Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Would you clean your car with wd40

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I personally use WD-40 on everything and it works great for me. I spray it on a dirty RC and blow it off, then I'll use some nitro cleaner to clean off the residue.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inertia
Would you use this to clean the plastics parts on your car, kalguard and simple green aren't available where i live.
Simple green not available?

Originally Posted by shesha
I used to wash down my rc stuff with wd40 and or simple green, blow it out with air, i can garantee u all u are doing is forcing dirt into the bearings and sealed places.
Instead use a bruah a moist towel and air takes maybe 5 more minutes to clean up but u will spend less time reinspecting ur bearings and worry aboit rust settling in.
About the only time i used water and simple green then wd40 is when the car gets mud bogged and in that case does not make a difference. Its wet in the first place.
I'm a believer in disassembling the car completely before washing the parts. I have a separate pile for plastic, screws, alloy, bearings, and electronics. This keeps dirt outta the bearings, and gets to all the places on the car where the dirt can hide.

Originally Posted by Sein
I used wd40 before, sprayed the truck down and wiped off access. The next day was a race and I kept losing screws. WD got in all the screw holes and they were vibrating out. Now I blow the truck off with air compressor, then wipe parts down with a damp cloth, and finally spray on a little pledge. Pledge is not oily like wd and it makes all your plastics look new again.
And it makes your car smell lemon fresh!

Originally Posted by John.
I was sceptical about the simple green / brush / hose down / WD40 and dry method too. But it works for me. No issues at all.
Don't forget to remove radio tray, engine, fuel tank, wheels and clean them separately.
I don't use a compressor either. I just feel it would push more crap further into all the nooks and crannies.

So in answer to your opening post. Use any form of detergent (car wash or dish wash is fine) to clean the car and plastics.
Use WD40 to prevent oxidation and lubricate. Getting WD on the plastics is safe in my experience.
I actually noticed a reduction in breakage on my B4. I was running carbon composite arms, and they would snap if you just looked at them wrong. A friend of mine asked me if I used WD40 on them, I said no. He explained the WD40 keeps the parts from drying out and getting brittle. After all, plastic is a petroleum based product. After treating the parts with WD40, the chalky dry look went away, and I saw a less breakage.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:31 PM
am
Tech Master

Wd40 also kill your servo leads and wires. We did use that alot a few years ago, but servo wires became hard and brittle. DO NOT USE WD40.

We are using something called Brunox, and that works awsome!!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've used WD40 for a couple years now with a brake cleaning gun that mechanics use to clean off brakes. Fill the can half full of WD40 and pressure it up to 100 lbs of air and works great !!. after that I blow it off with the air gun and wipe off any excess with a rag.. as far as attracting dirt, yes it does, but the dirt/ mud don't stick to the truck as bad, making for an easy clean after the next race. I too think it works as a conditioner on the plastics as it is an oil based product..
Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

WD (in WD 40) stands for water displacement. It does a really good job at that. BUT it is not a very good lubricant. If very dirty, chisel off the most, remove electrics, spray down and clean with soap and water, blow off (trying to not force water into CVDs and bearings, and then soak really well with WD 40 (everything), then, blow off again. You will need to re-lube bearings and CVDs. Has worked well for years. Have seen NO adverse effects to plastics. Or electrics for that matter. WD has been used for decades to "dry out" distributors and electronics. My $.02. -I buy WD by the gallon. I know a lot of boat guys love it for it's "WD" qualities.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Tech Regular

Default clean ride

i do a complete tear down of my nitro buggy and breaks its down into 3 section front ,center and rear i use a mix on simple green and water for cleaning all the dirt and grime off the chassis and the sectional parts using a wire cleaning brush to lossen up dried mud and what ever then blast with air i will spray the chassis and parts with wd-40 wipe off and allow to dry if any dirt or grease get on the car the next race it will not stick too bad that a short blast of air will not remove it makes for easier cleaning the next time also helps with spotting trouble in the drive train when ya do the break down you can check the bearings and arms and such for problems .......
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Tech Initiate

For plastic parts I use, most part of the time, a high quality diswashing liquid. It works great and you can do it at home in the kitchen safely... And it doesn't stink !

Sometimes, on track side for a race day, when I have an air compressor in the area, I use some GT85, a kind of teflon based spay I bought in England.
It give a good shine to my plastic parts without the greasy feel of the WD 40.

I use WD40 when the bearings don't move freely. Then I clean its with a brake cleaner, oil them with a light oil and regrease. If the bearing still have scratches, then it 's time to change it
Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroburnt
WD (in WD 40) stands for water displacement. It does a really good job at that. BUT it is not a very good lubricant. If very dirty, chisel off the most, remove electrics, spray down and clean with soap and water, blow off (trying to not force water into CVDs and bearings, and then soak really well with WD 40 (everything), then, blow off again. You will need to re-lube bearings and CVDs. Has worked well for years. Have seen NO adverse effects to plastics. Or electrics for that matter. WD has been used for decades to "dry out" distributors and electronics. My $.02. -I buy WD by the gallon. I know a lot of boat guys love it for it's "WD" qualities.
lol

yes wd 40 stands for water displacement #40

ie 40th recipe of the mix, and no you wrong about it not being a good lubricant its very good lubricant its major ingredient is FISH OIL yes that is right fish oil.

There are better lubricants out there, but i have used WD40 as a water displacement spray and lubricant many a time.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ratjayfala
I use the tears of a magical unicorn.
I get mine from the mystical elf
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by madac
I get mine from the mystical elf
I hear cheetah blood works wonders too... Also apparently it has this side effect of making your kit faster :P

Unfortunately my source ran dry and I can't seem to track down another one
Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OoD1S
lol

yes wd 40 stands for water displacement #40

ie 40th recipe of the mix, and no you wrong about it not being a good lubricant its very good lubricant its major ingredient is FISH OIL yes that is right fish oil.

There are better lubricants out there, but i have used WD40 as a water displacement spray and lubricant many a time.
WD40 does not contain fish oil.

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/
Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
8T
Tech Adept

I constantly get comments on how my truggy looks new, even though it's about 2 years old! What i do is a few day's after a race i take the radio tray and the motor out, take the front and rear suspension units off, take the shocks off, then spray the front and rear suspension, shocks and chassis with the center diff still in it, with straight simple green, wait about five minutes,then scrub it with a brush. Rinse everything off with water and spray everything with wd40. Blow as much off as i can, then wipe down with a terry cloth towel. Then i wipe the radio tray down with wd and give the motor and pipe a blast of carb cleaner, check for broken parts(never), bad bearings(never, but i replace my clutch bearings every other race) and re-assemble. Never have problems with screws comming loose, as a matter of fact, people ask if i ever do ANYTHING in the pits. Yes, clean my tires and body, fill with fuel and wait for the next heat or main! I must be doing something right because i very rarely do anything in the pits and i can't remember the last time i didn't win the overall expert truggy class championship at Hotrod Hobbies for the Saturday series, or had a dnf! I race every week! Been doing this routine for years! I did have a flame out once about a year and a half ago!

eta: i did break a belt on my stock losi starter box once!

Last edited by 8T; 08-07-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (94%+)

lol...
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Ya, that is the stuff!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

if you guys havent tried simple green industrial strength your missing out, stuff is ridiculous , 50/50 mix with water and an airhose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.