Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi brake disc issue >

Losi brake disc issue

Losi brake disc issue

Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Default Losi brake disc issue

A couple of weeks ago i installed the updated losi brake discs on my 8T 2.0. Last Saturday my front brakes would not release when when i got back on the gas. I backed the caliper screws out so the fronts weren't working and the problem went away(a long with braking power!). Just took the center diff out and the front disc has what looks like 2 spots that are blistered/ delaminating! It looks like a bulge and material is missing in these 2 spots. Any clue to why this is happening?

tia
Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sounds to me like you may have got a faulty part.?.(happens sometimes)
I've never had or heard of this issue before with the losi break discs (the black ones) de-laminating.
So it might be an idea to contact losi or take them back to were you baught them from and show them. im sure you will get a replacement.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Your brake caliber is sticking on the back side of the brake pad. Change the bads and I bet you problem will go away.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Also make sure you adjust the gap in your pads correctly. The black discs will need a larger gap than the older fiber discs. The gap should be 8mm between the center diff mount and the head of the screw(not between the pads!).
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM
8T
Tech Adept

I changed the pads and screws when i put the new discs on. I also added .5mm to adjust for the thicker discs. Never seen anything like this! I'm going to replace everything and see what happens. What do you guy's think of pad return springs! I've seen the answer, ofna, pen springs, and the losi shock springs(xx4 i think)?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

i use the answer rc springs. they work great!! also check and make sure your brake acuator lever isn't worn down to far. i had mine wear out and the brakes would stick no mater what i did.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Make sure the screws holding down the top plate aren't over tight causing binding to. Also the break cam can wear into the plate and cause it to stick.