R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   How many useless tires do you have? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/520715-how-many-useless-tires-do-you-have.html)

Jaz240 06-06-2011 11:45 AM

How many useless tires do you have?

I was wondering if I am the only one who has a hard time throwing out bald tires? Seems every 2-3 weeks I get another set of "street/engine break in" tires:D I must have 25 sets of tires for the street when I am checking set-ups or breaking in an engine..Is it a desease? I just cant throw em out!! :rolleyes:

mHOUPS 06-06-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 9217225)
I was wondering if I am the only one who has a hard time throwing out bald tires? Seems every 2-3 weeks I get another set of "street/engine break in" tires:D I must have 25 sets of tires for the street when I am checking set-ups or breaking in an engine..Is it a desease? I just cant throw em out!! :rolleyes:

It's not a desease, it's part of the R/C addiction!! Do you re-use your wheels & foams?

So*Cal AFDude 06-06-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mHOUPS (Post 9217265)
It's not a desease, it's part of the R/C addiction!! Do you re-use your wheels & foams?

yeah cut those bad boys open and use the foams and acetone the wheels!

Brian C 06-06-2011 11:58 AM

James, been there done that. Then I discovered acetone. Now I have a pile of wheels ready for new rubber, a trashcan full of torn up cheap inserts and a bunch of outdated black AKA foams.

neobart 06-06-2011 12:22 PM

I just ditch the tires when they're done, I run electric only so no need for run in tires.

And the fact that I can't glue a tire to save my life is also a factor.

Frank L 06-06-2011 12:37 PM

I just gave a huge box to a buddy of mine and the damm cabinet is still full of tires that I prob will never use again. About 4 months ago I filled the garbage can with used tires. I keep them for awhile and then toss them. IDK why I bother keeping them, I'm just going to run a new set anyway.

Jaz240 06-06-2011 12:41 PM

I will cut out the good foams and re-use them, but some of the pre-mounts I used had foams that I have no desire to use again. Re-using wheels is something I will only do if they look great. No scratches, cracks, embedded dirt, etc. I think I have every tire on a shelf that didnt have any salvageable parts since 1999 :D

rcgeezer 06-06-2011 12:50 PM

You're right, it's a disease...but one that many of us suffer from. :nod::nod:

Brian C 06-06-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 9217442)
I just gave a huge box to a buddy of mine and the damm cabinet is still full of tires that I prob will never use again. About 4 months ago I filled the garbage can with used tires. I keep them for awhile and then toss them. IDK why I bother keeping them, I'm just going to run a new set anyway.

Hello sir this is the EPA, we'd like to have a few words with you regarding your waste practices.:lol:

Whenever you need some space Frank lmk, I'm a rim recycling fool!

Revooooooo 06-06-2011 02:47 PM

I for one can't stand taking the time to unglue a set of tires to try and reuse the rims. Cutoff the tire for me, use the foam if its good and throw the rest away. Such a waste of time for me to unglue, clean and reglue. Rims are only $15 bucks a set for AKA EVO's anyhow. At least they are in Japan.:nod:

inferno13 06-06-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Revooooooo (Post 9217970)
I for one can't stand taking the time to unglue a set of tires to try and reuse the rims. Cutoff the tire for me, use the foam if its good and throw the rest away. Such a waste of time for me to unglue, clean and reglue. Rims are only $15 bucks a set for AKA EVO's anyhow. At least they are in Japan.:nod:

same here, i dont have any crappy tires laying around, but have tons of wheels (truggy 0 offset) that are in excellent shape, im just to lazy to clean them up and reuse, so i just buy new ones:D

Frank L 06-06-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Babygrand48 (Post 9217533)
Hello sir this is the EPA, we'd like to have a few words with you regarding your waste practices.:lol:

Whenever you need some space Frank lmk, I'm a rim recycling fool!

Man 4 different cans yellow green brown and a greasy pizza box is the same as the cut lawn but I cant put a 1/2 full coke can in the recycle and who knows whats soppose to go in the actual all other waste can. Man it goes in the one that has room. HAHAHA

And I thought EPA was for end point adjustment :cool: But I will remember the recycling fool part. J/K

blade954 06-06-2011 03:36 PM

Same as what has been said... Acetone them but i have a heap of black AKA foams for Truggy and Buggy... I still use the black inserts as i purchase tires only when i buy and find the black insert better the second time round, But now the red foam is out I'm starting to get a box of them too....

Tony Newland 06-06-2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Babygrand48 (Post 9217291)
James, been there done that. Then I discovered acetone. Now I have a pile of wheels ready for new rubber, a trashcan full of torn up cheap inserts and a bunch of outdated black AKA foams.

Send them babies this way.... reds are waaaaay too soft out here

losi_racer 06-06-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Newland (Post 9218195)
Send them babies this way.... reds are waaaaay too soft out here

lol, last week i just tossed prob 15 sets out of the black foams :sweat: