R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   what all will i need to race 1/8th buggy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/513769-what-all-will-i-need-race-1-8th-buggy.html)

bbboi98 05-15-2011 08:33 PM

what all will i need to race 1/8th buggy

well i have a rc8 factory team buggy with a lot of spare parts nice engine and servos. but what all do i need to race far as tools how many sets of wheels. what can i have some advice please on everything i will need for the summer.

thanks

Show871 05-15-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by bbboi98 (Post 9116997)
well i have a rc8 factory team buggy with a lot of spare parts nice engine and servos. but what all do i need to race far as tools how many sets of wheels. what can i have some advice please on everything i will need for the summer.

thanks

Plenty of disposable income is a must

hogmansp 05-15-2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by bbboi98 (Post 9116997)

thanks

If you have everything you need to run it around the yard you should be good to go out to the track and see if you like it. Most tracks seem to ask you to have a personal transponder these days but pick a practice day and head to the track. Your best source for info on your area's track will be from the guy's at the track. Don't be shy most everyone likes to help everyone out.

bbboi98 05-15-2011 09:11 PM

yeah i know so is my local hobby shop is a great help but i see these pictures and when i went to practice at the track they had a lot of stuff tools and other type of things for thier buggys

death 2 hacks 05-15-2011 11:14 PM

well if your looking for an quick anwser it would be

tools: all the tools to completly diss and re assemble your car usualy you can get away with a set of hex drivers and clutch stuff but some tools u can do with out but make a world of diffrence just talk to people at ur track and hobby shop.

enough cash to cover broken parts fuel and tires

a bag to hold the car and tools is a must

and friends at ur track and hobby shop who know what there doing

dreaux 05-15-2011 11:41 PM

you would be surprised with what you can actually "get by" with. when i started i had cheap hex wrenchs with wire handles on the end. When they would start to strip i would just cut some of the end off. They can last as long as the mip and eds ones i have. A pit bag to put all his stuff in?:lol: First time i showed up at a track it was all in a box, no fancy amenities needed.

I had a superbrain charger that was like 30$ 1 set of tires, couple air filters, zero clutch tools and 1 battery pack for rx/tx each, shock oil, diff oil.

and i raced like this for a long time. Now i have everything under the sun but most of it is not nessecary, especially for someone like you.

people will give you a list a mile long, but i would bet you don't need half of it.

you could probably get a very good race setup for about 1100$

D8 350$
airtronics mx-3x 175$
werks b5 200$
werks 2058/2013 100$
superbrain charger 40$
starter box 100$
glo ignitor 20$
dynamite tools 35$
savox servos 70$ x2
reciever battery 30$
fuel 30$
fuel bottle
temp gun 20$

thats it. buy parts as they break, sucks but you have to do what you can to save money when you start out. Temp gun is even optional but i feel it's a must. Alot of that can be bought for cheeper around here or ebay. You can save alot of money.

merdith6 05-15-2011 11:53 PM

Yep

and you may already have more stuuf than you realize. Wire cutters, needle nose plies, a good channelock pliers for the flywheel, superglue, small-medium screwdrivers, metric sockets, nut driver, small file, sandpaper, oil, grease, calipers, xacto blades...Double sided tape....then after building up your box with the stuff you already have, then fill in the voids with specific tools...Like flywheel puller, Hex wrench sets 1.5, 2.0, 2.5... Charge leads of different types. Extra glow ignitor because those dissapear....Tuning screwdriver...Extra servos, a arms, small drill with drill bits, dremel with cutting disks, sanding drums, wire wheels, Wd 40, soldering iron, deans plugs..Different sizes of washers and shims and screws that actually fit ur car....It may take time to find out what sizes you need more often....Especially engine mount screws, and small 2.0mm head screws that strip out sometimes...You don't have to buy the most expensive stuff, jut lots of little things that add up.....

bbboi98 05-16-2011 05:46 AM

aw thank you very much everyone. so just have the tools to fix my car and the things to keep it in shape that what your saying

Bus 05-16-2011 06:46 AM

MONEY MONEY MONEY........MONEY! Play that tune in your head :-)

First year dont be shy ask lots of questions. Nitro is a beast that is hard to tame. Learn from the guys who have been doing it.

AZRC4Me 05-16-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bus (Post 9118476)
MONEY MONEY MONEY........MONEY! Play that tune in your head :-)

First year dont be shy ask lots of questions. Nitro is a beast that is hard to tame. Learn from the guys who have been doing it.

+1-A fat wallet certainly helps.

I would say besides tools/equipment, have an open mind. There's guys at every track who talk like they know everything and don't know squat. Take everything you hear/read with a grain of salt and decide what's best for you. The beauty of this hobby/sport is that there are more than a few right ways to get things accomplished. Oh, and have fun, this is supposed to be fun after all.

sdtech58 05-16-2011 08:39 PM

I agree with AZRC4me. Just have fun with it!!! I know some guys that totally tear down their rides after every race day and sometimes between heats. I can't tell you the last time I had my car completely apart. I fix things when they break, and visually inspect a few areas and tighten a few screws after every run, and that's it. That's just an example.

Some guys have to have the latest and greatest of everything, and that's another fun part of the hobby. I personally race on a tight budget and take pride in making things last longer than others say they should.

You just gotta find what works for you and keep an open mind.

dreaux 05-16-2011 08:41 PM

i am telling you, the race director did not like seeing me. Because i had no transponder and they had to hand time me:D