Wiki Posts
Search

Gears: Alternative To Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Gears: Alternative To Steel?

Something dawned on me a little while ago, but I don't think I ever got a satisfactory answer. On some "flashligfht" 1/8 buggies like the RC8BE, the spur gear is made of plastic rather than steel, so that got me to thinking: if plastic would work for a 'lectric car, then why not for a nitro? Then to take it a step further, why don't manufacturers produce plastic ring gears and spurs?

Theoretically, this would reduce rotating mass rather significantly, shave a good 3 ounces off the car and even if the gears wear faster than steel, they should still be cost-effective to replace. Thoughts on this?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Think its a durability issue. Youd constantly run the risk of stripping the gears during an hour long A-main.
Electric cars doesnt run as long and dont get as hot as nitro cars do either so theres less stress on the gears.

Its possible to replace the steelgears with titanium, but titanium isnt as strong as steel and its very expensive.
Id rather have steel gears and be sure than have something thats weaker and make the car somewhat lighter. The weight difference will be barely noticable anyways and alot of todays cars are very close to the minium weight even as it is.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Ringgears and pinion gears in plastic would get damaged very fast in 1/8. Some guys even manage to break steel gears...
Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

What about heat
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
Something dawned on me a little while ago, but I don't think I ever got a satisfactory answer. On some "flashligfht" 1/8 buggies like the RC8BE, the spur gear is made of plastic rather than steel, so that got me to thinking: if plastic would work for a 'lectric car, then why not for a nitro? Then to take it a step further, why don't manufacturers produce plastic ring gears and spurs?

Theoretically, this would reduce rotating mass rather significantly, shave a good 3 ounces off the car and even if the gears wear faster than steel, they should still be cost-effective to replace. Thoughts on this?
Many moons ago when Kyosho launched their first 1/8 GP buggy 'BURNS', the spur gear comes ONLY in plastic. The only advantage with a plastic spur gear is it runs quieter & the clutchbell's gear literally lasts forever !!.
However, ppls are stripping those plastic spur gear like nobody business. Though they are much cheaper (about 3/4) than a steel one, the chances of it stripping is high. Loosen engine mount, worn center diff or clutchbell bearing or a small stone caught there will strip it instantly.
Thereafter, the steel spur gear comes as an option upgrade part and subsequently becomes standard part in later model. Those were the days !!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KK-racing
Many moons ago when Kyosho launched their first 1/8 GP buggy 'BURNS', the spur gear comes ONLY in plastic. The only advantage with a plastic spur gear is it runs quieter & the clutchbell's gear literally lasts forever !!.
However, ppls are stripping those plastic spur gear like nobody business. Though they are much cheaper (about 3/4) than a steel one, the chances of it stripping is high. Loosen engine mount, worn center diff or clutchbell bearing or a small stone caught there will strip it instantly.
Thereafter, the steel spur gear comes as an option upgrade part and subsequently becomes standard part in later model. Those were the days !!

Aaah yes, the good ol' days of the Burns! Quite right, the spur would likely be quite vulnerable to damage more so than heat, due to the fact that it's exposed. That having been said, if you lose a bearing in the clutch bell or the diff, then regardless of whether the spur is plastic or steel, you've got serious problems. I still think that it could be interesting to experiment with the front or rear diff ring gears though, as those are well protected from debris. I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard for a big manufacturer to rapid prototype some of these if they really wanted to.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

Used a plastic spur today for the first time and its fine. Just make sure you can mesh gears correctly and don't land on throttle. It looks brand new after 1hr of racing