R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Making Nitro Bodies Last (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/543690-making-nitro-bodies-last.html)

Muggydude 08-20-2011 08:57 PM

Making Nitro Bodies Last

How do you guys protect your bodies so that spilled fuel does not ruin them?

So*Cal AFDude 08-20-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muggydude (Post 9552042)
How do you guys protect your bodies so that spilled fuel does not ruin them?

coat the paint with a thin layer of shoe glue

thenova70ss 08-20-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude (Post 9552089)

+1

RePeTe 08-20-2011 10:48 PM

never had the spilled fuel mess up my paint before.

Franchise 08-21-2011 03:26 AM

What I've found to work best is aluminum tape. It sticks very well, strengthens and it acts.as a heat shield if your muffler is close to your body. I don't remember where I got it from.

drs92 08-21-2011 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Franchise (Post 9552604)
What I've found to work best is aluminum tape. It sticks very well, strengthens and it acts.as a heat shield if your muffler is close to your body. I don't remember where I got it from.

x2 get it at mostly any store :nod:

John. 08-21-2011 03:53 AM

I never really spill that much fuel so it affects the paint under my body. It's $11 per litre down here so I'm careful with the stuff. I also threaten my pit man with a RNC so they avoid getting sloppy when pitting for me. Nothing worse than a sloppy pit man.

I do use heat shield tape also. The Kyosho roll as it's quite light and sticks well. Racers Edge makes a 3000 degree heavy duty sheet that sticks well also, but it's heavier and not as malleable as the Kyosho stuff. I use it on the pipe side of the body and also around the body posts underneath. Not one crack yet in the body. If you have the time I would do the whole underneath of the body, your paint will stay brand new.

But as drs92 said. You can find heat shield tape from any store and in different sizes. Probably a lot cheaper too than buying the RC branded stuff.

MattB11741 08-21-2011 08:40 AM

Rust-Oleum's Crystal Clear, spray it on after you paint but before you pull the window masks. Might need to exacto around your window masks before removing them. Helps to recoat every once in a while.

rfleck 08-21-2011 12:04 PM

Using drywall tape then light layer of shoe goo helps with the mounting holes. Also elongate the holes to allow body to move a little when the chassis flexes.

The aluminum tap or shoe goo on the side pods helps as well.

mtwinste 08-21-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude (Post 9552089)

+1

Jerm13 08-21-2011 04:21 PM

I hate doing bodies:flaming: I have used the stickers that come with the bodies as an internal protection method. Just apply them where it rubs and they last for a long time. I have also used the clear self adhesive lamination to good result. I know Losi used to sell some 3M heat tape. I used that too but it came off in about 3 months. I just got done doing 2 bodies this weekend for my kids. I think I am going to shoe goo my sons nitro. He's pretty hard on them.