R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Kyosho STRR Evo vs. Serpent 811T (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/553537-kyosho-strr-evo-vs-serpent-811t.html)

hookem34 09-23-2011 04:25 PM

Kyosho STRR Evo vs. Serpent 811T

So.....what are your thoughts(price is a non factor)?

My popcorn bucket is full:cool:

jzemaxx 09-23-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9695612)
So.....what are your thoughts(price is a non factor)?

My popcorn bucket is full:cool:

Durability....the serpent all the way. Also it super stable and easy to drive. My only complaint on the serpent cars is lack of steering throw. After swapping to an MP9 the S811 has the steering throw of a Peterbilt.

KThatcher 09-23-2011 06:21 PM

Evo! easy choice

RcRacer27mx 09-23-2011 06:23 PM

The new Evo looks like a sweet Truggy! :nod:

J.Sears 09-23-2011 06:27 PM

Yeah kyosho is real nice but you can buy 2 serpents for the price of one EVO. They are very proud of their products that's for sure.

vw addict 09-23-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9695612)
(price is a non factor)

get a 996 GT3 and have some fun, screw these kids toys!

808gx7r 09-23-2011 07:16 PM

what ever jared tebo is using and im dam sure its not serpent

hookem34 09-23-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by vw addict (Post 9696097)
get a 996 GT3 and have some fun, screw these kids toys!

I like your style:nod:. I'm partial to my M5 but a 997 GT3 is on my "next" list:cool: Love that car!

Frank L 09-23-2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 808gx7r (Post 9696267)
what ever jared tebo is using and im dam sure its not serpent

You could swap Tebos ride with a redcat and he would still dominate. everyone knows it's not the ride... It's the rider. :cool:

I think both are decent choices. Personally I like the serpent and the truggy is hands down the best truck I have driven. The 811t will increase most drivers Lap times right out of the box and then once it's dialed in to your liking it's like hitting that fun little NOS button in your 1:1 tuner. Hang on :cool:

And yea I rolled a RR for a little bit.

hookem34 09-23-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 9696470)
You could swap Tebos ride with a redcat and he would still dominate. everyone knows it's not the ride... It's the rider. :cool:

I think both are decent choices. Personally I like the serpent and the truggy is hands down the best truck I have driven. The 811t will increase most drivers Lap times right out of the box and then once it's dialed in to your liking it's like hitting that fun little NOS button in your 1:1 tuner. Hang on :cool:

Frank I value your opinion. What's your opinion on the major difference in the two?

Frank L 09-23-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9696495)
Frank I value your opinion. What's your opinion on the major difference in the two?

I'm not sure exactly how the eve will hold up I know the mp9 is on a serious diet in the drivetrain area. That's the only area I would be concerned about with the evo. It all depends on if you are one of those that has to have it right when it comes out. If so go with the evo. I use to be one if those but I was burned pretty hard by it too. So now I wait a little bit and see how they shake out. The 811t is but the 811 that it us based on has been out for awhile. Then again the same could be said for the k car. I think it all boils down to which flag you want to fly. I can tell you that the serpent is a dream to drive. It likes to be driven hard and dosent bite you when you drive very aggressive. On the 1st outing I took a friends advice and drove it like I stole it. I took the tq that day. I told a friend the same thing during his 1st qual and he improved his time by a whole lap in a 7 min qual.

Looks like they gave it a longer chassis, some updated driveline parts, a fancy new body and new shock boots (a lot of racers dont even use shock boots, I do but many don't), new wing mount, adjust collars on the shocks and stronger r/p, my question - Is that enough to warrant a new truggy or is it like the STR to STRR where a chassis, driveline kit and body encompassed the shift? Idk but it kinda looks like the evo is a STRRR in disguise. Real test is on the track in the hands of the average racer. Will the changes translate into a vastly improved, enhanced truck?

Sometimes it's all about how they drive and the serpent allows greatness. Time will tell with the RR Evo.

bigjayjay1 09-23-2011 08:49 PM

The kyosho is a world class kit buts its not as durable as the serpent. The serpent is a awesome truck super planted and its fast. Setup changes respond well and it turns very nicely OMG it has a lot of steering setup is key!!. There are a few Kyoshos at my track they're always replacing arms and drive train parts. Honestly you can't go wrong with neither no kit is perfect but I'm super happy with the serpent line and its made me a more consistent driver.

hookem34 09-23-2011 08:52 PM

That's a glowing endorsement on the Serpent. Frank I know you ran the Mugen 6T for a while. Is the Serpent that much better than the Mugen?

Frank L 09-23-2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9696551)
That's a glowing endorsement on the Serpent. Frank I know you ran the Mugen 6T for a while. Is the Serpent that much better than the Mugen?

The best way I can describe the serpent is the stability and ease of drive of the losi 2.0 and the turning and razor sharpness of the 6t wrapped in one snake. The 6t was good but the snake is great. Now the disclaimer. This is my opinion based on my experience. It shouldn't warrant crazy pms from some foreign country.

A concern exists whit the Evo as to the validity of releasing a new kit. In the past a simple shock change and new color insert warranted a new WC edition then there's the close release of the TKI and TKI2 kits. Kyosho is known for this. There's no question as to the quality of Kyosho it's been tested and proven time and time again, but would you be just as happy with a RR as an Evo?

RePeTe 09-24-2011 09:32 AM

Tebo would not win with a redcat, he couldnt win with an O'donnel. The top cars are all very equal, and same with truggies.

Also, who would want the vehicle that increases your laptimes?

NitroFreakManHo 09-24-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by RePeTe (Post 9697901)

Also, who would want the vehicle that increases your laptimes?

seriously??:rolleyes: I think that the rest of the forum understood what Frank meant..the Serpent is great no doubt.:tire::tire:

jewn_beef 09-24-2011 05:15 PM

funny tebo didnt do much with the od buggy if i remember right

Frank L 09-24-2011 05:25 PM

Man what a tough room....

jewn_beef 09-24-2011 05:55 PM

haha
i think that the car all though has little to do with it at pro level does have something to do with it tebo maifield cav. king drake so on can make the a with any car but need the right car to win or be thier at end
as for the two truggies
serpent looks very good indeed
evo yes is just a revised rr but the rr is so good all it needed is a little revising durability issues with drive train have been addressed and the front arms prob. has been addressed it is choose your flag like you stated earlier both will do well at top level on another note at the sportsman and expert level i have seen the right car make people faster.
but can say the same for the right motor verses a junk motor
both will be good the evo is not out yet but is just blinged up rr that is what i will roll with just because i can just upgrade my rr
p.s. no hard feelings

tony montana 09-24-2011 06:47 PM

never driven either of the truck. But I will say I seen Billy Easton wheel the serpent. The thing flat out hauls the mail. Of course Billy could drive anything but he took the TQ in front of mayfiled and drake, and Cav and a bunch of others. I would go Serpent just cause the price.

CKmaxx 09-24-2011 07:42 PM

I would go Serpent just because they are tough as nails....

Frank L 09-29-2011 03:17 PM

I see the EVO hit the shelves at amain today.

hookem34 09-29-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 9720536)
I see the EVO hit the shelves at amain today.

Yes they did:D

Now I just need the UPS guy to hurry the hell up!:batman:

Jaz240 09-29-2011 04:31 PM

does the serpent truugy have the same bearings over the pinions like the Buggy? EI: the same old design that XRAY used to use?

BrakeTurnAccelerate 09-29-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 9720810)
does the serpent truugy have the same bearings over the pinions like the Buggy? EI: the same old design that XRAY used to use?

Yes. But the V2 diff coupler does use 3 bearings, and has a boot so you can grease them and not worry about dirt working into them (biggest issue, IME).

811-T however does utilizes the ridiculously small 8x14x4 flanged bearings on the outer wheel hubs. I had constant trouble with those on the 811 buggy, no matter what brand or ABEC rating they were. I couldn't imagine how bad they'll be on the truggy with a wheel that's 3x as heavy. :lol:

mblgjr 09-29-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate (Post 9720880)

811-T however does utilizes the ridiculously small 8x14x4 flanged bearings on the outer wheel hubs. I had constant trouble with those on the 811 buggy, no matter what brand or ABEC rating they were. I couldn't imagine how bad they'll be on the truggy with a wheel that's 3x as heavy. :lol:

Whats funny about this is I have a friend running both Serpent platforms. The buggy has had issues with it; the truck hasn't. :weird:

Frank L 09-29-2011 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 9720810)

Heres a pic>>>

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...arcenterCV.png

tony montana 09-29-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 9720774)
Yes they did:D

Now I just need the UPS guy to hurry the hell up!:batman:

Just make sure you got your loan aprroved on that expensive rig first lol.

hookem34 09-29-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tony montana (Post 9721230)
Just make sure you got your loan aprroved on that expensive rig first lol.

"Straight cash Homie"....

-Randy Moss
:)

Jaz240 09-29-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 9721133)

thank you

CKmaxx 09-29-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate (Post 9720880)

Yah it kinda sucks that they didn't use the standard 8 x 16 x 5 but I'll get over it.

flysullivan 10-05-2011 06:43 AM

Serpent vs Evo

I have been racing he St-rr. Cadillac is the best word to describe it. It is very docile and easy to drive. Steers great on and off power but doesn't feel edgy. It kind of reminds me of the difference between losi and associated 1/10 scale. The losi is more forgiving and easier to drive. The associated is edgy and responsive which can enhance a good driver but make a average driver worse. As far as the evo goes...it is an st-rr with new "straight cut ring and pinion gears fr and rr. New bulkhead housings "d" version. The d is a stiffer material. The were getting flex and blowing the gears. They went with a straight cut (vs spiral) because they are more durable (arguably) and forgiving (not as smooth). My opinion is that the bulkheads were the problem. The evo comes with captured hinge pins. The old e-rings used to pop off a lot. New body, gun metal anodizing rather than purple and a mp9 wing stay and wing. All of the upgrades are for looks and durability/functionality. Much need upgrades. I agree that Kyosho has gotton out of control with their prices. I have already done the math and it is cheaper and makes more sense (all new parts) to buy the new kit rather than upgrade the old one. Hope this helps.