Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Premium Cleaning Products for your car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In prepping for winter racing, I sprayed my rally car down with 3in1 Silicone Lubricant. It seemed to really help keep the snow from collecting....maybe it will do the same for dirt?

Kalgard...which product?

Simple Green.... is that just the car wash, or is there a different type?

Methyl... sounds dangerous... where can I get some?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Beddo
In the UK we dont have Simple Green (that I know of) but we do have Pledge, however, are you talking about the furniture polish, or am I thinking of the wrong thing?
Hey up Phil, I think Simple Green is the equivalent of one of our Cilit Bang products... probably the general purpose cleaner/degreaser product (purple bottle I think). I've used it before and it works OK, but I prefer Muc Off.

Have heard of the more picky using Pledge on their plastics before, I prefer GT85 myself (not WD40 though, as that leaves a tacky residue that attracts dirt).
Old 04-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

After 2 years of racing this is what I have found to work best for me. I have not tried everything, but very happy with my current procedures.

Between races full cleaning:

Take out fuel tank, engine and radio tray. spray chassis with simple green and let sit a few minutes to penetrate the dirt. Brush only where needed for those supper dirty spots. I then hose off the entire car with as much pressure as possible. Quickly dry it with an air compressor and spray WD-40 into all bearings. Blow off excess WD-40 and spray with Kalgard Prep and shine. Brush in/off prep and shine.

Plug up engine and spray with simple green and brush off. dry with air compressor.
Light spray of Kalgard degreaser on the radio tray and clean with toothbrush. wipe off with rag and then blow off with air compressor.
Fuel tank gets plugged up and washed in the sink with a brush and dish soap. Dry with air compressor.

Put it all back together and it looks brand new!

At the track between rounds I will spray my entire car (not air filter) with Kalgard degreaser and just brush and then blow off with Air compressor. The prep and shine keeps allot of the dirt from sticking and the degreaser gets the rest of it. Car looks right out of the box after every round and the degreaser has a mild lube in it to keep everything free and lubed..

Extensive testing has proved to me that these methods just work best for me.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
In prepping for winter racing, I sprayed my rally car down with 3in1 Silicone Lubricant. It seemed to really help keep the snow from collecting....maybe it will do the same for dirt?

Kalgard...which product?

Simple Green.... is that just the car wash, or is there a different type?

Methyl... sounds dangerous... where can I get some?
simple green is in a spray bottle. you can buy it by the gallon at WalMart for a spray bottle refill.

i just use simple green, water, then air then WD-40 then air again.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:38 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Amen brother. Sc1 is dialed !!
SC1 all day ...
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Depends on whats happened to your car....

Dry and dusty conditions... I just use pledge by itself.. you can spray it heavy and let it soak in and brush it off or use air.

Wet/muddy... I remove engine radio tray and soak with simple green and use the shower at whatever hotel we're at on full hot, then pledge to protect.

I never use WD40, holy moly no quicker way to goober up your hinge pins, rod ends and such after the first tank on the track, WD attracts dust and will glue itself anywhere WD ends up which is always in the pivots, right where you dont want any dirt to bind up.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theMagoo73
Hey up Phil, I think Simple Green is the equivalent of one of our Cilit Bang products... probably the general purpose cleaner/degreaser product (purple bottle I think). I've used it before and it works OK, but I prefer Muc Off.

Have heard of the more picky using Pledge on their plastics before, I prefer GT85 myself (not WD40 though, as that leaves a tacky residue that attracts dirt).
OMG, I read that first sentence too quickly and 'bout shot Pepsi out my nose... didn't see the first "i"

Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

if car is dusty,blow off with compressor and gt-85 to give it a nice shine.
if damp dirt and car is muddy then muck-off mountain bike cleaner,leave for 5 mins,rinse with water then gt-85.

of course this is for the UK.

then when i get home car gets full strip down
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
OMG, I read that first sentence too quickly and 'bout shot Pepsi out my nose... didn't see the first "i"

LOL...I did the exact same thing
Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Simple green mixed with Methyl hydrate alcohol for General purpose cleaning.

Kalgard for the rest.
Originally Posted by morkendi
I do the combo of simple green, denatured alcohol, and wd40 plus air. Hit with wd 40 again after. Every once in a while I pull the electronics, tank, and mill and break out the hose as well. I also have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner my mom had before she passed that I use alot.
What difference is there using Simple Green by itself compared to using either the Methyl hydrate alcohol or denatured alcohol??
Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I tried the Kalgard but am still on the fence about it. Normally when I clean, I really clean. I disassemble down to the bearings out and clean with dawn and water. In between cleanings I just use compressed air. Never liked getting bearings wet. They will last for quite a while although its more work. I just wipe the bearings off with a paper towel. Spray the motor down with denatured alcohol and use a tooth brush. Radio tray and servos I wipe down with a paper towel and simple green. If its stubborn(like the side of the throttle servo from a leaky diff), hit it with the alcohol and simple green, brush it and wipe it off.

I find the Kalgard does the same as wd40 after a few uses. I find with nothing sprayed back on, the dirt just blows off easier. I do agree Kalgard will make it easier to blow off in the beginning, but you get build up. I just clean more often.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I usually strip the vehicles down and even clean the screws and bearings and the rest of the vehicle with either Awesome, Simple Green, Denatured alcohol, soap and water, Brake Cleaners,and another cleaner that comes in a yellow bottle and sprays a foam cleaner. All theses cleaners I use are an (and/or) I use one or the other, or a combo of a couple of them.
I do not have an air compressor so I wipe everything off with rags and old towels. I also use Q-tips to clean into hard to reach areas and I also use tooth Brushes.
Cleaning like this takes a long time as I also do not have a work bench, or proper lighting.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by coaltrain
LOL...I did the exact same thing
My wife got a kick out of my initial reading of that post
Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For anybody using simple green, do yourself a favor and throw it away and start using this. It's cheaper and does alot better, leaves NO residue. I've used it for 2 years and will never give simple green another peak into my garage. Don't use just any "orange" cleaner I've tried many knock off's, but this specific porduct is the bomb.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_143137-1383-...ed%2Blightning
Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton

Doesn't look like that exists in Canada... Any suggestions for us poor schmucks living in the dark ages of WD-40, Simple Green, and Dog Sleds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.