Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy, Truggy, SC, or Monster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Buggy, Truggy, SC, or Monster?

Okay, before we get a bunch of "it's a matter of personal preference" responses (which I totally understand and generally agree with), let me say that I'd sincerely like the opinions of those more experienced than myself in the nitro truck world (which is probably most of you ). The final decision, of course, will be based on a number of factors - this being one.

I'm looking for an 1/8 scale basher to handle grass, dirt, sand, and generally whatever. I've currently got a RC10GT2 that I'm having a ton of fun with, but I'd like to step up to something larger and heavier with more power to it. I don't plan on racing it (although that's not to say I'll never consider it - just not in the immediate future), and mostly want to have some fun with it.

I'm more attracted to the SC (like the Associated SC8) mostly due to appearance and general cool factor, but I'm not sure how well that's going to do as an all-around basher. I know the MT (like a Savage X 4.6) will handle just about any terrain I throw at it, but I just don't have that great an affinity towards the MT style. I know buggies are mostly regarded highly as racing rigs, but again, not sure how well they're going to work as a good basher.

What are your thoughts? I'd rather not go down an expensive (and misguided) road if I can learn from the experiences of those who have gone before me.

Thanks!

-Brian
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

most quality rc can handle it. My opinion would be a truggy since you donlt really want a MT. The 8ight holds up pretty well, the d8t as well. I would stay away from models with carbon fiber towers and such.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

I have an SC8 and kind of regret it. It sucks on the track anyway. For going up and down the road I guess it's Ok.. I had the RC8T truggy and RC8 buggy, and they were both great. In general, if you want more bashing and all-around capability, I would say truggy. Though for racing on tracks I like buggy best - faster and more nimble, thus more challenging and exhilerating. For racing truggy tires are too expensive.. For bashing though, no biggy.. - get some Badlands...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

So should I assume that SC trucks aren't ideal for general bashing?

In all honesty, if that's the case, I think I'm going to turn my attention back to the MTs. I'm not a big fan of the truggies (and they're a little close to the stadium trucks like the GT2 I already have - I'd like to try something a little different with this purchase) and probably would prefer the MT between the two.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think for bashing monster trucks are the best. The sc trucks dont really have a lot of ground clearance to them and smaller wheels so I don't think they would fly through grass and jump on curves real easily like a lot of backyard bashers do. I think the truggy would sort of be the best of both worlds, but if you don't like them than pass on them. I have had quite a bit of moster trucks and all have their own redeeming qualities. I would probably point you in the direction of the T-Maxx or Savage for bashing. The Savage is probably the toughest of them all. T-Maxx maybe a little more nimble or even a Revo with some hop-ups.

It really depends on what you will be doing your "bashing" on?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mjealey
I think for bashing monster trucks are the best. The sc trucks dont really have a lot of ground clearance to them and smaller wheels so I don't think they would fly through grass and jump on curves real easily like a lot of backyard bashers do. I think the truggy would sort of be the best of both worlds, but if you don't like them than pass on them. I have had quite a bit of moster trucks and all have their own redeeming qualities. I would probably point you in the direction of the T-Maxx or Savage for bashing. The Savage is probably the toughest of them all. T-Maxx maybe a little more nimble or even a Revo with some hop-ups.

It really depends on what you will be doing your "bashing" on?
It's tough to say - I live in SW Florida, so there's a lot of dirt/sand/grass to be had. For the most part my GT2 has no problems with any of it, until I get it into the weeds a little, and then it gets hung up. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm thinking Savage X 4.6 or MGT 4.6 (the Associated has a much more attractive price point, tbh, at almost a hundred dollars less). I'm assuming that both trucks are pretty tough and have similar performance, but I could be wrong there.

Last edited by 7kings; 05-03-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMHO the savage was a bitch to work on, the mgt is more basic, both have a zillion upgrades available, I would look into a gas powered truck as opposed to glow fuel, DONT buy a chineese copy
Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by goatbongoboy
IMHO the savage was a bitch to work on, the mgt is more basic, both have a zillion upgrades available, I would look into a gas powered truck as opposed to glow fuel, DONT buy a chineese copy
I'd love to get a gas powered truck, but they all seem to start around $1k, and I still want to stay married a little longer...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Prophet

it depends if your bashing and racing than a truggy is the best for that even though really a truggy is meant to be raced.

i would get the rc8t ce .
Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 7kings
I'd love to get a gas powered truck, but they all seem to start around $1k, and I still want to stay married a little longer...
They are around a $1k but they are cheaper than nitro in the long haul. Gas is only $4.00 a gallon and climing The parts are fairly comparable to nitro parts, and the engines last a long time as long as they are properly maintained. Just a thought
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jammin32j
They are around a $1k but they are cheaper than nitro in the long haul. Gas is only $4.00 a gallon and climing The parts are fairly comparable to nitro parts, and the engines last a long time as long as they are properly maintained. Just a thought
I assume you're talking about the HPI Baja. Quality wise, other brands are somewhat dicy and organized racing is usually restricted to the HPI models. So what parts are fairly comparible? They may look somewhat the same, but the price for common items is much higher. Also, I haven't seen a Baja that didn't need a rather large infusion of upgrades to keep from breaking. The other thing is, if any racing is in your future, watch out. Some tracks are routinely charging $55 for a single entry one day race. I don't see how they justify it, maybe it's by being the only game in town.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Honestly, a gas buggy isn't in my immediate future. Right now it's really a question of which 1/8 nitro vehicle will best suit my bashing needs. Perhaps one day I'll step up to an HPI 5x, but for now it looks like I'm probably going to land on a monster truck.

I think the big question I'm going to have to deal with right now is which MT to go with. It's feeling more and more like the top two contenders are the Savage X 4.6 and the Associated MGT 4.60, so I'm just going to need to figure out which is the better choice.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

If your dealing with grass a buggy and truggy aren't your best options as you stated.
I own an MGT 8.0 and Savage XL, the XL has been vastly more durable.
Both are basically the same as their 4.6 counterparts..
Savage XL FTW..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRuK978gJB8

MGT is cool... except when you break a suspension part almost everytime you drive it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhqgodBPIc
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

From my research and what I'm hearing about its durability (not to mention the vast popularity of the Savage X, which equates to a good spare parts and hop-up base), I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to just spend the extra $90 and go the HPI route.

Thanks for all the input, guys - it's been very helpful...

Time to go count the pennies... Anyone want to buy an NTC3?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Initiate

ANYTHING A MONSTER TRUCK WILL DO A TRUGGY WILL DO. TRUGGY IS WAY EASIER TO WORK ON.TRUGGY IS MUCH MORE DURABLE TO. I HAVE HAD REVO TMAXX SAVAGE IF I HAD TO PICK REVO ALL DAY LONG. BUT I WOULD LOOK AT A TRUGGY FIRST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.