Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what tyres do you race?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Default what tyres do you race?

For 1/8 buggy, wanted to ask this since there are so many varying opinions, especially biased ones at tracks i know AKA tyres are the business, but they are hella expensive for a budget racer like myself at one of our tracks people run AKA ibeams, or proline chrime fighter...both medium/soft compound, guess the calibers would word great too...are there any other tyres that are cheaper, like the vppro ones and perform at the same level in terms of performance and longevity? which brand tends to last longer in general?

thanks!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run AKA Tires. But that was after chasing the "Hot" tires.

The best advise i've gotten this year was stick with one tire brand. Get a few of thier tires and in a couple componds and learn which tire and which compond works for what condition. That way when you get to a track you have never been to before you will be better off finding a tire that works for you.

Come indoor season though there is really on two tires that work at our race track and sad to say it's not a AKA.

I'm not sponsered by AKA so I recommend which ever brand you can afford, or want to use. If it were me I'd probably go with JConcepts over Proline, and even VP-Pro over Proline. Just because besides the Crime fighter I really haven't been too impressed with Proline tires.

Just my opinion and recommendation.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

i have chase the tire game and at the end of the day give me a good old set of aka tires and red foams evo wheels and rim inserts.
dialed much

aka can give you wings
Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I like AKA most of the time.(cityblocks) buggy&truggy
some times like Proline calibers on the truggy
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

the vppro axeman looks like a decent tire and is way cheap..almost half the price of AKA's here, i can get hold of some Pro Circuit Sweet Spots as well...they are also very well priced and look very similar to the I beams...like the Axeman ones
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

One of my racing buddies is sponsered by VP-Pro so he's been running their tires all summer against a few of us you have stuck with AKA. He does very well with them. In fact he's running number two in our series.

VP pro seems to make very similar treads as AKA, which make it easy for him to ask us what we feel is good and he's got something similar. The only thing is that the componds can feel different. I was tempted to run VP Pro, but I really like the AKA tires, always have, and had a bunch already. So I've just stuck with what I know.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run Hotbodies, Sweep, and Jconcept tires. Tire of choice is the HB megabite
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I need to get me some cityblocks. I need new treads bad, and have read nothing but good things.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goomba_7
One of my racing buddies is sponsered by VP-Pro so he's been running their tires all summer against a few of us you have stuck with AKA. He does very well with them. In fact he's running number two in our series.

VP pro seems to make very similar treads as AKA, which make it easy for him to ask us what we feel is good and he's got something similar. The only thing is that the componds can feel different. I was tempted to run VP Pro, but I really like the AKA tires, always have, and had a bunch already. So I've just stuck with what I know.
Hi Goomba. Since you run AKA I was wondering if you could help me. I asked in the AKA thread but get ignored.

Would you know which out of I-BEAM, IMPACT and ENDURO would best perform in rough loose conditions? Which tread pattern from those would less likely catch ruts? I'm running buggy.

When you are looking at a tread pattern that is least likely to catch ruts are you wanting the spacing between the pins/blocks to be tighter or wider? Also what relations does the height of the tread play in trying to avoid this?

Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

HotBodies Megabites and Beams cover most situations for me. You will hard pressed to find a single person to knock those.

Outside of that AKA city blocks and ibeams.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by John.
Hi Goomba. Since you run AKA I was wondering if you could help me. I asked in the AKA thread but get ignored.

Would you know which out of I-BEAM, IMPACT and ENDURO would best perform in rough loose conditions? Which tread pattern from those would less likely catch ruts? I'm running buggy.

When you are looking at a tread pattern that is least likely to catch ruts are you wanting the spacing between the pins/blocks to be tighter or wider? Also what relations does the height of the tread play in trying to avoid this?

Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

in rough conditions i think the "i-beams" knock off the ruts ive ran buggy and truggy with i-beams . But looking at the "aka enduros" they look like the best out of any of them for rough conditions.

you want a tire that is spaced out more to fling the ruts off .
i think taller treads play into the roll to aviod it.

i tried tires like cityblocks, and jc crosshairs there tightly spaced and not to greatest for that condition from my exprience.