Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC Pro Insurance Play on Words

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RC Pro Insurance Play on Words

So your membership for RC Pro gives you insurance, but only for if your car hits a spectator. Not if you are marshalling and get hit by another driver. I find this really odd, but thought that everyone should know what they are getting into too. Please let me know what you guy think. I was always under the impression that the reason that the race fees are so much is because of insurance.

Here is a reply with the names blocked.

Hello,

David is in Iowa this week attending a race and asked me to respond to your email.

First, I want to say that we are extremely happy your son has made a full recovery. He is a very nice young man and it was a pleasure for David to meet him.

This is the first correspondence we have received from you regarding the incident with your son. I’m not sure what you mean about Chris and Colton not having received information from us. They have not requested any information that we are aware of to date.

Your son purchased a weekend membership for the event at Dirtburners track. Coupled with the membership, we insure our members under our insurance policy in the event a spectator is injured or property damage occurs to a spectator’s property. We and our insurance policy require that all racers be members of RC Pro to race at one of our sanctioned events due to the spectator insurance coverage we provide.

You will need to look to the track for coverage under any insurance they may carry as our policy will not provide coverage for injuries to participants. Our Liability Insurance is structured to cover RC Pro members as additional insured’s or members under our policy to protect them in the event their RC car comes off the track and strikes a spectator causing bodily injury or property damage. The policy we had in place at the time of this event does not provide participant coverage. This is much like any sporting event, for example NASCAR. If a racer or participant is injured because of his negligence, the negligence of another, or a simple racing accident, they are not covered or excluded under the sanctioning body’s insurance for injuries sustained while participating in a racing contest. They assume the risk of the sport at the time they enter the event.

Again, I would contact the track to see how you should proceed to file a claim with their insurance company. I have made our insurance agent aware of your correspondence so he can be available to answer any questions that may arise. I am going to contact Dirtburners to find out who their insurance agent is so I can pass that information along to mine and to you. I don’t believe David was able to find out that information the weekend this occurred.

Please let David or me know if you have any questions. We wish you and your son the very best and hope he continues to race. This is a wonderful sport and it is nice to see children and young adults take part in R/C racing.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Technically, hes still a spectator. But one way or another, thats wrong, and I hope the RC Pro Series stands behind it.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Prophet

i agree man thats bs only if a spectater gets hurt really

they know what can happen.

Last edited by tc5 man; 07-24-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Taken from the FAQ page on the RC Pro website:

Q: Does the RC Pro Series provide liability insurance coverage for all RC Pro members?

A: Yes, the cost of your membership includes liability insurance at all RC Pro sanctioned events

Kinda leading you into some false security. It should be relabeld as "Spectator Insurance" instead of "Liability Insurance".

When you signup to be an RCPro member you should be handed a copy of the insurance policy or at least a detailed explination of your rights and coverage under it. Not only to cover the racers backside but also RCPro.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Time to get a lawyer....this could be the end of RC Pro if they don't figure their stuff out....deliberately misleading us for what the fees are for...

Good luck....let us know.how this turns out
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Liability implys if you hit someone or something. Not if you are hit yourself. But I do believe this to be a proper and legal discription on their site. That said it is probably worded like that for the purpose of you thinking you are covered!

Good way for them/insurance to make money. Most tracks are surrounded by a fence or wall of some sort. So it is 99% more likely the injured will be a pit man or a marshal hit in the head or leg. So they have chosen a policy that will cover in my opinion less than 1/2 of 1 percent of any accadents that accrue at an RC Event.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juice1
Taken from the FAQ page on the RC Pro website:

Q: Does the RC Pro Series provide liability insurance coverage for all RC Pro members?

A: Yes, the cost of your membership includes liability insurance at all RC Pro sanctioned events

Kinda leading you into some false security. It should be relabeld as "Spectator Insurance" instead of "Liability Insurance".

When you signup to be an RCPro member you should be handed a copy of the insurance policy or at least a detailed explination of your rights and coverage under it. Not only to cover the racers backside but also RCPro.
How is the term "liability insurance" misleading?

I'm suprised that more if not all R/C tracks don't require that you sign a waiver upon registeration. I can't remember the last time I went to a stock car race or moto x race that you didn't sign a waiver(accepting the possiblity of inherient danger of participating or spectating at the event).

DB is a non-profit so I know they are required to carry insurance...

Brad S, you just took a trip to the ER from an accident at Dirtburners, who's paying for your stitches?

Again, not trying to take sides. Really hard when you don't know the whole story. Insurance companies are right up there with the top crooks in the world anyway...lol Right behind Lawyers and just ahead of cell phone companies.

I would like to see how this comes out, because people like myself that operate tracks can learn from it.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No idea what happened here, but I would disagree that that is a play on words or anything like that. Liability insurance covers you if you hurt someone or damage something. Simple as that.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
No idea what happened here, but I would disagree that that is a play on words or anything like that. Liability insurance covers you if you hurt someone or damage something. Simple as that.
Right, and the driver in this incident should be covered under this liability policy, plain and simple. He or she purchased an membership, which "includes liability insurance at all RC Pro sanctioned events". That is a blanket statement, and should cover the driver in case he or she hits someone. It doesn't distinguish between marshals or spectators.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wow this is how tracks get shut down.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Lord

Insurance language is just like any other, it had a specific meaning and purpose and it's not open for interputation. Compare the RC pro liability ins to our auto ins. Liability coverage on your car only coversthe other driver in the event that the accident is your fault. It does not cover you or your car. Seems straigt forward to me. Besides doset everyone have Obamma care anyway. Hahahaha (sorry about the political gesture). I think RC pro upheld their end of the contract with providing liability ins with respect to you. Now the driver of the car also had the same liability ins as you did so I would think RC pro would cover you as the car/ driver that caused the incident is clearly liable.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

The only problem I have is the fact that they ONLY cover spectators. Liability should cover ANYONE OR ANYTHING the driver would cause harm to. Marshal, pitman, camera man, ice cream man ect.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Lord

Depends on how spectator is defined. I would say a spectator is someone who is watching the race. Isn't a marshal watchig the race. I would think he's watching the race more than someone on the sidelines? He's not competing at that moment and he's not paid to do a job. So isn't the marshal a spectator too?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

If you guys want insurance that covers the marshals on the track you better be ready to pay $50 entry fee's for a club race.... That and tracks will start to shut down after one or two claims shoot their insurance rate thru the roof.

IMO your #1 priority when marshaling is your own safety. I am sure some people will disagree but I also do not feel kids should be out corner marshaling unless they are 16 or older. Sure some kids can get it done, but kids also tend to not think about consequences before acting.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta
If you guys want insurance that covers the marshals on the track you better be ready to pay $50 entry fee's for a club race.... That and tracks will start to shut down after one or two claims shoot their insurance rate thru the roof.

IMO your #1 priority when marshaling is your own safety. I am sure some people will disagree but I also do not feel kids should be out corner marshaling unless they are 16 or older. Sure some kids can get it done, but kids also tend to not think about consequences before acting.
+1 to no kids marshaling. Too easy to get hurt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.