Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen or Losi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Mugen or Losi?

Hi guys. I want to buy a new car for new season. And I really don't now which better - Mugen MBX6 or Losi 8ight 2.0? Thanks ;]
Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

mugen i have had for 2years and have not got parts other then bearings.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

I've ran mugen, Durango and now kyosho. The mugen is a really great car. Can't go wrong. Other guys I know run losi and really like it. Losi has more steering from what can see but mugen is stronger. I got to say, if you got the cash, go for the kyosho. Quality is second to none.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

there is no "better" buggy. try to drive both and see which one fits YOU best. personally i like Mugen, wouldnt want another buggy. Losi doesnt fit me and my driving style.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is like chevy vs ford.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Mugen

I always ran Kyosho, and as far back as the whatever the Mugen was before the mbx-5 and never really thought much of them. then I ran the Xray, its an awesome car and didn't want to change but my friend Joe garrett said, why don't you try the Mugen. Here is a used one, go race it. I rebuilt it and it was really nice...

Then I got a brand new one and I've had it for over a year and raced the snot out of it. I keep my cars like new and hate worn parts, guess what, this thing is awesome...

I have literally saved 100's of dollars racing this buggy....It's that good....

I keep checking the outdrives and cvd's and thinking what steel do they use, it's awesome.....I did replace the cvd pins in the center axles, but they were still good.

I bent the rear outer hinge pins on a huge quad. I mean huge....

The chassis got a little bent, but not bad, and with the new chassis with the long rear brace it stays perfect....

I just recently replaced the front center axle and cvd thingy. The chassis came with the rear and the front pin that rides in the center diff outdrive was worn, the losi would have been replaced 3 times by now...

The center diff is still perfect, the a arms are all original, so are the inner hinge pins, and even the bushings....I really can't believe it...

The shocks have never leaked or needed anything but oil and cap bushings and shock tower standoffs. try that on a losi.

The radio tray has nostripped screws.....Losi, nope...

The wing mount is not even bent, Losi hmmmm.

Oh tie rod ends, just as tight as when I took it out of the box not joking...

the a arms have the smallest ammount of movement on the hinge pims, they look beat up but don't need to be replaced.....

I just replaced the servo saver parts after over a year and it never failed me. It centered every time. My xray can't say that.....The fuel tank, perfect, I don't know what some guys are doing to theirs but no problems there...

The bumper was worn down ok 6 bucks....

original shock towers, losi, emmm no...

The clutch, Mugen has the best in the business....I replace those fairly often and the clutch bell does wear a little faster than other brands to be honest, but never had one strip....

Even the little plastic bushings in the hinge pin holders are still tight, it's amazing.....And the plastic rear toe in block is worn, but not sloppy....

The diff gears look like new, now I do clean my buggy fairly often....

The thing about the Mugen is you have to experiment with setups. the guys who sell it after two months learned nothing about tuning. It takes a bit of trial and error to make this car really fast, but once you find the sweet setup for ur driving style and you clean it reguarly, it will outlast any car i know of....

and another thing. Ho many revisions did they make on this car....very few....Mugen did it right......
Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by merdith6
I always ran Kyosho, and as far back as the whatever the Mugen was before the mbx-5 and never really thought much of them. then I ran the Xray, its an awesome car and didn't want to change but my friend Joe garrett said, why don't you try the Mugen. Here is a used one, go race it. I rebuilt it and it was really nice...

Then I got a brand new one and I've had it for over a year and raced the snot out of it. I keep my cars like new and hate worn parts, guess what, this thing is awesome...

I have literally saved 100's of dollars racing this buggy....It's that good....

I keep checking the outdrives and cvd's and thinking what steel do they use, it's awesome.....I did replace the cvd pins in the center axles, but they were still good.

I bent the rear outer hinge pins on a huge quad. I mean huge....

The chassis got a little bent, but not bad, and with the new chassis with the long rear brace it stays perfect....

I just recently replaced the front center axle and cvd thingy. The chassis came with the rear and the front pin that rides in the center diff outdrive was worn, the losi would have been replaced 3 times by now...

The center diff is still perfect, the a arms are all original, so are the inner hinge pins, and even the bushings....I really can't believe it...

The shocks have never leaked or needed anything but oil and cap bushings and shock tower standoffs. try that on a losi.

The radio tray has nostripped screws.....Losi, nope...

The wing mount is not even bent, Losi hmmmm.

Oh tie rod ends, just as tight as when I took it out of the box not joking...

the a arms have the smallest ammount of movement on the hinge pims, they look beat up but don't need to be replaced.....

I just replaced the servo saver parts after over a year and it never failed me. It centered every time. My xray can't say that.....The fuel tank, perfect, I don't know what some guys are doing to theirs but no problems there...

The bumper was worn down ok 6 bucks....

original shock towers, losi, emmm no...

The clutch, Mugen has the best in the business....I replace those fairly often and the clutch bell does wear a little faster than other brands to be honest, but never had one strip....

Even the little plastic bushings in the hinge pin holders are still tight, it's amazing.....And the plastic rear toe in block is worn, but not sloppy....

The diff gears look like new, now I do clean my buggy fairly often....

The thing about the Mugen is you have to experiment with setups. the guys who sell it after two months learned nothing about tuning. It takes a bit of trial and error to make this car really fast, but once you find the sweet setup for ur driving style and you clean it reguarly, it will outlast any car i know of....

and another thing. Ho many revisions did they make on this car....very few....Mugen did it right......

oh boy watch yourself the losi gods on here will get upset
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Unlike others I will not comment on a car I've never owned.

I say Losi, provided parts support is OK.

In the 5 years I've had cars from their 8ight line, I've never had any big mishaps.

Parts and bearings wear out, and a few broken parts from me being stupid. But no DNF's other than what was my own fault. That's what you get for not using locktite.

Yes, they are sloppy, they all are. Some claim Losi has more slop than other, I wouldn't know. It works for me.

I do know the center front axle wears faster than other buggies, but on the plus side it's the only one you have to keep an eye on regularly.

It does have some points to be aware of. For instance, the screws holding the towers to the bulkheads should be swopped for longer ones. They tend to loosen up over time, longer ones have more plastic to grab and never come loose.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

I had a friend who wanted to sell me his Losi and I borrowed it for a few weeks to try it out, he was really cool and I said i would rebuild it while I had it so it would be in better shape if i returned it.....

I have never worked on a car so much in my 20 years of racing, about three weeks later I returned it looking real pretty, soooooo, whatever......
Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

All new buggies can be very competetive.But they all have there problems.I've been in this hobby for 10 years and just recently switched to the losi brand.The parts support is awsome and you don't have to chase setups.I've ran the car almost every weekend since feburary and have only replaced 2 bearings and the front center driveshaft pin.Anyone that has a wear issue with this car probably doesn't know how to properly maintain them or just doesn't do it at all.The best thing to do when chosing a car is to look at what is most popular in your area because its never any fun to have to leave a race early because of lack of parts.Just don't let the internet racers chose the car thats right for you.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

if the tracks you race on are rough get the mugen. If the tracks are smooth and like blue groove get the losi
Old 06-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by merdith6
I had a friend who wanted to sell me his Losi and I borrowed it for a few weeks to try it out, he was really cool and I said i would rebuild it while I had it so it would be in better shape if i returned it.....

I have never worked on a car so much in my 20 years of racing, about three weeks later I returned it looking real pretty, soooooo, whatever......
Most definitely the driver(not meaning you :-) ). There is one driver over here who blows rear diffs about every race he does with his truggy. He is very hard on his equipment, and it shows.

I'm very gentle with my rigs, not that I baby them. But I take good care of them.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well you could buy a Mugen and chase the setup constantly or you could buy a Losi and be dialed in right out of the box.

In all honesty they are two of the best cars out there. I've run losi stuff for a long time now and can't help but laugh when people bash the parts wear on them. Parts wear out on any car. losi cars may get a bit sloppier than others, but they sure don't show it on the track. The way I look at it is a free car is a fast car. Losi cars only get better when they loosen up a bit. Yeah, the front center drive shaft wears out quickly, but the rest of the drivetrain lasts as long as any other. If you maintain it properly, it will treat you well for a long time.

Honestly for the price on the losi rollers right now, you can't beat it. And talk about easy to get the car dialed in.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Man I really love these types of threads......
Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Hey it's been civil so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.