Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Would you clean your car with wd40 >

Would you clean your car with wd40

Like Tree7Likes

Would you clean your car with wd40

Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

simple green then use Pledge makes the plastic look like new and leaves a lemon smell or better yet orange smell We have used this stuff for years you can clean your body with it too!!! Since you are using simple green which is water based you have to oil your bearings I use mobil 1 full syn 15-40 I put in a needle oiler that was suggested from avid rc works great.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I spray on Simple Green, let it soak for 5 to 10 minutes then spray it off with an air compressor. After that I spray on foaming tire shine, let that sit for 5 minutes then hit it with the air again. It gives you a nice shine and dirt/grease doesn't seem to stick to it as much.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I am just chiming in without reading the other posts. I have used simple green followed by wd40 for years with success. Then while we were locked down for the 2 weeks during covid. I was watching the videos that Jared Tebo was putting up at the time. He mentioned that he uses no cleaners on his cars, just brushes and rags. I thought I would give this a shot. I had just built a new kit. So from that point I cleaned with brushes and micro fiber rags. Call me crazy. It seemed that all my plastics on the car lasted longer. I been running the same platform for 5 years now so I know when its time to replace parts ie camber link ends, shock boots, arms, etc. I am convinced that using no cleaners is actually better. I feel that simple green, wd40, pledge just slowly attack or wear down the plastics. This is just my opinion.
mrreet2001 and Jaredf like this.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

I dont understand anyone's need to clean dirt film off of plastic parts/shock towers/shock threads etc. It serves no purpose, and you're wasting time and money and putting chemicals that degrade your components on your parts. Compressed air to blow off bearing faces/CV joints and anything hanging on that's literally all you need, unless you're rebuilding something or servicing bearings.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

I use compressed air 100 psi and carb cleaner after to get the rest.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some of you guys must not run on red clay that has had 5 bags of calcium put down on it. Brushes and rags won't touch the stuff.
token likes this.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

No, I don't use WD40 at all. I use Simple Green foam, blow off and hit with SC1 on race day to keep my car looking beautiful. Who likes wrenchin on a dirty car, in a dirty pit. Not this guy. #spotless. During full rebuilds, I remove everything, including bearings and give it a total wash down, simple green, water hose, brush and a compressor. Then hit it with SC1..... #Bling Pic is race day.
305M3 and Jaredf like this.

Last edited by token; 08-11-2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by token View Post
No, I don't use WD40 at all. I use Simple Green foam, blow off and hit with SC1 on race day to keep my car looking beautiful. Who likes wrenchin on a dirty car, in a dirty pit. Not this guy. #spotless. During full rebuilds, I remove everything, including bearings and give it a total wash down, simple green, water hose, brush and a compressor. Then hit it with SC1..... #Bling Pic is race day.

is this the simple green foam spray you use?

Simple Green All-Purpose Foaming Aerosol Cleaner, All-Purpose Cleaning and Degreasing, 20 oz. (Pack of 2) https://a.co/d/fVQPnhH
Old 08-11-2022, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Simple green and spray dry lubricant 👍🏻
Old 10-25-2022, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Im surprised no one is using the ceramic coating like the guy who bumped this 11+ year old thread.