Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Truggy or buggy to start offroad racing with? >

Truggy or buggy to start offroad racing with?

Truggy or buggy to start offroad racing with?

Old 05-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Truggy or buggy to start offroad racing with?

Hi guys,

first ever RC offroader. Now I'm looking for some opinions from you guys who've been driving a bit.

Is it better to start off with a truggy as they're more durable and don't break as quickly as buggys if a beginner is trying himself offroad? Not quite sure and it might a stiupid question but this has to be answered first before I decide what and how much.

Any help and opinions is hugely appreciated! Thank you all and hello
Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotwheelz
Hi guys,

first ever RC offroader. Now I'm looking for some opinions from you guys who've been driving a bit.

Is it better to start off with a truggy as they're more durable and don't break as quickly as buggys if a beginner is trying himself offroad? Not quite sure and it might a stiupid question but this has to be answered first before I decide what and how much.

Most buggies and truggies are equally durable, so one won't be a better choice over the other for that reason..

Go to you Local Track, find out what everyone else is running, how the car or truck you like best is set up, and go from there. I would recommend a Buggy for your first because they are typically a bit cheaper, as are the parts for them.. Good luck and have fun with what ever you choose.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Truggys are more setup forgiving, ie easier to drive.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i would say start with truggy, not because of durability because buggy and truggy are quite even. after all, except from longer chassis and suspension arms, they are usually built from the same platform. i say truggy because they are a bit easier to drive, more forgiving. but scottym has a point, buggys are a bit cheaper to race... tires for example are cheaper on a buggy.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

there seem to be a lot of Mugen, Losi and Hong Nor drivers. Some AE drivers for buggys and no Mugen but some Losis. Looks with a tendency to truggys. However I've always fancied a buggy.

Bet it's then down to my own preference. Just don't want to spent such a huge amount of money at the moment as I want to start small and get used to it before I dash out some more money before I upgrade.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Prophet

i, would start with truggy but than again it depends on where you live at and what shows up the most at your track .

do you want a roller, kit , or a rtr ?

in, my exprience though runiing both buggy and truggy i would say truggy is easyier to setup and not as sensative and you can drive the truggys harder insend of just point and shoot driving with some buggys .

yea, the tires are more for truggy but they last longer for sure but that depends on what kind of dirt you run on also .
Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Buggies are more challenging to drive, which I think means more fun. Plus tires are cheaper. There are also more buggies to choose from at the moment.

Truggies look cooler, but IMO buggies are more exciting to drive..

Get whatever your gut says to...
Old 05-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

People say tires are cheaper for buggy which is true, but the last longer on the truggys.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

I say start out with a buggy... like hyper 7... just my 2 cents
Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Don't start with truggy. You will learn bad habits and not become as skilled as a driver. Instead of being able to learn skills to keep the car on rails, you will rely on the forgivingness of the truggy. Learn with buggy, and get a truggy down the line.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Prophet

socal : i, always thought the same thing but when the track gets rough the light weight buggys are a handfull to drive espially for a beginner if you ask me.

the heavyer buggys arent probley.

but, yes it does make you to be smoother on the throttle and drive smoother thats what translated to me driving a truggy even know i should drive my truggy harder lol.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I often wonder the same thing buggy or truggie, many good points. I think buggies are more of an old school racer
Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 AM
Tech Rookie

@tc5 man
Well I don't mind a kit but if I found a relatively good RTR I wouldn't mind taking that and start out getting used to offroad driving. 80% prebuild is ok as well. Don't mind working on a car so actually it doesn't really matter to me.

@Herrsavage
Well my gut tells me to get both but no funds to do so

@So*Cal AFDude Well I like a challenge but after watching some videos on youtube I understand what tc5 man is saying.

What I'll be doing now is chose the buggy.

The next question is obviously what my price range is and what I intend to do with it in the foreseeable future. The answer to that is just driving as much as possible without any ambitions to be a road block at a race. So as Hong Nor, Mugen, Losi, AE etc. are raced as well as some Jammin I think and no issues were reported with parts availability I'd say the choice is mine. As mentioned earlier on I just decided to go the buggy route.

I've also checked some RTRs and apart from the Losi 8ight 2.0 the rest of the RTRs the equipment in some looks okish. The Hong Nor CRX1 looks sweet. Looking for some reviews on here or on the web. Mugen MBX6 looks nice but is probably two leagues too high for a newbie.

The Losi looks nice but I don't want to buy imperial tools in case I race Mugen or any cars later that use metric. Then again perhaps someone could prove me wrong?

Will be spending some time searching the board and the web but your input is appreciated despite the fact that this question might have been asked 20,000,000 times.

Thanks all!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotwheelz
Hi guys,

-truggy is easier to drive than buggy, also easier to overdrive causing lots of "bumping" from other drivers

-truggy tires cost more but last longer than buggy tires, they are also less critical. so 2 different good sets of soft truggy tires will be as capable and durable as 5 different sets of buggy tires.

-buggy racing is a lot more intricate with everyone driving on the edge, close to wrecking at any point, smoothest driver usually does better than a faster sloppy driver

-truggy needs less turn marshalling

-if you drive a buggy for a while it makes a truggy seem like a cadillac

-clutch shoes wear a bit faster in truggy
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Truggy is fun but there are far to many search and destroy type drivers around where I drive to let it stay fun. Buggy is cleaner and will help you develop driving skills faster as well as keep the bad habits away. If you do start with a buggy realize it is more setup sensitive. Your best bet is stay with factory setup while you are learning to keep the car neutral. I personally find it cheaper to drive buggy between maintenance, tires, parts, and fuel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.