how often do you wash tires with water?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how often do you wash tires with water?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default how often do you wash tires with water?

I am a little worried about my foams degrading if too much water gets inside. How do you guys get the mud off your tires? How often do you wash with water and how do you protect the foams?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I usually wash mine after every heat and main with water and simple green IF the tires last that long. I spray them down with simple green then rinse off with water
Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by warnked
I am a little worried about my foams degrading if too much water gets inside. How do you guys get the mud off your tires? How often do you wash with water and how do you protect the foams?
I wash mine after every race.

Punch a hole in the tire. It'll allow water and dirt to exit instead of getting in there and ruining your foams.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+1 on the simple green & water method.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

closed cell foams are waterproof...wash away...they will last longer than the tire no matter how wet you get them. If they are not closed cell then try not to get them wet at all..plug up the holes and brush off as much dirt and mud you can before using any kind of liquid
Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks jaz, that sounds the best
Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Molded usually means they are not closed cell, but nowadays its its really hard to tell unless you are holding the foam in your hand. Closed cell foams feel more like a suede fabric than rubber. Find the foam you have online and it will tell you if it is closed cell or not.
There is basically 3 types of foam out now:
That original sponge type foams that looks like packing material
Molded foam to fit your tire and rim better
Closed cell, which last the longest and are waterproof
Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I try not to wash tires. Just run a new set unless they are packed with mud then I will pull out a tire brush and do the deed.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I try not to wash tires. Just run a new set unless they are packed with mud then I will pull out a tire brush and do the deed.
Wheres your trash can, ill take the used ones

I Fill a bucket 10-1 water and simple green, dunk a hard bristled brush in it and scrub the tires, then dry them with a towel.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wash 'em at the end of the day (two or three sets) BUT I also blow 'em off with air from the shop on an long screw driver in the center. They have holes that vent, but they clean out just fine. Plus I check the balance befor I run 'em.

Last edited by The Working Man; 04-24-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've got a scrub brush shoe-goo'd bristles up in the bottom of a small rubbermaid container. At the track, I fill it with water and a touch of simple green just to the top of the bristles, grab the dirty tires and scrub away. Works great!!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Clean it with air while the dirt is still wet
Old 04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

holes in the tires help too. few revs on the starter box and they are pretty much dry inside.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Closed cell foams + holes punched in the tire = no problem.

Always punch holes in your tires, not the rims. Dirt and any water you get in will be flung out when running on the track.

If you're using old school cut foams or molded foams that aren't closed cell, just be careful not to get much water in them.

As for cleaning don't run them under water, or dunk them. Just use a scrub brush and a bucket of water + simple green to scrub them off. Then dry them off well with a towel.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
closed cell foams are waterproof...wash away...they will last longer than the tire no matter how wet you get them. If they are not closed cell then try not to get them wet at all..plug up the holes and brush off as much dirt and mud you can before using any kind of liquid
not true... closed cell foams do last longer but they DO degrade over time due to water, i re-used foams once and when i took them out to use again they were slowly falling apart....

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Closed cell foams + holes punched in the tire = no problem.

Always punch holes in your tires, not the rims. Dirt and any water you get in will be flung out when running on the track.

If you're using old school cut foams or molded foams that aren't closed cell, just be careful not to get much water in them.

As for cleaning don't run them under water, or dunk them. Just use a scrub brush and a bucket of water + simple green to scrub them off. Then dry them off well with a towel.
+1, i think the biggest thing is to have NO hole in the wheel and just on the outside of the tire... most VP Pro tires come with holes already in the tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.