Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Just got home with my new 8eight....... >

Just got home with my new 8eight.......

Just got home with my new 8eight.......

Old 08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Just got home with my new 8eight.......

Now what? Where can I go to learn some of the basics? I mean I know a little, but I'd like to learn some more.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What exactly do you have questions about?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

EVERYTHING, didn't know where I could look to get an idea of the basics of nitro. I looked thru the manual quickly to get an idea, but all the basics of daily operation and maintenance
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

First thing Go to the offroad engine forum on this site.
read the engine break in bible..
that will give you a great starting point.
Once you have read it and have broken in your engine then read the tuning bible.
Then get into the losi8 thread and read about setups.
and go try the setupsfor yor self and find out what suits yur driving..

Thats a good start...
Old 08-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trugsta
First thing Go to the offroad engine forum on this site.
read the engine break in bible..
that will give you a great starting point.
Once you have read it and have broken in your engine then read the tuning bible.
Then get into the losi8 thread and read about setups.
and go try the setupsfor yor self and find out what suits yur driving..

Thats a good start...
+1 that for sure....

Break in is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP for nitro...dont do it and the motor wont last and engines arent cheap....

One thing to remember especially in break in....always rotate the flywheel until it is "loose" after killing the engine. This brings the piston to the bottom of the stroke where the cyinder head is not as tight as the top. If you spin the motor over with your finger you will know what im talking about. This is important...correct me if Im wrong seasoned vets lol....because it makes sure during the cooling process the cylinder head/piston doesnt warp or freeze up as Ive been told by many ppl. Also use after run oil, i use wd40....

Just read the bibles, research research research, as you can never know too much....
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

The engine has been properly broken in, and has two rich practice runs on it. Just wondering about the clutch and gearboxes, and what to do about caring for the engine after every run
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

After run oil is a must I use ARO even if im running again in acouple of days.
It keeps your bearings and internals in good shape.
as soon as I finish running while the engine is still warm take out the glow plug and put a few drops down the hole and turn the engine over on the box for a few seconds then add a few more drops and put the plug back in..
and yes always set your piston to BDC Bottom dead centre this allows your sleeve to shrink back to its regular size and will extend the life ofyour engine..

Clutch you really dont need to worry about too much if it is set up correctly then Only check it every 10-15 runs to see if the bearings and shoes are fine.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

thanks Trugsta, I just don't want to screw this this up. The previous owner said to drip some after run into the carb as well. Do I need to do that too?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
thanks Trugsta, I just don't want to screw this this up. The previous owner said to drip some after run into the carb as well. Do I need to do that too?
Certainly can't hurt...A little down the glow plug hole and alittle down the carb and spin it over. If you have a silicone filled crank make sure you use a after run oil that is safe for silicone. After every race i take the motor off inspect the clutch and change the clutch bearings(i use dollar bearings so i change them often). Spray the clutch bell out with some motor spray or brake cleaner. Take the flywheel off and clean the front motor bearing off...it'll get some dirt on it after every race. On my 8ight t 2.0 i'm only getting about a gallon or so on the shoes. Not sure about the buggy clutch. I use the losi long life shoes(i know you don't use these on the buggy) and go by the Adam Drake measurement.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

you can go thru the diffs about every 5 races or so if they aren't leaking...at that time you can check your gear lash on a the rear diff and make sure it is shimmed properly. I recommend the aluminum diff inserts.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

see, I know nothing about what you are saying. But I can search and figure it out.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

One thing when you put your ARO in the glow inlet an put it on the starter box to move it through the engine Try not to look down the hole as once the starter box kicks It will sprey everywhere (eyes too).
I learned that one the hard way along time ago and now take a step back.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dude go out and enjoy your buggy!!!!! I'm sure you'll be back on here to ask everyone what to do wen x,y, and z aren't working. After Run oil is a good tip but other than that the best thing is getting out and running at a track or with some other local guy that would give you the time of day. Don't try and wrack your mind over setups and diff oils and shock oils. all of the people learned on here by running, breaking, fixing and repeating that a million times. As far as setups, you're gonna have to find out how the car feels to you and then go in a certain direction, changing ANYTHING on the car without knowing what direction or goal you are trying to achieve will tell you nothing and cause you a major headache. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Well I used to race 1/10 and 1/12 carpet, and 1/10 offroad, all electric. So I know about setup and basic stuff, it's the nitro aspect that is new to me.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=jabo5779;9544122]Dude go out and enjoy your buggy!!!!! I'm sure you'll be back on here to ask everyone what to do wen x,y, and z aren't working. After Run oil is a good tip but other than that the best thing is getting out and running at a track or with some other local guy that would give you the time of day. Don't try and wrack your mind over setups and diff oils and shock oils. all of the people learned on here by running, breaking, fixing and repeating that a million times. As far as setups, you're gonna have to find out how the car feels to you and then go in a certain direction, changing ANYTHING on the car without knowing what direction or goal you are trying to achieve will tell you nothing and cause you a major headache. GOOD LUCK![/QUOTE

+1.Very well said!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.