R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Short Course racer looking to get 1/8 nitro buggy but not sure which. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/509527-short-course-racer-looking-get-1-8-nitro-buggy-but-not-sure.html)

savannahmick 05-03-2011 03:14 AM

Short Course racer looking to get 1/8 nitro buggy but not sure which.

I have been racing short course trucks for a year and now I would like to get into 1/8 buggy racing. What are some good/durable/competive/rtr/affordable/ 1/8 scale nitro buggies? How is the Hyper series or should I just cough up extra cash and get a Losi 8 2.0 rtr or Assoc. rtr? Are the cheaper buggies competive or more for bashing? Thanks for any input!

ohh EPiC FAiL 05-03-2011 03:27 AM

cheaper buggies are cheaper for a reason. they might be durable, but most of them are fairly heavy. you're honestly best off to save up and get a good quality kit. the losi 8ight 2.0 RTR is probably about the best RTR you're gonna find IMO. just make sure to upgrade to the aluminum shock caps ASAP. you'll just wanna be ready to replace the servos cuz from what i hear they aren't all that great.

i actually built my 8ight 2.0 race roller by buying a used roller, bump box, and pipe, and a brand new engine and servos and i've only spend about $800 on it, which is barely more than the RTR costs and it has all the upgrades you really need. if you've got some experience with RC and are comfortable with troubleshooting, i say go the used route for a roller and just put new electronics and engine in it so that way you won't have to worry about fixing too much of what the previous owner may have screwed up.

DPowers 05-03-2011 06:29 AM

The Losi 2.0 rtr is a good buy everone keeps saying buy a kit why i dont know if you cant drive you can spend $2000 on building one but that aint going to make you a better driver my son as been running his box stock with factory servos and has won the past to weekends in a row it could use faster servos but the ones that are in it are fine and the 350 motor runs really good with good fuel milage.

token 05-03-2011 10:16 AM

LOSI

1BLADE1 05-03-2011 07:04 PM

well i would have to say, 2 of the better ones are the Losi and the Mugen.....
Mugen series of cars this time around are allot like the Losi's, they really did there "Homework"
but over all for the better RTR..???
have to say would go to the Losi 2.0
it's a hrad deal to beat??
a "REALY GOOD Radio", 2.4 ghz Spektrum no less,and only reall big difference between the full blow race roller,and the RTR
is front and rear towers,even then no biggie really? but the Race roller ones are stronger,the RTR ones are "Stamped out"
shock caps,the RTR are plastic, and the chassis
other than that the race roller and the RTR are the same, same parts,same diffs,same shocks,just small things......

only thing i would get is the "Turbo head Conversion" for the RTR
and there about $15.00 for the Conversion
the motor,and to be honest? where i race at Revelation in California it's a pretty big track? and most of the guys that have the RTR's just change out the clutch for different springs and shoes and they right on par with some of the $400.00 motors for a Buggy !!!
they dont get the Greatest Mileage?
i mean it is still Really-really good !! bout 9 minutes on a tank? "Roughly" but were talking a $130.00-140.00 dollar motor that "Can Hang" with the supper motors!!
and once "Tuned" they are pretty good !!!

plus the Losi RTR comes with almost everything?
you get a "Starter box" !!! best part you dont have to "Figure out" to get it set up for your car !! install posts and DONE! it Fits ;)

you'll need a Glow igniter,batteries for controller and Batteries for the starter box,and not compleatly "Sure" but i think they now come with a Reciever pack?

myself "Personaly" if i was new and starting over?
would be a Mugen or a Losi, there both "Easier to Drive" or i should say there both very "Stable on the track"
the Associated ones are Great too, but you need to drive them on the "Edge" you either have to be SUPER SMOOTH,or drive then past "That Edge"
the Losi and Mugen, with there "Stock Set Up's" your 90% set for most any track...just get tires for "Your Track" :)

savannahmick 05-04-2011 02:36 AM

Thanks guys! The Losi rtr seems like the best place to start!

I hope I can get one here in the next couple months, but I still will race my SC10. Two wheel drive SCT are a great driver training class they are hard to drive. Thanks Again!

mgtmadness2007 05-04-2011 07:02 AM

SC8e rtr

sdtech58 05-04-2011 07:17 PM

Get the Losi RTR. Everything you need in one box. Also, there are bunches of these out there, so parts support and set-up help/advice should not be a problem anywhere.

Tcaputo 05-04-2011 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by DPowers (Post 9054664)
The Losi 2.0 rtr is a good buy everone keeps saying buy a kit why i dont know if you cant drive you can spend $2000 on building one but that aint going to make you a better driver my son as been running his box stock with factory servos and has won the past to weekends in a row it could use faster servos but the ones that are in it are fine and the 350 motor runs really good with good fuel milage.

Trust me you end up spending that money anyways RTR just seems cheaper

Tcaputo 05-04-2011 07:57 PM

That said the losi 8ight rtr is I think the best you can buy ... replace servos for real they will go out on ya ... also put a 4shoe clutch and with the turbo and re11 pipe that engine can really pur...

DPowers 05-04-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tcaputo (Post 9064074)
Trust me you end up spending that money anyways RTR just seems cheaper

Yeah i know i have 1200-1500 in mine but for a rtr its the best bang for the buck.

Tcaputo 05-04-2011 08:06 PM

Forgot to mention i have a Gs racing cl1 adv + pro kit for sale .. its 95 percent together great strong buggy .. and it has never ever been ran if you want to talk pm me I also have pics

oghobavo 05-04-2011 08:25 PM

Kit over RTR

I would actually have to disagree with going the rtr route, if you plan on racing often, you're better off buying a kit because more oftentimes than not you will be buying hopups/upgrades for the rtr that would normally come with the kit and you wind up spending more in the long run. Trust me, this is coming from a guy who has had an rtr before and knowing what i know now, i would have definitely never purchased the rtr and gone with a kit from jump. Just my two cents, happy racing fellas:nod:

larlev 05-04-2011 08:53 PM

Losi or Mugen mbx6....

I have been told the same as these guys are saying. Hard to beat the RTR Losi. Really hard. Not a fan of used stuff unless you can see it in person, or if you know the seller is honest.

merdith6 05-04-2011 09:33 PM

Well

If you really want an good car then get a Mugen MBX-6 mspec
It will outlast that losi 3x over...

And get a high quality engine that is inexpensive.....Nova n.21r 3 port is like 140 bucks great deal. Mated with a dynamite 053 mid pipe and header combo...best price....

and get the blue ofna starter box it won't burn up like the Losi box. It will cost a bit more to get quality stuff, but you don't have to get a 500 race engine and all the hop ups and 200 dollar servos, be reasonable and you can have a nice car that won't fall apart.....:lol: