Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro vs e

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JeredR
Are the e buggies usually heavier?

hey extra weight is not a bad thing = more plated espially on a dry dusty track .

i notice the diffrence on my 1/8 e truggy espailly if i use a hardcase "4c lipo" thats more heavyer than my soft case 4c lipo.

i cant speak for the weight on a (1/8 e buggy) maybe it makes a diffrence handling wise , but my "1/8 e truggy" is about a pound heavyer i whould say but to be honest i cant notice the extra weight that much compared when i ran my as nitro.

so maybe its a bigger deal with a 1/8 e buggy.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by losi_racer
charging at 2-3C will kill the batteries over time. I actually just have a very good talk with AAron Waldron and a tech from Amain.
Sure you are right about that, but then again, that is the price you will have to pay if you are doing lots of track time and not only attend races!

I consider the batteries as expendable; they will not last forever even if you sleep with them in the bed.....

I always pre-charge my batteries at home on 1C, but at the track they get the full 2-3C treatment. If they give me two-seasons seasons of racing that i excellent and more is just a bonus.

Ups! I think we got sidetracked from the intended purpose of this thread again
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You cant say to somone Nitro is better because or electric is better because.

Because everyone will have their own opinion and power source that suits them better.

I am a DIE HARD nitro guy But i do have a brushless onroad just for running around/bashing for fun in my back lane so I dont get complaints from the neighbours.

But all my serious Fun/Race RC's are Nitro..
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I could care less which is faster. I prefer nitro just for the simple fact of the smoke,sounds of an engine, pit stops and everything else that makes it exciting. What I have observed on the track is that a very large percentage of drivers are indeed faster with an ebuggy. Usually by a pretty decent margin. Same driver, same track, just a different car.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

This last weekend, on a medium indoor track, the nitro buggies destroyed the ebuggies they were running with. Doesn't always happen on all tracks, but the battery boys do not always run away and hide.

I did cringe at the replacement battery pack for one of the buggies. $150+
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
I could care less which is faster. I prefer nitro just for the simple fact of the smoke,sounds of an engine, pit stops and everything else that makes it exciting. What I have observed on the track is that a very large percentage of drivers are indeed faster with an ebuggy. Usually by a pretty decent margin. Same driver, same track, just a different car.
Originally Posted by Trugsta
You cant say to somone Nitro is better because or electric is better because.

Because everyone will have their own opinion and power source that suits them better.

I am a DIE HARD nitro guy But i do have a brushless onroad just for running around/bashing for fun in my back lane so I dont get complaints from the neighbours.

But all my serious Fun/Race RC's are Nitro..
+1 to both of you. I prefer the noise, smoke, sound, and pit tactics also. It appeals to the eye more because of this, and resembles REAL RACING scaled down w/ clutches, engines, pipes ect. Same concepts and besides I would love to mx or a nascar but, r/c is what I have to work with. Makes me feel like a race car driver . Took my slash 4x4 took the track last friday to run and walked away with a losi 8ight 2.0. The nitro is so much more eye candy, listening too the persons throttle control and engines whine down the straight...pure awesomeness/viciousness. Watching the electrics run or marshaling them for that matter is not boring just dull. Don't get me I still own electrics but its just like someone turned off the radio in the car while driving. Watching them seems toyish, where as I don't feel like that with nitro I guess. When driving my ve8 I was more consistent there was nothing to fade or go wrong unless electronics. Just my thoughts
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

And just to put things into perspective; what is the cost of a decent nitro engine and how long does it last? And add fuel on top of that.

The answer to that usually stops the price discussion; both classes are expensive if you want to stick around and play.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
This last weekend, on a medium indoor track, the nitro buggies destroyed the ebuggies they were running with. Doesn't always happen on all tracks, but the battery boys do not always run away and hide.

please dont buy into the myth that you, need to spend $150 for a lipo pack you dont i been running "$48.00 4c packs" and there good and have yet to have any issues.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by drs92
+1 to both of you. I prefer the noise, smoke, sound, and pit tactics also. It appeals to the eye more because of this, and resembles REAL RACING scaled down w/ clutches, engines, pipes ect. Same concepts and besides I would love to mx or a nascar but, r/c is what I have to work with. Makes me feel like a race car driver . Took my slash 4x4 took the track last friday to run and walked away with a losi 8ight 2.0. The nitro is so much more eye candy, listening too the persons throttle control and engines whine down the straight...pure awesomeness/viciousness. Watching the electrics run or marshaling them for that matter is not boring just dull. Don't get me I still own electrics but its just like someone turned off the radio in the car while driving. Watching them seems toyish, where as I don't feel like that with nitro I guess. When driving my ve8 I was more consistent there was nothing to fade or go wrong unless electronics. Just my thoughts

you know what though its actally funner to watch the 1/8 e truggy or buggy run with the nitro class

i can agree with you somewhat it is kind of boring watching a separate class of 1/8 electric the fun part of watching it really is people who overpower them and there all over the place

i think im getting faster little by little with my e truggy than when i ran it as nitro last year.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
you know what though its actally funner to watch the 1/8 e truggy or buggy run with the nitro class

i can agree with you somewhat it is kind of boring watching a separate class of 1/8 electric the fun part of watching it really is people who overpower them and there all over the place

i think im getting faster little by little with my e truggy than when i ran it as nitro last year.
We got some electrics with nitros, but they seem tamer and smooth. I gotta work on getting me to finish a main
Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man

Every time an E- buggy or truggy runs at our track It has to be with the nitros becaue there isnt enough E'RC's to have a class of their own and Guess who Comes first in both Buggy and truggy not just now and then bt 100% of the time.
Thats right THE NITRO's....

What do you mean you "think" your faster with an E'truggy you should know weather you are or not.??.
Sounds like more TC5boy miss information.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress

I use Gens Ace 5000mah 4s packs that cost a whopping $66. I also charge them at 2c rates. Zero issues and they make our 15min mains with ease on my setup. I have a more expensive Reedy 5500mah pack, but there is no difference in power, just a little more headroom in runtime. From what I've seen, charging at higher rates is fine. My Hyperion charger shows internal resistance of my packs, and they're always super low. So many people say that it's bad to charge at higher rates, yet I know not a single person that has had an issue due to charging their packs in such a way.

At my local track, we mix nitro and E. There are about 12 guys in 1/8 buggy including me. Three of us are E. I placed second in last weekend's race, behind a nitro. To make it fair, those of us with E-rigs make fake pit stops around the 8min mark. Lap times between the two are a wash. I like nitros and I'm decent at tuning them having been in and out of this hobby since the 80's, but overall I like the ease of E. It really is easier to just plug in and go, no need for a pit guy and no worry of a flame out. The biggest problem I see locally is that a lot of the turn marshals assume my engine stalled if I need to be marshaled and try to run my buggy back to the pits.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

The biggest problem I see locally is that a lot of the turn marshals assume my engine stalled if I need to be marshaled and try to run my buggy back to the pits.

You need too slap on a put me down, I'm electric sticker on that chassis of yours
Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Trugsta

Every time an E- buggy or truggy runs at our track It has to be with the nitros becaue there isnt enough E'RC's to have a class of their own and Guess who Comes first in both Buggy and truggy not just now and then bt 100% of the time.
Thats right THE NITRO's....

What do you mean you "think" your faster with an E'truggy you should know weather you are or not.??.
Sounds like more TC5boy miss information.

yea well thats why i said its more exciting with the "1/8e running with the nitros"
i have to race with the nitro truggys because there is not enough of 1/8 truggy i like it though its a challege.

now on why you see the nitro truggy winning, and not the electric ones well that all depends on the driver 100% in the setup not the power plants thats false.

miss information i said that im getting more used to my "e truggy" now little by little so im still not exactly sure yet.

it feels like i am though.

turbowop: +1 right on point, yea i had a guy who was out on the track during practice picking the cars up that were fipped over and i crashed so the boy was looking at it like it was foreign or something

Last edited by tc5 man; 08-23-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It is amazing how much misinformation is still out there about electric 1/8th scale.

Batteries: Lipo packs are not expensive. I can't recall the last time I paid more than $50-$60 bucks for a battery to go in my buggy/truggy. You absolutely do not need the expensive rebadged batteries that some manufacturers sell.

Charge Time: If you invest in a quality charger/power supply instead of these cheapo 50w chargers long charge times are a thing of the past. I can charge my 6s packs from dead in less than 10 Minutes with a Cell Lab Pro 8/Max Amps 24volt Power Supply. Most quality LIPOs (even cheapo ones) are rated for at least 5c charge rates. In fact, I have a cheapo pack rated at 10c charge rates with absolutely no loss in battery performance. Because of the faster charging I only need one pack per car now to run all day. I can charge my packs faster than I can discharge them in the car.

Power: Electric is absolutely faster than nitro. I don't care who modded the engine, there is just no comparison in a straight line and acceleration. However, on the track, nitros are just as fast. The reason I think you see slightly faster lap times from Pro drivers with their nitros is that they race nitros more than their electrics so they are more comfortable. There is only so much power you can use in off road.

With that said, most guys who race electrics 1/8s seriously do not have over powered cars and generally they are no faster top end wise than nitros.

Runtime: 15 minutes is easy with any setup in a buggy. 20 minutes requires a bit more knowledge of picking the right setup. I've completed 25 minute mains with no battery swap before.

I like nitro and both are fun. I just prefer electric. Some guys love the noise and smoke while I don't really particularly care for it longer than a few minutes. RC racing in general is boring to spectators regardless if it is nitro or electric. However, when you are on the driver stand both are absolutely fun and challenging. Do what ever floats your boat. I enjoy racing with both nitros and electrics only. Some like Blondes, others like Redheads...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.