Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Buying a 2nd Buggy   Which sould i get Serpent or Xray? >

Buying a 2nd Buggy Which sould i get Serpent or Xray?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a 2nd Buggy Which sould i get Serpent or Xray?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Buying a 2nd Buggy Which sould i get Serpent or Xray?

Im a owner of a durango atm was thinkin of pickin up another buggy. Was thinkin a serpent or an xray, anyone own all 3 of theses or have any input for me. I've been reading all the forums and the both sound very nice. Was just hopin for some 1st hand experience
ty
Dnfdon
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I own the durango and the serpent 811 and right now I really like the serpent. My durango is going through a complete revamp with mods at the moment so I am driving the 811 for the mean time. Very good buggy but you do need some hopups for it. The buggy is very planted and stable.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

do you race? i don't see the point in having 2 different cars, with different characteristics, probably require different driving styles, 2 inventories of spare parts
Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have the Xray and my good friend has the 811. Both are great cars, built like tanks, handle great, and respond well to setup changes. My only complaint with the Serpent is I'm now realizing how often he has to change bearings. I don't know why, but it's hard on them. I wear bearings out before they give out on my Xray.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have not driven a serpent buggy(although I do own a serpent truggy), but I did own a Durango and The 2010 Xray 808. I ended up selling the Durango. This is not to say the durango isnt a good choice, but the two buggies have completely different handling characteristics. For me the xray just does everything perfect, really the only car i have driven that just feel right. The car feels so planted, jumps well and is an absolute tank. Besides bearing failures I have never broke a single part. The Durango on the other hand to me was far to loose. The buggy has huge potential it accelerates like no other out steers any buggy i have ever driven and jumpes really well, but no matter what i did it felt like the rear end was on ice. best thing to do is to try a wheel each car and make your own mind.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

x-ray
Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigmatt
x-ray
+1
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

xray, especially the 2011 model, no problems at all with the new drivetrain.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tanggenyo
do you race? i don't see the point in having 2 different cars, with different characteristics, probably require different driving styles, 2 inventories of spare parts
Valid point, but I do the opposite. I have built every car out there this year and now know for fact which one(s) are perfect for me.

I have narrowed it down to 6 cars so far
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devnull
Valid point, but I do the opposite. I have built every car out there this year and now know for fact which one(s) are perfect for me.

Whats your top 6 in order....
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Originally Posted by devnull

He isn't kidding, he has had them all.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by transplantlife
Whats your top 6 in order....
PM sent brutha!

Originally Posted by hlpressley

He isn't kidding, he has had them all.
You know me too well dude. I am a sick person hehe.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I have had the 2010 Xray, Durango, and now have the serpent. The xray was the best quality and fit by far, handling was ok. Not sure about the 2011. The Durango was nice to work on, and handled great, just too loose in the rear. I now own the serpent and it's been the best driving buggy and extremely durable. The weak point on the serpent is the tranny. Under heavy braking, you can hear the gears skip. But some proper shimming and adjustments fixes that!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by teeforb
I have had the 2010 Xray, Durango, and now have the serpent. The xray was the best quality and fit by far, handling was ok. Not sure about the 2011. The Durango was nice to work on, and handled great, just too loose in the rear. I now own the serpent and it's been the best driving buggy and extremely durable. The weak point on the serpent is the tranny. Under heavy braking, you can hear the gears skip. But some proper shimming and adjustments fixes that!
Theres nothing wrong with the transmission on the Serpent. Like on all Serpent cars it takes knowledge to build them correctly and I wouldnt want it any other way. I really hope they dont change it to the traditional style.

XRAY are very easy to put together as the parts fit is unmatched in the business. Cant say anything about the handling as they arent very popular around here.

Durango is... well it looks great but thats about it. That and the JQ car is probably the last cars Id ever buy.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lilja
Theres nothing wrong with the transmission on the Serpent. Like on all Serpent cars it takes knowledge to build them correctly and I wouldnt want it any other way. I really hope they dont change it to the traditional style.

XRAY are very easy to put together as the parts fit is unmatched in the business. Cant say anything about the handling as they arent very popular around here.

Durango is... well it looks great but thats about it. That and the JQ car is probably the last cars Id ever buy.
sorry bro, but i have to disagree! I have had three serpents and all three have skipped gears under hard braking. I have also read various folks with the same issue. But like i said, you can do some extra modifications (shim the pinion in the tranny) and shim the diffs and for the most part, problem solved. Also, serpent's recommendation on the plastic nuts are a joke as well!

I have put together both 2010 xray and serpent and in my opinion, the xray finish was better. However, the serpent is up to par. The bottom line is how the car drive and i say serpent all the way on all three cars!

=teeforb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.