Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
will thicker diff oild in rear cause wheel spin? >

will thicker diff oild in rear cause wheel spin?

will thicker diff oild in rear cause wheel spin?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default will thicker diff oild in rear cause wheel spin?

If I am trying to get less torgue (wheel spin) of of the corner would I want to go with a thicker or thinner diff fluid in the rear.

I am running a Losi 8T2 with center smart diff, 5k in reak and 7k in front right now. On a loose and loomy track I just can't get grip coming out of the corner.

Also, running the stock RTR clutch and flywheel with soft Holeshots for tires. Engine is a Nova 21 Plus 4.

Thanks for any help. Dusty tracks suck
Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by SDelaney
If I am trying to get less torgue (wheel spin) of of the corner would I want to go with a thicker or thinner diff fluid in the rear.

I am running a Losi 8T2 with center smart diff, 5k in reak and 7k in front right now. On a loose and loomy track I just can't get grip coming out of the corner.

Also, running the stock RTR clutch and flywheel with soft Holeshots for tires. Engine is a Nova 21 Plus 4.

first thing i noticed is that you are running holeshots on a loose loomy track, just that will cause your problem. need IBEAMS, CRIMEFIGHTERS, CITYBLOCKS, or somthing along that line for those track conditions, holeshots are for a hard pack dusty track surface. your diffs dont seen to far off to cause you any problems.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Maybe I was wromg, the track is hard packed but is outdoor so it dries out and gets loose on the surface making it very slick. Are holeshots still a bad choice?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Maybe I was wromg, the track is hard packed but is outdoor so it dries out and gets loose on the surface making it very slick. Are holeshots still a bad choice?
thicker rear diff oil will keep it from stepping out when you get on the gas and make you go more streight. but downside of thicker rear diff fluid is it can make your car push into the turns just got to find the right combo. thicker for loose ruted tracks thinner for high bite. thats the way i go.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbright33
thicker rear diff oil will keep it from stepping out when you get on the gas and make you go more streight. but downside of thicker rear diff fluid is it can make your car push into the turns just got to find the right combo. thicker for loose ruted tracks thinner for high bite. thats the way i go.
+1
Old 04-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Suspended

i would not go thicker in diffs, first i would get rid of the smart diff and put 10,000wt in the stocker diff, run 7k front and 3k in rear, as for tires get some soft gridirons (or super soft) or JC sevens. that would be a good start
Old 04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

I thought the Holeshots were compareable to the Gridirons?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Suspended

I thought the Holeshots were compareable to the Gridirons?
grids have a bigger lug than the holeshots, hence better traction. wont push as bad and will have overall better traction front and rear.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

+1

If the track is hard but has a slick loose top to it you need a tire lug big enough to get down to the hard stuff and get some grip. Its then you have to decide if you need super soft or soft, as you want the tire lugs to grip in the dirt. If you have to soft of tire compound it wont try to grab and will just slide...
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 Grid irons also have more space between the lugs than the hole shot, allowing a place for the dust to go.

I dont agree with the push into the corner, when you get the rear to locked down you will get a push from mid to exit under power not on entry. If it pushes because of the rear on corner entry it would be because of to much side bite not a thick rear diff. IMO

Scott
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Okay, so I can pickup some Soft Gridirons... What would everyone recommend for a setup of Diffs. I also have a front Smart Diff I can drop in or I can go back to diff oils.

I will say this though, I love to squeeze the trigger so I need the setup to be as forgiving as possible. I also can drop in a 48 tooth spur if that helps tame it down.

What clutch is a good setup, currently just run the stock RTR. Is there a better flywheel or should I just start with the tires?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Suspended

Okay, so I can pickup some Soft Gridirons... What would everyone recommend for a setup of Diffs. I also have a front Smart Diff I can drop in or I can go back to diff oils.

I will say this though, I love to squeeze the trigger so I need the setup to be as forgiving as possible. I also can drop in a 48 tooth spur if that helps tame it down.

What clutch is a good setup, currently just run the stock RTR. Is there a better flywheel or should I just start with the tires?
all the info you need to know is here, http://www.losi.com/RaceCenter/SetupSheets.aspx
Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i think that is the design of the smart diff, it locks on power so it will cause wheel spin regardless of the rear diff fluid. in loose conditions i run a lighter clutch and lighter center diff (2-3k less). i am currently running 5/5/5 in my d8t, with 5/5/3 the back end was a bit lazy and the truck was slugish around the corners. with 5k in the back it rotates nicely around. if the track is grooved high bite i may go to 5/7/5. the lighter the rear diff fluid, the more on power rear traction, under steer. the thicker the rear fluid, less rear traction and more over steer. i think your best bet is to throw the smart diff in the front when its loose and center when its not.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by inferno13
all the info you need to know is here, http://www.losi.com/RaceCenter/SetupSheets.aspx
What is this and where do I check to see what mine is set to?

Adjustable pivots with 1's up in the front and
0's in the rear.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Suspended

What is this and where do I check to see what mine is set to?

Adjustable pivots with 1's up in the front and
0's in the rear.
it is set up sheets for what ever conditions you are running, pick one and go from there. you will be closer than what you are now, i would get rid of the smart diff first thing if i where you. and take adivice from the guys that are giving it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.