Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines >

Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines

Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines

Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines

I was wondering if there was a decent offroad (10th 4wd nitro buggy?) car out there that used the PS style cranks (iirc that is what the long onroad style cranks are called), rear exhaust, that also uses a slide carb out of the box. I am hoping to find a basher car that I can use to break in my nitro tc engines without having to go to a track (where I live I can't really run touring cars except at the track). The Asc gt2 uses the proper crank but is designed around a rotary carb. Any ideas would be great. I have looked a bit but haven't found anything that would work without tons of mods.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

so ya "not" talking about the sg crank ya talking about the short crank .. i was gunna say the JAMMIN crt.5 1/12 truggy is wat ya want but it uses the sg crank . that .12 engine is slide carb , pullstart and rear exhaust .

i have a losi xxx-nt that runs a slide carb and rear exhaust plus a touring car header and pipe .. setting up the slide carb is very easy you just have to turn the carb slightly and it will work with the right linkages .
Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

what about buying a break in stand instead of a basher car?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
what about buying a break in stand instead of a basher car?
I have a break in stand. But even with a break in stand it still takes more fuel to properly runnin an engine. The stand just eliminates most of the grunt work.

Originally Posted by sly6t
i have a losi xxx-nt that runs a slide carb and rear exhaust plus a touring car header and pipe .. setting up the slide carb is very easy you just have to turn the carb slightly and it will work with the right linkages .
I have a xxx nt and the crank style is wrong for touring car engines. My NT has m5 x0.8 threaded crank.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would bet anything you have enough spare parts to build a basher TC and use it for just this purpose...dig through that parts box and get to building
Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

well my xxxnt has a jammin .12 "SG" crank engine , i was gunna buy a sts on-rd race .12 but already had this one . .. all i did was buy a set of .12-.18 smallblock adjustable engine mounts from ebay . i run a traxxas revo flywheel and clutch bell "which is 32pitch same as the xxxnt" . move the engine back on the mounts to where ya want it , only 2 holes in the chassis slots will line up to mount it , bolt the 2 up , then drill and tap 2 more holes in the mounts through the chassis slots . so its like stock . with 4 mounting screws. the engine will sit out further but , for what u want it will be ok .
Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I would bet anything you have enough spare parts to build a basher TC and use it for just this purpose...dig through that parts box and get to building
lol, Problem is when I rebuild my Nitro touring cars I toss the parts that are old, or I hand them over to new guys that run my car. But most people run other cars. lol, so few good usable spares. Might pick up a nitro tc3 rally if I can find one. Just haven't found one to run.. I am one of the strange onroad ppl that doesn't like getting dirt etc in the drive belts / pullies cause they are a pita to clean.. and my "race" / "Practice" cars stay prepped and ready for regionals or nationals all the time lol. Price xray parts and you will see why lol.. If I had a pieca crap offroad car I wouldn't feel the need to make it perfect lol.

Originally Posted by sly6t
all i did was buy a set of .12-.18 smallblock adjustable engine mounts from ebay . i run a traxxas revo flywheel and clutch bell .
great idea, this looks like it will work well if no one has a basher idea other than this.

Happen to have a link to the company you bought the mount from?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

im in OZ and i did find them 6months ago in OZ ebay .. cant find-em now but if i do il PM ya ... they look like these , but these are for the .21big blocks . dunno if they will still work prob not ..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OFNA-1705...#ht_1801wt_905

heres a pic of mine with the .12 SG and on-rd header and pipe .. as ya can see it does sit further out but it still handles fine .. its not the best pic to see how its mounted i can take another one if ya want close up .. i gunna buy a NINJA on road .12 pipe next for it ..

Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines-photo0083.jpg
Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines-photo0149.jpg

ok found a pic of what i bought them for and the engine on them ... a kart project i did .. heres what they look like ..
Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines-photo0036.jpg

Ideas for offroad car to break in .12 TC engines-photo0097.jpg
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Go to the manuals section on the Team associated web site and it tells you how to cut down the SG crank with a dremel to make it into PS style
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nitro Basher
Go to the manuals section on the Team associated web site and it tells you how to cut down the SG crank with a dremel to make it into PS style
but im pretty sure he needs the SG crank for his ON-RD cars , all he wants is a off roader to run in the engines .. so he cant cut down the crank ..
Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default adjustable mounts

found em bro !!!!

there the ones i got ..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-10-Univ...item3cbacfdfa1
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Ha thanks, but I am not cutting the cranks of my hand modified onroad engines lol..

Thanks for the link. Now does anyone have a good condition xxxnt to sell? lol