Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommend a good 1/8 scale buggy for bashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default recommend a good 1/8 scale buggy for bashing

right now the Ofna Ultra LX2 is looking good to me.

i've recently gotten back into the hobby and don't really know where things are at with 1/8 scale. i have a bunch of old associated buggies and trucks. the newest being a factory team gt from 2001(this was about the time i left the hobby). and a couple of hpi rs4's one being nitro. the only two that i have running now is a B3 with a castle sidewinder sv2 combo and the gt with an os .18cv.

now i just want something... newer.

so what's a good 1/8 scale basher buggy? price and durability is way more important than raceability. i will never race.

the lx2 seems to have both those qualities. i just have no idea if it's good quality buggy or not.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Rootdown4594
right now the Ofna Ultra LX2 is looking good to me.

i've recently gotten back into the hobby and don't really know where things are at with 1/8 scale. i have a bunch of old associated buggies and trucks. the newest being a factory team gt from 2001(this was about the time i left the hobby). and a couple of hpi rs4's one being nitro. the only two that i have running now is a B3 with a castle sidewinder sv2 combo and the gt with an os .18cv.

now i just want something... newer.

so what's a good 1/8 scale basher buggy? price and durability is way more important than raceability. i will never race.

the lx2 seems to have both those qualities. i just have no idea if it's good quality buggy or not.
if you will not be racing you hit the nail on the head! ofna is a tough buggy but not really race worthy, it was back in the day but to many better race kits out now. if you are looking for a truggy basher the thunder tiger st-1 is the way to go! on sale at amain for 244.00. cant go wrong there!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Rookie

that thunder tiger st-1 doesn't look quite right. it seems it's just a buggy fitted with wide offset truggy wheels and a body and not actually a dedicated truggy.

the eb4-s3 looks better but seems to be more expensive. but i do like the pivot ball front end. while it does lack swaybays.
the kyoshe neo looks good too but it looks to have plastic shocks. or are they aluminum?

i'd actually like to have a kit instead. i guess people don't enjoy building their cars anymore. it just seems they don't offer kits with the basher in mind in the same price range.

ideally i would like to have a kit, engine, servos, receiver(don't need a transmiter) all in the 300-400 dollar price range. but it seems that just doesn't exist.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sure it does. You can go thru the for sale threads here pick up a used race kit. Then you'll have a nice newer buggy and u can get engines in the $200 dollar range brand new and then, since your just bashing you dont really need high dollar servos (i would recommend a steering servo with atleast 100-150oz/in of torque). Thats just my 2 cents. Iv got a Jammin X1cr factory team edition that has been amazingly durable that i can give u a good deal on if your interested?? Send me a PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

i would like to stay with getting something unused.

all these ofna buggies confuse me. does ofna make all of these or do they import also?

what are the differences between the hyper 8.5, jammin x1x, and the ultr lx2? they seem to be very similar with minor differences between them. it's kinda hard to inspect through just pictures on the internet. local hobby shop doesn't really stock anything other than traxxas and a just a couple models of the other big names so i can't really take a good look at anything.

they way i see it it looks as if... ultra lx2<hyper 8.5<jammin x1x. but each one seems to have its own advantages and disadvantages. for example: the lx2 seems to have better shocks than the 8.5 and the 8.5 seems to have better/thicker shock towers than the x1x. it's so confusing!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know exactly what you're saying. I just got back into the hobby after a 6 year break. The 1/8 buggy game is so different it's not even funny. It's almost impossible to find a kit these days that isn't a full on race buggy. Good luck, hope you find the buggy you're looking for.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Pick up a Caster Racing one. They are tough as nails. As a basher, the only upgrade you need is the Diggity designs top brace kit. Then you can do just about anything with one.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If you don't want a used buggy and are not going to race, I agree OFNA is the way to go. I picked up a Hyper 7 TQ with the .28 the beginning of the year to bash around with and haven't been disappointed yet. If you go used I suggest a losi 8.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You've got a PM
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Rookie

the more research i do the more buggies i find. back in the day there were only two or three 1/8 scale buggies around. kyosho dominated and there were like one or two others way behind. never heard of caster racing but their cars seem to not be any worse than from the well known companies. are caster racing parts readily available from places like tower hobbies and a main? the only real problem i see with the caster racing rtr is that it comes with an AM radio. i thought AM radios were long gone.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Rookie

jeez, even hpi is in the 1/8 scale buggy game now
Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I too picked up the hyper 7 tq and it's a good buggy, i don't race at all so it suits me fine!!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hyper 7 tq black for bashing has been good to me!!