Wiki Posts
Search

Duratrax question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Duratrax question

Received a new duratrax raze in a trade. During break-in (about half a tank through), I needed to re-start engine. Broke pull-start. Instead of buying new pull-start I bought a duratrax starter box. Seemed like it was worth the money. Less hassle, etc.

Received the starter box, got it all set up. Put the raze on top, everything is meshing good, but the engine will not start up. Meaning, I have it pressed down, engine is purring as I have it pressed down, but it just will not go, meaning go on its own. Wheels will not go, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I am sure it is something stupid on my behalf, but I need help. I even though maybe it is the glow plug, so I changed that to a brand new one. Nothing. I have went through everything, I am at a loss.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you getting fuel to the carb? Is the glow starter fully charged? Also if the plug was bad the engine could have loaded up with fuel. Try pulling the plug and turn the engine with the starter box with towel over head in case it spits fuel out.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by romax
Are you getting fuel to the carb? Is the glow starter fully charged? Also if the plug was bad the engine could have loaded up with fuel. Try pulling the plug and turn the engine with the starter box with towel over head in case it spits fuel out.
From what I can tell I am getting fuel to the carb. Glow starter was fully charged. The plug I replaced I realized was not bad, I decided to test it on my savage, and it worked fine.

So If I just pull the glow plug out, just hit it with the starter box, and maybe watch the fuel fly? I was just dumbfounded (which is easy for me with nitro), that the dang thing wouldn't go.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You may have your low speed needle set too rich.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vw addict
You may have your low speed needle set too rich.

I already messed with all of that. I thought the same thing at first. I am just kinds of clueless on the whole thing. I am close to trading off the savage, raze and ALL nitro. The dang engine just will not turn over, maybe it is just flooded. But I tried two, now three different days. Tried different settings. I am sure for someone who is used to nitro, it is a simple fix, I am used to electric however.

If there are any other suggestions one might be able to give, please let me know.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

I am new to nitro too, and I know it can be frustrating at times. BUT DON'T GIVE UP!! Do you have a LHS you can go to for advice? Sometimes trying to diagnose a problem online can be tough.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

is the wheel omn the starter box turning the right direction? it should turn the same direction as the spur gear.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vw addict
I am new to nitro too, and I know it can be frustrating at times. BUT DON'T GIVE UP!! Do you have a LHS you can go to for advice? Sometimes trying to diagnose a problem online can be tough.
I live in Vegas, one of the LHS's tried to fix my Savage, a simple spur gear problem (I later learned), and ended up screwing it up worse than I could. Mounted the engine cock-eyed. So, I took it in there a second time, as everyone deserves a second chance and they only reiterated that they half-a$$ things. Needless to say, I have very little faith in one certain hobby shop, that is also big on-line.

I would absolutely love to find a great home-grown hobby-shop to help me out, but even in a city of 1.8 million it is tough. I know 702 raceway is mostly electric, but heard great things about them. I want to stay nitro, but lack of support is pushing me back to electric.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hustler777
is the wheel omn the starter box turning the right direction? it should turn the same direction as the spur gear.
I triple-checked to make sure I followed everything to a "T" regarding the direction of the starter box and spur gear, and yes, that is all good. Maybe the dang engine is just flooded. Shouldn't be. But, maybe it is. Again, I am dang close to putting these on the trading block.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

it does get aggrivating at times, espeacially when your breaking in a motor (even more so when a pull start is involved...) if you've checked everything other than being flooded, i bet your flooded.

i feel your pain about dumba$$es at hobby shops...back when i first started out in this hobby (1992 ) the only thing i had to rely on was the hobby shop from wich my tamiya king cab came from (fallon bike and hobby, fallon NV)...lets just say that I, at the age of 12, knew more about hobby grade R/C than their "tech"....example for ya...went in asking how tight the diff should be and if it would need a break in period....i was told to barely tighten the diff and leave it alone so i did...came back in the next time i got my allowance and ordered a new diff due to the old one melting....yeeeeeeeeeah.....someone was smoking the cheap stuff when they decided to give advice on R/C cars that day....
Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

put the engine back to factory settings and try again.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:03 PM
K4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My brother tried starting up his Raze the other day, it had started easily before when I did it but he couldn't get it to go. It sounded like it was on the brink of starting up when he turned it over. I thought the engine was flooded but actually it hadn't been primed enough. Try putting a little more fuel in the engine when you try to start it and give it some throttle. Hope this helps
Old 09-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you all for the responses. I will try what has been suggested. I know it is something stupid on my behalf, which is aggravating all unto itself as somehow I can get a doctorate but not figure out a nitro vehicle. Just goes to show you, that no matter the initials after the name, we are all idiots in some way, shape, or form One day, I will figure out how to create a test to measure common-sense, which you all will pass, and I shall fail.

You all have been awesome. I love this r/c community. You make it bearable and well worth the blood on my hands. The calloused fingers, etc.

Manimaniacal
Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Adept

Did everything, absolutely everything, again. Fuel was not getting to carb well enough, I guess one might say. Returned all to factory settings. The dang thing just will not turn over. I did the trick to see if engine was flooded. Nope.

Tomorrow is a new day, I will try, try again. Again, thank you all for the help. I am sure it is something stupid on my behalf. Heck, I even thought, maybe the batteries were not turning the starter box good enough, so I hooked it up to the car battery, same thing.

To say the least I am not going to give up on this thing. Even through all this trouble, I am sticking with nitro.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

ok........welll...........hmmmm......it's hard to keep diagnosing the problem without having things right here in front of ya lol.....it sounds like your not getting enough pressure from the exhaust to push fuel to the carb....could be a bad exhaust gasket or a bad preasure line.... possibly the pick up tube in the tank is plugged by either gunk of sorts or even some flashing from the molding process....it could be working like a one way flap restricting fuel when the tank is pressured up....pull the tank out completely and look down inside of it for anything that just doesn't look right, if all is good, then take a piece of fuel tubbing and attatch it to the outlet (the nipple on the tank that goes to the carb) and blow into it with compressed air, then do the same thing with the pressure nipple in the top of the tank....if it's not that then :weird :

.....maybe you have little invisible monkeys living in your stuff...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.