R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   New Guy Needs Help !! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/528581-new-guy-needs-help.html)

SPARKY426 06-30-2011 08:50 PM

New Guy Needs Help !!
 
Hi everyone !! Recently bought and built an Ofna Hyper ST Pro kit. Also bought an Ofna Force .28 motor for it. Set everything up using my 15+ year old Futaba PCM radio and got some Sidewinder 20% fuel with 16% oil and have both MC59 and OS8 plugs. First time I started it up, it took a bunch of tugs to get it going, but it started and I ran 2 tanks around my house. Put a little After Run in and put it away. About 5 days later, tried to start it for about an hour, wouldn't kick. Finally pull start rope broke. Ordered a shaft start system for it and tried again. Nothing. Finally, after checking carb. and a few other things, fired up in the kitchen(wife was pissed....LOL). Was late at night, so waited till morning....NOTHING!! just kept turning over. Tried again tonight...same thing. I have checked everything....tried different plugs...made sure ni-starter was charged....tried high needle at 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 turns out...low speed is flush as per recommendations. I have been away for many years, but certainly not new to this. Had several nitro cars in the 90's...still have a Turbo Inferno with an OS motor. This thing started and ran well first time....nothing since....fuel is getting to carb...plug is hot.....HELP!!!!!

Thanks, Chris

808gx7r 06-30-2011 08:54 PM


Originally Posted by SPARKY426 (Post 9330186)
Hi everyone !! Recently bought and built an Ofna Hyper ST Pro kit. Also bought an Ofna Force .28 motor for it. Set everything up using my 15+ year old Futaba PCM radio and got some Sidewinder 20% fuel with 16% oil and have both MC59 and OS8 plugs. First time I started it up, it took a bunch of tugs to get it going, but it started and I ran 2 tanks around my house. Put a little After Run in and put it away. About 5 days later, tried to start it for about an hour, wouldn't kick. Finally pull start rope broke. Ordered a shaft start system for it and tried again. Nothing. Finally, after checking carb. and a few other things, fired up in the kitchen(wife was pissed....LOL). Was late at night, so waited till morning....NOTHING!! just kept turning over. Tried again tonight...same thing. I have checked everything....tried different plugs...made sure ni-starter was charged....tried high needle at 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 turns out...low speed is flush as per recommendations. I have been away for many years, but certainly not new to this. Had several nitro cars in the 90's...still have a Turbo Inferno with an OS motor. This thing started and ran well first time....nothing since....fuel is getting to carb...plug is hot.....HELP!!!!!

Thanks, Chris

fully charge your ignitor and try again. try giving it a little throttle input to help it

got_nitro 06-30-2011 08:57 PM

You have a new engine with tons of pinch, you can try to heat it up with a heat gun or a hair dryer first. Next try opening the idle gap or idle screw just a bit.

inferno13 06-30-2011 08:58 PM

new engine with a pull start or roto start is a pain in the a$$, try heating before starting

portyansky 06-30-2011 08:59 PM

Being a new engine and using a fuel with such a high oil content, and your needles most likely being in a rich setting is all contributing to your frustrations. It is very hard to give help over the net, but i would try turning your idle up a bit till you got it broken in. But keep an eye (ear) to it if it starts to rev really high, then lower it a bit. Also dont be scared to lean out the top end needle a little to get it over 200 deg during brake in.

SPARKY426 06-30-2011 09:12 PM

I have tried adding a little trim to the throttle while trying to start it. I am using a cordless drill to try and start it....do I maybe need something that will turn it over faster? Not too sure what heating it up with a hair dryer will do. Should I just get a starter box?? I have read some mixed reviews on this engine....any thoughts?? And thanks for all the quick responses!!! Think I'm gonna like it here !!

808gx7r 06-30-2011 09:47 PM


Originally Posted by SPARKY426 (Post 9330307)
I have tried adding a little trim to the throttle while trying to start it. I am using a cordless drill to try and start it....do I maybe need something that will turn it over faster? Not too sure what heating it up with a hair dryer will do. Should I just get a starter box?? I have read some mixed reviews on this engine....any thoughts?? And thanks for all the quick responses!!! Think I'm gonna like it here !!

starter box's are easy, just a pain to carry around. a heat gun will heat up the internals(aim it at the case, not the cooling head) and make it easyer to turn over(start)

got_nitro 07-01-2011 05:00 AM


Originally Posted by SPARKY426 (Post 9330307)
I have tried adding a little trim to the throttle while trying to start it. I am using a cordless drill to try and start it....do I maybe need something that will turn it over faster? Not too sure what heating it up with a hair dryer will do. Should I just get a starter box?? I have read some mixed reviews on this engine....any thoughts?? And thanks for all the quick responses!!! Think I'm gonna like it here !!


Heating up the engine makes it loose and easier to fire. Yes, sometimes a drill does not have enough quick speed for the quick 1-2 second trigger pulls you need spin it fast enough to fire. To fire a nitro engine you need quick blips of the roto.

Even when you start it with a pull start, you need quick "small" tugs of the rip cord. Not long hard pulls like a lawn mower.:cool:

Locum51 07-01-2011 07:06 AM

You can start it with a pull start, the only thing that a starter box has over pull-starting is the torque. Other than that, it is kind of a P.I.T.A to lug around.

And yes a hairdryer will work fine. Just make sure that you set the piston to BDC everytime you stop cranking the motor or if your going to heat it up.

megrpirate 07-01-2011 08:00 AM

those engines are notorious for ruining pull starts. A mate bought the same setup as you and has gone through twice as much pullstart $$ compared the my starter box.

Get a starter box, it is the easiest way to kick over a fresh engine.
If you really want the ease of a pull start then once it has done a few tanks and loosened up you can go back to it.

SPARKY426 07-01-2011 08:05 PM

If I pull the tubing off the exhaust and blow into it to prime the engine, how easily should the fuel flow?? I tried with alot of force and it barely moves. I think I'm having trouble with fuel delivery. Does that make any sense??

portyansky 07-01-2011 08:15 PM


Originally Posted by SPARKY426 (Post 9334314)
If I pull the tubing off the exhaust and blow into it to prime the engine, how easily should the fuel flow?? I tried with alot of force and it barely moves. I think I'm having trouble with fuel delivery. Does that make any sense??

It should flow fairly easy. Put your needles back to factory settings and try again. Are you running a fuel filter? How old are your fuel lines and fuel?

got_nitro 07-01-2011 08:26 PM


Originally Posted by SPARKY426 (Post 9334314)
If I pull the tubing off the exhaust and blow into it to prime the engine, how easily should the fuel flow?? I tried with alot of force and it barely moves. I think I'm having trouble with fuel delivery. Does that make any sense??

Plug your exhaust stinger with your finger while you are trying to start it. That's how you prime the line. The carb sucks fuel and the line creates pressure in the tank to help it along. You should see the fuel move to the carb in about 2-3 seconds from the tank. If it does not move, check the fuel lid seal. The ring in seal can dry rot out making no seal.

Trugsta 07-01-2011 09:07 PM


Originally Posted by SPARKY426 (Post 9330307)
I have tried adding a little trim to the throttle while trying to start it. I am using a cordless drill to try and start it....do I maybe need something that will turn it over faster? Not too sure what heating it up with a hair dryer will do. Should I just get a starter box?? I have read some mixed reviews on this engine....any thoughts?? And thanks for all the quick responses!!! Think I'm gonna like it here !!

The heat from the hair dryer will free up the internal engine parts and I make it a law to always heat my engines to atleast 70c before I even attatch the glow starter.
Its just not good to start the engine when its cold as the piston/sleeve fit is extreemly tight and needs the heat to allow the sleeve to stretch alittle to allow the piston to reach its full stroke.
without the heat your piston basicly shaves the sleeve and you loose compression alot faster.
I'd defenetly charge your glow igniter then check your plug then check your fuel flow..
it might also be an idea to lean your bottom end a touch especially with the high oil content fule your using..

SPARKY426 07-01-2011 09:27 PM

OK....took the head, carb and fuel tank off. Cleaned any excess fuel from inside the engine, and took the carb apart to check it. Put everything back together and then blew through the exhaust tube, draining any fuel from the tank. I had just picked up a quart of Traxxas 20% fuel, so I put a little in my filler bottle, shook it around and drained it. I then filled the tank 1/4 way, shook it a bit and blew the fuel through the tubing and dumped it. Mounted the tank, filled with fresh fuel, the fuel flowed better, and...BAM...the S.O.B. started !! Now, let's see what happens in the AM...LOL.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!
Chris

P.S.....how would I use a hair dryer if I'm in the middle of a field?


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:25 PM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.8
Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.