Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)
Lightbulb OFNA Buggies

Hey everybody. I have been in electric racing for a couple of years. I would like to try my hand at a nitro 1/8 scale buggy. I have seen two kits by OFNA that may fit my tight budget. They Ofna Pico Edition and Ofna Hyper 7 Black edition.
-I primarily club race. Is one of these better than the other for that?
-What do I need to buy for starting? I looked at the instructions and it not clear what they come with and what I need to buy. Glow plug heater, starter box, both, what?!?
-What Hyper buggy version is the Pico based off of?
What do you think of these buggies. I am not interested in spending an arm and a leg for a Losi or AE. It seems a good driver doesn't really need the most expensive kit. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its really worth it to get the Losi 2.0 RTR

great car and comes with everything, it'll be hard to find parts for those old OFNA cars at the track too
Old 07-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, I wouldn't bother unless you can save up for the Losi 2.0 RTR. It really is an impressive RTR.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+3 on the Losi, especially if you even think about putting it on a track
Old 07-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slashracer
Hey everybody. I have been in electric racing for a couple of years. I would like to try my hand at a nitro 1/8 scale buggy. I have seen two kits by OFNA that may fit my tight budget. They Ofna Pico Edition and Ofna Hyper 7 Black edition.
-I primarily club race. Is one of these better than the other for that?
-What do I need to buy for starting? I looked at the instructions and it not clear what they come with and what I need to buy. Glow plug heater, starter box, both, what?!?
-What Hyper buggy version is the Pico based off of?
What do you think of these buggies. I am not interested in spending an arm and a leg for a Losi or AE. It seems a good driver doesn't really need the most expensive kit. Thanks!
Ive ran the Hyper 7 TQ Black before, it is very impressive for a $300 buggy! just to get going you'll need glow ignitor, fuel and some batteries for the TQ Black. Keep your options open, surely this will turn into losi +100000 thread very soon.

Tyler
Old 07-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Out of those 2 Get the Hyper 7. It is a proven performer.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Wow. I can't believe the Losi is getting such praise and the OFNA is getting hammered. I guess it may be best to save up my pennies for the Losi. Is the Losi even better than the AE RC8. I always think of AE stuff being the top dog. Maybe I'm wrong. If I am going to save up, how does the Losi 8ight-E compare to the nitro model. This seems to be the trend for 1/8 scale.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Yall do realize not everyone can afford a Losi or wants to spend the money on one, right? I could afford a Losi, but the price, in my opinion, is much to high for a toy. So, it is Hyper 7 Black for me!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Don't fall to all the Losi hype, it lost WORLDS to a buggy that costs half as much. The hyper is a preformer, parts ar cheap and good quality, everytime some1 asks about a buggy the slosi guys always try to ram there brand down your throat.. he said out of those two buggys, I didn't see losi as an option.. the slosi crowd is enuff to keep me away
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

You aren't paying for the buggy difference so much as for the other items that are included.

DX3S radio is actually a good radio... $249.99 on A-Main
This part is somewhat "negotiable." The cheap AM radios that come with RTRs don't have all the functions of a "good" radio... AND you have to worrry about frequency conflicts with others on the same channel. The DX3S is 2.4 ghz spread spectrum... no conflicts, no worries, period! AND, it has all the functions you will ever need. (Exponential being one of the big ones.) Your choice...

You get a receiver pack (1400 mah pack) $16.99 on A-Main. No buying AA batteries every time you want to run for half an hour... (you can buy batteries or a receiver pack... either way you'll spend at least that much.)

Starter box: Those range from $69.99 to $100+
A pull start is not only frustrating to use, they are prone to failure. You're going to spend this much either way eventually.

So... you aren't asking if the buggy is worth $400 more, you are asking if the buggy is worth $35-$65 more. The answer is yes, absolutely.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm going to try and be fair. I do not, will not run, have not, any Losi. BUT!!!! Right now you can't beat the deal on their RTR. If I was realy wanting to start in 1/8 nitro it is the way to go. And I had a TQ Black, was a good 'chine, but after i got all the stuff to run good the ole lady like to shit her pants. Just save some more and look around, sweet talk your LHS and nail down the Losi. BTW you'd be suprised how many hobby shops do layaway.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I completely agree, but still even tho that is one hell of a deal, that's out of the give price range. I never will bash the losi jus there fan boys, slosi (all in good fun) did raise the bar of race ready rtr's but we don't need it rammed down our throats whenever the opportunity arrises.

I vote the Hyper 7, the picco buggy is based off the ravenger buggy I believe, or if u can find an 8/8.5 rtr for a good price
Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Lord

Actually the Picco is based on the Violator..any of the Hyper series or the Jammin buggy from Ofna are good for a beginner race/bash buggy..All the others are not built for a track, the ride is too high and it will not handle the way you need it too
Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Ok. More great feedback. I think I am back to a Hyper 7. Like I said I have already run electric for a couple of years. I already own a Spektrum radio that I would be using in the buggy. I agree the price on the Losi RTR is good for what you get, it is still high. Knowing I can get the TQ Black for $269 and I already have a Spektrum radio, AMB transponder, I go back to my original questions. I still believe the driver is a more important factor than the car. Until I can consistently get around the track with my times all being within a half a second of each other a buggy set up for the track, not bashing, is all I want and need. This hobby is supposed to be about fun. I don't know about you guys but my track takes my money, it doesn't give any back for a good result. Anyway...

-Besides the Hyper 7, what exactly will I need? Fuel, started box, etc.

I already know I will be getting a NiMH reciever pack in stead of buying a ton of AAs.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Get the bumpstart backplate for the engine..I am not sure if it comes with the Hyper .21 engine or a macstar.

get a good starter box..

get a steering servo that has at least 200 OZ. in torque and move the steering servo included to the throttle

Get 2-4 extra glowplugs
It will come with a "good enough" glow ignitor, but you should upgrade sometime down the line to a rechargeable one.

You should get 2 1600+ MAH RX packs, and a decent pack charger..

Extra air filter foams..

After run and air filter oil

Diff oil, buy 5000 WGT, 7000 wgt, and 3000WGT..5 front, 7 center, and 3 rear...I think the Hyper comes with grease filled diffs and you want to change that..grease is for bashing..Diff oil is for racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.