R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Wanting to get back into RC with Losi 8B 2.0 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/530304-wanting-get-back-into-rc-losi-8b-2-0-a.html)

Jeff K. 07-06-2011 07:19 PM

Wanting to get back into RC with Losi 8B 2.0

I've been itching to get back into RC, after having sold all my 1/10 electric stuff over 3 years ago. I figure Nitro will be cheaper in the long run, after costs of batteries, chargers, dischargers, balancers, etc.

Basically only info I have on nitro is from reading up online and in manuals of various kits to see tuning guides, so RTR will probably be a good place for me to start, and I'll get better engine and servos when they need upgrading.

I was stuck on the 810 for a while, since it was cheaper and I wasn't sure if I would actually stick to it and come out to race, but the more I thought about it, the extra $200 is really worth it for the 8ight 2.0 package. Between the buggy and truggy, which would you guys recommend for durability and driveability? I used to run the TC4, B4, and XX-4, so I'm leaning more towards the buggy, but I've been hearing that the truggy is more forgiving for driving.

What else would you guys recommend for getting the most out of the 8B RTR and what other tools are good to have?

Thanks in advance.

token 07-07-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by StOnEfAn527 (Post 9354849)
I've been itching to get back into RC, after having sold all my 1/10 electric stuff over 3 years ago. I figure Nitro will be cheaper in the long run, after costs of batteries, chargers, dischargers, balancers, etc.

Basically only info I have on nitro is from reading up online and in manuals of various kits to see tuning guides, so RTR will probably be a good place for me to start, and I'll get better engine and servos when they need upgrading.

I was stuck on the 810 for a while, since it was cheaper and I wasn't sure if I would actually stick to it and come out to race, but the more I thought about it, the extra $200 is really worth it for the 8ight 2.0 package. Between the buggy and truggy, which would you guys recommend for durability and driveability? I used to run the TC4, B4, and XX-4, so I'm leaning more towards the buggy, but I've been hearing that the truggy is more forgiving for driving.

What else would you guys recommend for getting the most out of the 8B RTR and what other tools are good to have?

Thanks in advance.

I dont think nitro is cheaper at all since the introduction of lipo and brushless motors. No more discharging.

Both the buggy and truggy are good. My personal experience: I brought the truggy and raced it for 4 years. It was great and I THOUGHT I could drive. Well this year, Im running buggy too and lets just say I cant drive it for crap. I believe that if you want to learn to drive, really learn to drive, get the buggy. If your just going out to have fun at the track, then a truggy is good. Yes its WAY more forgiving.

Buy a good set of tools and forget about it. oh a small electric driver will work wonders.

Jeff K. 07-11-2011 10:18 PM

Picked up the RTR, build quality looks good, picking up fuel tomorrow, and will start break in. What servos would you guys recommend to upgrade to when the time comes? I'm planning on running O'donnell 20% fuel, and already picked up after run oil. Anything else that I am forgetting/any tips or advice for break in that you guys have?

Thanks

sdtech58 07-12-2011 12:20 PM

For steering servo, go with something that has well over 200 oz/in torque rating @ 6V. You can get away with less, but IMHO more is better. I personally use a JR9100T for steering on my 8B, but there are a number of good brands out there.

About anything will work for throttle. The faster the better!! The more torque you have will give you more consistent and powerful braking power.

If I were you, I would buy a good steering servo right away and use the RTR steering servo on throttle.

Jeff K. 07-13-2011 03:52 PM

Thanks, I will probably look into upgrading the throttle servo to Z9100s and for steering, I saw that there is the DS8711 that for the same price as Z9100t, has 403 oz-in vs 370 oz-in, and the same speed. Will the difference in current draw be noticeable?

How would this combo compare to Hitec 7955 on steering and 7940 on throttle? The hitec duo would be cheaper, and have faster throttle.

devnull 07-13-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by token (Post 9356775)
I dont think nitro is cheaper at all since the introduction of lipo and brushless motors. No more discharging.

Both the buggy and truggy are good. My personal experience: I brought the truggy and raced it for 4 years. It was great and I THOUGHT I could drive. Well this year, Im running buggy too and lets just say I cant drive it for crap. I believe that if you want to learn to drive, really learn to drive, get the buggy. If your just going out to have fun at the track, then a truggy is good. Yes its WAY more forgiving.

Buy a good set of tools and forget about it. oh a small electric driver will work wonders.

+1, on every point. Well said.

Your gonna love the losi...