associated sc8 questions?? >

associated sc8 questions??

associated sc8 questions??

Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? associated sc8 questions??

Hi guys.

So I ordered a associated sc8 and haven't heard about any issues with it. I've tried and do reaserch about it and any up and coming issues?

I had a mugen mbx5t and got bored with it and started looking at a short course truck and came across the sc8 and loved the way it looks and handles. If anyone knows about any bad weak spots or upgrades I should do please let me know. Thanks all who reply.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Pretty tough truck out of the box since it is based on the RC8 and RC8T. About the only thing I've seen break on more than one was the front bumper. T-Bone Racing makes a good replacement. Most of us did upgrade to billet aluminum steering blocks, aluminum front top plate and the chassis braces before we started running them, but a couple of the guys still have some of the stock parts and are working fine.

The stock motor is alright, just expect about 4 gallons or so and it will be done. You probably will want to replace the stock exhaust. A good air cleaner would be a good upgrade, most of us have the big 1/8 scale Motorsaver air cleaner since there is plenty of room for it. Oh, and get a spare fuel tank(it's the one for the RC8T), there have been plenty of issues with those right out of the box.

Phil
Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

+1 on the fuel tank i have an sc8 and think they are a blast you will love it...But i do disagree on the motor...In my opionion take the truck out of the box pull the motor out and throw it in the garbage,and put something better in...Just my opinion...
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Thanks you two.

Two questions. What where you guys talking about the gas tank for? Is there something wrong with the stockers?

Last question. What is the motor like? Is it easy tl start and matain a good tune and hows the power? Why would I only get 4 gallons threw it? I plain on only running O'Donnell 20% threw it. Thanks again for the quick response..
Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Just run it and enjoy and replace/upgrade as necessary. Keep an eye out for a deal on some RC8B Big Bore shocks and the alu top-plate.

Eventually - as with all RTR's - [/PHP]some better, faster, stronger servos would be a huge plus.. For ex. 2x Savox 1258's..

IMO a 17T CB will give you more speed without sacrificing anything down low.. Unless you just really want to drift all the time..

A 2035 pipe is cheap and a worthwhile upgrade at some point.

The only real potential breakage point with the SC8 and RC8 is the upper front arms, especially the right it seems in my case. If you take a hard hit it might give.. So as far as spares to have on hand, I would have front upper arms for starters.

Again though, it's a tough truck, and you can run it stock for starters and just have fun and see what happens and after you've run it a bit see what you think.. No real absolute musts right away..

Ran mine the other day indoor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBUR8XVsZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3306iVGwr0
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Never broke upper front arm I have RC8 and SC8. Breakage came from running them in the cold but they have long since then upgraded the material.

There is video of us all playing on the track we don't even need marshalls LOL. Goto youtube search for Farmerphil22
Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

The Asociated fuel tanks have gone through about 3 design changes due to failures, guess it depends when your truck was actually put together. A year and a half ago when several of us got ours, 2 right out of the box were broken. I have since seen another couple fail, usually a split at the seam. Just get an extra in case, and replace it if you see it sucking air. One person actually fitted a mugen tank with minor modifications to the mounts.

As for the motors, I had good luck with the tune and pretty much left it alone through the life of the motor. Some others haven't been as lucky I guess. It is a cheap carb. Changing the pipe made a major difference in the motor, personally, I feel it is decent for the truck. Definitely not a $300 motor. Expect about 4 gallons for its life span, and then decide if you want something more.

Phil
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Speaking strictly of life-span, four gallons is probably quite a bit short, unless you're running at 300F all the time.. I haven't run one yet(sold mine new out of the truck..), but have heard on MGT forums that they can last a good while.. I get eight gallons easily out of Mach 427's, LRP Spec 3's, and the other SH-built Taiwanese engines.. The TT 28 is from a different factory, but I don't see why it should only last four gallons. Again, unless you're abusing it..
Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Speaking strictly of life-span, four gallons is probably quite a bit short, unless you're running at 300F all the time.. I haven't run one yet(sold mine new out of the truck..), but have heard on MGT forums that they can last a good while.. I get eight gallons easily out of Mach 427's, LRP Spec 3's, and the other SH-built Taiwanese engines.. The TT 28 is from a different factory, but I don't see why it should only last four gallons. Again, unless you're abusing it..
Thanks man.

I though four gollens was kinda short for that motor. I'll be fine with 7 or 8 gollens on that motor. Because by then summer will be over.

I still have a few weeks left until I get it. Thanks to all you guys for the help and comment's. I'm looking forward to getting this sc truck and getting her on the track.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Subscribing.... I just got mine not to long ago.... was easy to tune. I love the way it brings a good scale feel.... if you have had experience with nitro you deff wont have any problems....
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TIZAO
Subscribing.... I just got mine not to long ago.... was easy to tune. I love the way it brings a good scale feel.... if you have had experience with nitro you deff wont have any problems....
Thanks.

I definitely should not have a problem since I owned my old losi xxl for over a year .
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Thanks man.

I though four gollens was kinda short for that motor. I'll be fine with 7 or 8 gollens on that motor. Because by then summer will be over.

I still have a few weeks left until I get it. Thanks to all you guys for the help and comment's. I'm looking forward to getting this sc truck and getting her on the track.
I guess you can take the word of somebody that hasn't ran one of these motors as he stated, or somebody that has run and has been around the life of about 6 of these in these SC8's--I'm telling you, about 4 gallons, all of them. One that was just over 3 gallons, mine has about 4 1/2+ through it. It may continue to run after that long, but you will start having trouble keeping it going after about 3/4 of a tank, especially idling for any period of time. They don't have a lot of pinch out of the box, and the compression at about the 4 gallon mark, isn't much left. Yes, mine still ran when I pulled it out. No, it wasn't worth the effort for a motor that would die out of the blue for the last gallon(especially if you plan on racing it). And yes, my motor was never ran hot--

Sorry and good luck--

Phil
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by farmerphil22
I guess you can take the word of somebody that hasn't ran one of these motors as he stated, or somebody that has run and has been around the life of about 6 of these in these SC8's--I'm telling you, about 4 gallons, all of them. One that was just over 3 gallons, mine has about 4 1/2+ through it. It may continue to run after that long, but you will start having trouble keeping it going after about 3/4 of a tank, especially idling for any period of time. They don't have a lot of pinch out of the box, and the compression at about the 4 gallon mark, isn't much left. Yes, mine still ran when I pulled it out. No, it wasn't worth the effort for a motor that would die out of the blue for the last gallon(especially if you plan on racing it). And yes, my motor was never ran hot--

Sorry and good luck--

Phil
few guys at the track have them here, and thats about right, 3 to 4 gallons is about it for the stock motor, most of them put in .21 v-specs and used a bump box.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Seen plenty of VSPEC's die before three gallons when the rod lets go...

Point is, how you take care of an engine has a lot to do with how long it lives. And honestly, with the possible exception of the Hot Bodies .26..., most engines should have a lifespan of at least 6-8 gallons before needing a rebuild, pinch, rod or whatever. I had researched the TT 28 before selling mine, and only sold it cuz I already had too many engines - not because it has a rep as being a POS. Not the most powerful or revviest, sure..., but I simply don't believe it's an automatic 3-and-out engine.., and think it's misleading to tell people thinking of getting an SC8 that it is.

Fair enough.. I never ran mine, but I did a lot of research before getting my SC8, and never heard that the engine was such a POS that it would only last 3-4 gallons*. Same with ST-1 forums, RC8 and RC8T RTR, etc.. I don't know - maybe I am wrong.. 3-4 gallons is very little though..

* Not that I haven't been led astray in forums before though - cough cough, Hyper Mini ST, Ofna DM-1, etc...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 08-04-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Isn't misleading to tell someone they can get 7-8 gallons through it when you have no 1st experience? Then say we are abusing it thats why it is getting only 3-4 gallons through it. Anyone who think RTR engine or servo's will last are out of there mind. Stock engine is decent engine for the price of it no was saying it was POS.

OS v-spec change there rod because of the stress of break in and high performance. But many of your high end motors change the rods out early in life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.