Great Products!

Reply

Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 PM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (91)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,857
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default Great Products!

Just thought I'd share something here.

I just spent the last 6-8 hours prepping and gluing 24 buggy and truggy tires. Not a picnic. However, a few things I found made the job much easier:


Panther Tire Bands: These are well worth the money, and they should last forever. IMHO, they are much better than the JC tire bands, thanks to the nifty little tabs on the bands, which make positioning and moving them much easier.

Buggy: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...unting-Bands-4

Truggy/MT:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...unting-Bands-4


AKA tire glue is the bomb, but the little tubing that comes with it won't last as long as the glue-This will last you for many bottles of glue!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cator-Tubing-8


Putting holes in the tires is always a pain, believe me, I've been down that road... But if you have the right tool, it' a breeze and takes only a few seconds. This General Tools Leather punch is perfect, and can be found at Lowes, or ACE hardware. It even has adjustable punch sizes, and I personally use a slightly smaller hole for buggy vs. truggy.
http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_186508-56...nch&facetInfo=


I also got to glue up some new truggy subcultures on JC's elevated bead wheel, and it's the easiest tire I have ever glued. I really hope other companies follow suit with this mounting style.

And a well known tip for those of you who don't know, always rub down your tire's beads with rubbing alcohol. On some tires, the molding agent on the tires is clearly visible, but on others it isn't. This stuff will really weaken the strength of the glue bond, so make sure you thoroughly clean the bead with the alcohol and some paper towel. It's a time consuming task, but it's crucial to perfectly glued tires.

Just a side note, I attempted to use AKA's black medium grooved inserts for truggy in my Proline Caliber tires, and they don't work- They are too thick, and push the tires tread out way to much and this prevents the beads from seating fully. Perhaps this is because I'm using proline wheels. Anybody else have issues with them?

And another side note, I saw this nifty device on absolutehobbyz.com and decided to give it a try. It has potential, but with the recommended settings, it doesn't get the glue all the way down in the bead, and with some tinkering to fix that, it won't allow the bead to reseat itself properly after releasing the bead. Absolute Hobbyz guys, have any tips t share about getting it to work properly? It is a great idea, and would save a lot of time. I also think it will work best with very thin CA glue. Thanks

http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/produc...oducts_id=4072
Muggydude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 AM
  #2  
Tech Addict
 
jammin32j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake county
Posts: 633
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
Just thought I'd share something here.

I just spent the last 6-8 hours prepping and gluing 24 buggy and truggy tires. Not a picnic. However, a few things I found made the job much easier:


Panther Tire Bands: These are well worth the money, and they should last forever. IMHO, they are much better than the JC tire bands, thanks to the nifty little tabs on the bands, which make positioning and moving them much easier.

Buggy: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...unting-Bands-4

Truggy/MT:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...unting-Bands-4


AKA tire glue is the bomb, but the little tubing that comes with it won't last as long as the glue-This will last you for many bottles of glue!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cator-Tubing-8


Putting holes in the tires is always a pain, believe me, I've been down that road... But if you have the right tool, it' a breeze and takes only a few seconds. This General Tools Leather punch is perfect, and can be found at Lowes, or ACE hardware. It even has adjustable punch sizes, and I personally use a slightly smaller hole for buggy vs. truggy.
http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_186508-56...nch&facetInfo=


I also got to glue up some new truggy subcultures on JC's elevated bead wheel, and it's the easiest tire I have ever glued. I really hope other companies follow suit with this mounting style.

And a well known tip for those of you who don't know, always rub down your tire's beads with rubbing alcohol. On some tires, the molding agent on the tires is clearly visible, but on others it isn't. This stuff will really weaken the strength of the glue bond, so make sure you thoroughly clean the bead with the alcohol and some paper towel. It's a time consuming task, but it's crucial to perfectly glued tires.

Just a side note, I attempted to use AKA's black medium grooved inserts for truggy in my Proline Caliber tires, and they don't work- They are too thick, and push the tires tread out way to much and this prevents the beads from seating fully. Perhaps this is because I'm using proline wheels. Anybody else have issues with them?

And another side note, I saw this nifty device on absolutehobbyz.com and decided to give it a try. It has potential, but with the recommended settings, it doesn't get the glue all the way down in the bead, and with some tinkering to fix that, it won't allow the bead to reseat itself properly after releasing the bead. Absolute Hobbyz guys, have any tips t share about getting it to work properly? It is a great idea, and would save a lot of time. I also think it will work best with very thin CA glue. Thanks

http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/produc...oducts_id=4072
If you use the recommended settings and thin glue it works awesome. I have glued over 100 sets of tires with it and have had zero issues. It might not look like you are getting the glue all the way down to the bottom of the bead, but after the tire is worn out cut the tire off and you will be able to see that it is actually gluing all the way down.
jammin32j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 AM
  #3  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 176
Default +1

Originally Posted by jammin32j View Post
If you use the recommended settings and thin glue it works awesome. I have glued over 100 sets of tires with it and have had zero issues. It might not look like you are getting the glue all the way down to the bottom of the bead, but after the tire is worn out cut the tire off and you will be able to see that it is actually gluing all the way down.
+1
popsrocket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
  #4  
Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (91)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,857
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

So the recommended setting is seven holes down. For the lever things you push down, do you attach each one on the hole that is closer to the side of the lever? Or further away?
Muggydude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,875
Default

What do you need tires for?
token is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
  #6  
Tech Addict
 
jammin32j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake county
Posts: 633
Default

Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
So the recommended setting is seven holes down. For the lever things you push down, do you attach each one on the hole that is closer to the side of the lever? Or further away?
I use the one that is closer. The one that is farther away can be used for fine tuning if it is pulling the bead too far away from the rim.
jammin32j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,660
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by token View Post
What do you need tires for?
huh?
dreaux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 PM
  #8  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,875
Default

Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
huh?
Inside joke.........
token is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM
  #9  
Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (91)
 
Muggydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,857
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Muggydude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
 
Chris Peralta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,192
Default

I have one of those tire glue stations for sale... used only 2 times...... like new. Half price.
Chris Peralta is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service