, I will be buying one for a practise engine instead of using my Bonito for practise days.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Awesome! Thanks guys. =) this really helped. I went ahead and ordered 2 savox 0251 MG high torque and a 6V 1700mAh NiMH for it.