Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Building Mah Kit >

Building Mah Kit

Building Mah Kit

Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Building Mah Kit

The instructions in my kit says to use grease on things like o-rings and bearings, and silicon oil on the gasket on the bottom of the bulk heads. But the kit DIDN'T COME WITH ANY?? Can I just use after run oil or a little bit of shock oil (It says silicon shock oil on the bottle), or do I have to go buy silicon oil and grease?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by Bo0m UR DEAD
The instructions in my kit says to use grease on things like o-rings and bearings, and silicon oil on the gasket on the bottom of the bulk heads. But the kit DIDN'T COME WITH ANY?? Can I just use after run oil or a little bit of shock oil (It says silicon shock oil on the bottle), or do I have to go buy silicon oil and grease?
id go and grease beacuse grease is gonna stay on the cvds ect
Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

go to the auto parts store and get you these 2 things

Fast drying graphite spray.

mobil one sythetic grease.

You do not want to put grease on cvd's, it attracts dirt. I spray my hinge pins, cvd's, pillow balls, joint cups, axles, drive shafts, servo saver post. I use mobil one on ring gears, orings, building my diffs, not much else really.

The 2 things i mentioned are cheap and work very well. You can even get the graphite powder (for key locks etc) and ground the ball ends of your drive shafts.

Another good thing to use is oddonnell lube, it's a wax lubricant that is dry in which case i would put the o'lube on the actual cvd and spray the inside of the joint with graphite spray along with the axle or universal joint cup.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
go to the auto parts store and get you these 2 things

Fast drying graphite spray.

mobil one sythetic grease.

You do not want to put grease on cvd's, it attracts dirt. I spray my hinge pins, cvd's, pillow balls, joint cups, axles, drive shafts, servo saver post. I use mobil one on ring gears, orings, building my diffs, not much else really.

The 2 things i mentioned are cheap and work very well. You can even get the graphite powder (for key locks etc) and ground the ball ends of your drive shafts.

Another good thing to use is oddonnell lube, it's a wax lubricant that is dry in which case i would put the o'lube on the actual cvd and spray the inside of the joint with graphite spray along with the axle or universal joint cup.
An alternative to the graphite is some stuff called Greased Lightning. You can find it at bike stores, and it's used to lubricate bike chains. Works awesome, dries, and doesn't attract dirt. +1 to not using grease in the cvds, only use grease on the diff outdrive cups in the little grease groove that gets inserted into the diff cup, and between the diff ring gear and pinion. Mobile 1 synthetic grease is awesome, a tub of it will last forever and is about $10 or less.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
An alternative to the graphite is some stuff called Greased Lightning. You can find it at bike stores, and it's used to lubricate bike chains. Works awesome, dries, and doesn't attract dirt. +1 to not using grease in the cvds, only use grease on the diff outdrive cups in the little grease groove that gets inserted into the diff cup, and between the diff ring gear and pinion. Mobile 1 synthetic grease is awesome, a tub of it will last forever and is about $10 or less.
sound's good. I need to get some. Always looking for better and different fluid/chemicals for my car. I just started wiping down with pledge after i completley clean everything. WOrks good.